Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-21-2018, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11.4 View Post
Now everyone realizes that this squirrel infestation is entirely because people around here started throwing dancing bananas everywhere? Before bananas, did you hear about squirrels taking down cyclists? Seriously.
What he said?

It's true, 100%.

I've seen it, with my very own eyes.

You have too, just admit it.

Old 05-21-2018, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadence90 View Post
What he said?

It's true, 100%.

I've seen it, with my very own eyes.

You have too, just admit it.

Sainthood.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:10 PM

While squirrels are a hazard, my scariest moment came when I was riding a century west of Fort Worth and looked up to see a rattlesnake crossing just in front of me. I hadn't laid rubber like that since I was a kid.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:37 PM

So we're trying to one-up squirrels? I was racing the Sandia Crest road race many many years ago north of Albuquerque. We started well before sunrise to avoid the worst of the heat in this summer race, and were rolling along for a few miles before the vehicles caught up with us. We started riding over some rough stuff and everyone started shouting about thorns, but when headlights caught us, we saw that we were riding across warm asphalt on which thousands and thousands of tarantulas had come out to mate. We were chopping up a lot of them and their bits and pieces were all over our legs and butts. The racing didn't come to much after the early drama.
Old 05-22-2018, 01:13 AM

Speaking of Fort Worth, I was cutting through on the trail between Bellaire dr and Lake Benbrook one morning and a kid said something like "look out for the bull" as we passed in opposite directions...I'm thinking he was being a smart@ss, a moment later come around a blind corner and skid to a halt in front of a longhorn. We stared for a moment and it started walking towards me so I backed off and decided to try and bypass it on some of the dirt trails off the paved one. The longhorn followed me down the trail...ended up doing some pseudo cx on the road bike. Same path I also had to execute a snake hop once as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiretrax View Post
While squirrels are a hazard, my scariest moment came when I was riding a century west of Fort Worth and looked up to see a rattlesnake crossing just in front of me. I hadn't laid rubber like that since I was a kid.
Old 05-22-2018, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiretrax View Post
looked up to see a rattlesnake crossing just in front of me. I hadn't laid rubber like that since I was a kid.
Brown snake in my part of the world... bunnyhopped the bastard at 40kmh.

But squirrels: when in the UK my partner and I were cycling up to Windsor Great Park back in 2005 when a grey squirrel dropped out of an oak tree and landed on the road about 3 feet in front of her wheel. How she missed it I'll never know.
Old 05-22-2018, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11.4 View Post
So we're trying to one-up squirrels? I was racing the Sandia Crest road race many many years ago north of Albuquerque. We started well before sunrise to avoid the worst of the heat in this summer race, and were rolling along for a few miles before the vehicles caught up with us. We started riding over some rough stuff and everyone started shouting about thorns, but when headlights caught us, we saw that we were riding across warm asphalt on which thousands and thousands of tarantulas had come out to mate. We were chopping up a lot of them and their bits and pieces were all over our legs and butts. The racing didn't come to much after the early drama.
Now that's a scene worthy of a horror movie. Yeech!
Old 05-22-2018, 04:08 PM
Evil Genius

Riding around Lake Loretta...a mid-town park and jogging path...in Albany, Georgia in 1989 or so, after a training ride. Mostly looking at girls with my friend, Jay.

Jay is pedaling along, just talking away, when suddenly BAM! A DUCK collides with him, somewhere between the shoulder and the side of his head, maybe square in the neck. Knocks him completely off his bike, and he skids down the road sideways, feathers and lycra everywhere. He lived and DIDN'T break anything, and I didn't interview the duck.

The worst part of it, he was completely unprepared for the fall, so he had to explain to everyone exactly how he got road rash on his face and so little everywhere else. There was talk of instituting a "pillow drill" to prepare for possible future occurrences, but it was mostly a comedic threat. Still, tossing a down pillow at Jay was always good for a laugh.

Don't trust animals around bikes.

Last edited by Michael Maddox; 05-22-2018 at 04:11 PM.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustychisel View Post
I wanna hear Mr Squirrel's version of events... how they barely managed to escape a pack of drugged up cyclists a-weavin' and a-waverin all over the road.
Paging Mr Squirrel. Please pickup the white courtesy phone.
Old 05-23-2018, 07:59 AM

My strategy is usually to keep on my line and cover the brakes just in case, and be ready to bunnyhop. It's worked so far, but some close calls. The worst is when they are headed away from you and suddenly take a quick 180 right back at you. Spring seems to be the most dangerous time around these parts, and it's squirrels on the road and chipmunks in the woods.

I remember seeing a video many years ago of a squirrel that got kicked into the air by a riders rear wheel and then landed right on his back!