Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-15-2017, 02:05 AM

.... ..

Last edited by cadence90; 07-28-2018 at 12:03 AM.
Old 12-15-2017, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montag View Post
Not necessarily. That review is looking specifically at studies measuring B2 agonists' impact on athletic performance (VO2max, endurance time to exhaustion @ 105-110% VO2max, etc) and not FEV1.

So perhaps FEV1 does increase, but not in a way that is actually improving athletic performance by the measures in those studies.
This makes sense. I googled:

"Forced expiratory volume (FEV) measures how much air a person can exhale during a forced breath."

FEV1 measures how much the first second. Did not see any units but I imagine the units are simply units of volume. This is in contrast to, say, V02 max, which measures rate of oxygen actually used per kg body mass per unit time and does this by comparing the amount of oxygen in the air you take in to what you expire.

I will take a wild guess and say that improving FEV1 would only be a benefit to the extent that you are limited by the actual amount of air you can take in and breathe out, and not by your ability to efficiently use the oxygen that is in that air. If you are at your V02 max, taking in more air wont help.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:57 AM
Bike Guy

The old "Misfiring Kidneys Defense"

http://www.velonews.com/2018/01/news...defense_454941
Old 01-17-2018, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovetoclimb View Post
I thought we had heard it all with "vanishing chimeric twin" and "whiskey fueled testosterone." I stand corrected. Perhaps we need a new thread chronicling the best doping excuses over the years?

Greg
Old 01-17-2018, 09:20 AM

Ha!

In the comments section on one of the cycling sites someone wrote that they should have a "Best Lawyer" jersey at the Tour, lol.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:22 AM
Classics Fan

The guy's got asthma worse than Mikey from the Goonies. Leave him alone.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:48 AM

More Of The Same

IMO, Chris Froome is in a perilous positon not only from the drug side the marketing side of the Tour too. He is an uncharismatic and unsympathetic creature, Froome hasn’t given the sport “a star” winner that they can use to good effect. I wouldn’t be surprised if there wasn’t a move and hope to replace him on that metric alone. It’s a show and Sky is stinking it up at the moment. Poor Pinarello.

Froome’s, ahem, defense is as laughable as Tyler Hamilton, Alberto Contador…, the list is quite long isn’t it? Read Froome’s legal team’s sad attempt.

* “Chris Froome’s legal defense in his salbutamol case will be based on an argument that his kidneys temporarily stopped working properly prior to his adverse analytical finding.”

“they are set to suggest that his kidneys temporarily stopped working properly and accumulated high levels of salbutamol.”

“The claim will be that they then returned to proper function, releasing the substance into his urine and thus triggering the positive test”

** AG2R rider Romain Bordet, who finished behind Froome twice now isn’t holding back. He says:

“It would be catastrophic for the image of the race and for the world of cycling, which would be made a mockery of,” he said.
“It would be a farce. How can our sport be credible if the number 1 rode the Tour with the possibility of being retroactively sanctioned? Cycling would make no sense at all.”

*** To be fair it’s been a farce well before Froome. It’s just a continuation of the show. Fellow Tour winning doper Floyd Landis has a great line I like. Floyd says:

WADA is designed to protect the Olympic committee," he said, "they're not designed to catch people using PED's and here we are again. It's been 11 years but the one thing that bothers me is I went through all that and accomplished nothing. I think Lance feels the same way and he has a right to. If you're going to take us out and say 'these guys are the bad guys,' you can't just sit back on your hands and let things return to exactly the way it was."

* https://cyclingtips.com/news/report-...neys-argument/

** http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/bard...g-is-going-on/

*** http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/land...doom-team-sky/
Old 01-17-2018, 12:32 PM
what's a little rust?

Compare and contrast Floyd's incredible stage 17 with whatever it is Sky has inflicted on the racing fan since 2012.

You have to be fun to watch, especially if you're a fraud.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:40 PM
Ex-Mr.President

What I don't get, unless it is just the speediness of the legal system is that he might ride several races including a grand tour with a 2+ year suspension looming over his head.

How can the UCI and all of their bs allow him to continue? Let alone Sky?

Plus are his lawyers and doctors going to simulate another kidney malfunction to prove their case?

Just doesn't make common sense.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:43 PM

Froomey needs to do it short and just admit that he used like 10 inhalers units in a row the same day and assume the punishment.

The problem IMO is that if this thing fails, sky will lose it all.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:46 PM
Ex-Mr.President

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post
Froomey needs to do it short and just admit that he used like 10 inhalers units in a row the same day and assume the punishment.

Agreed, cut a deal maybe to knock down the suspension like some of the old school Lance boys did.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post
Not necessarily a bad thing if Sky goes kaput. Mapei, USPS/Discovery, ONCE, and many others have fallen by the wayside due to doping scandals. The show will go on, the remaining players will go off to other teams, and the entertainment will continue.

Greg
Old 01-17-2018, 01:00 PM

UCI Are Hapless, Helpless Fools Along For The Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave B View Post
What I don't get, unless it is just the speediness of the legal system is that he might ride several races including a grand tour with a 2+ year suspension looming over his head.

How can the UCI and all of their bs allow him to continue? Let alone Sky?

Plus are his lawyers and doctors going to simulate another kidney malfunction to prove their case?

Just doesn't make common sense.
* According to the UCI President himself, David Lappartient, they are being strung along by lawyers and money:

"“Froome is not a rider like any other. He has more money. He can find more experts who can speak for his case. He can submit more exculpatory documents".

My words: Froome will do what a guilty person with money does, string it out as long as he can.

* http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/ra...ditalia-366105
Old 01-17-2018, 01:02 PM

True

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregL View Post
Not necessarily a bad thing if Sky goes kaput. Mapei, USPS/Discovery, ONCE, and many others have fallen by the wayside due to doping scandals. The show will go on, the remaining players will go off to other teams, and the entertainment will continue.

Greg
Truth. It's about the marketing.
Old 01-17-2018, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
You have to be fun to watch, especially if you're a fraud.
Damn right.. if he would just pull some of the crazy stunts like Flandis & Dopestrong on the way to the finish line it'd go a long way.

Man do I miss Armstrong vs Pantani, dope and all!