Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-14-2017, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glepore View Post
I wish there was a lossless source for streaming. I like Amazon Music, but only for casual background listening, the bitrate really sucks when you listen critically, even in a mobile environment.
Tidal offers FLAC (16-bit 44.1kHz CD-quality) streaming for their entire catalog, and have "Master" (24-bit 96kHz) for some of it - that seems to be expanding as time goes by. They're pricier than the rest, but the only service for high-quality streaming that I know of.
Old 12-14-2017, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmudshark View Post
Usenet.
Until Verizon killed it.
Old 12-14-2017, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmudshark View Post
Usenet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by makoti View Post
Until Verizon killed it.
It's been several years since I used a usenet provider. Back then it was trying to find the right local client, winrar, par files, etc.

I recently checked again to see what the monthly rates were. I noticed a lot of providers now will package in a VPN along with it.

I have a bitter pill with it along with IRC as music I worked my tail off to create and record was shared on binaries newsgroups before the final product even got out there. A promotional copy (which I didn't even want sent out) got shared.
Old 12-14-2017, 03:00 PM
Cat 1 Freckles

Also should check whatever smart platforms you run at home (apple tv, roku, samsung/lg/etc smart tv UI) support your music service of choice. Example: Spotify is a good choice (I currently use it with a family plan), but isn't yet offered on Apple TV because it's a compete issue. Not an issue unless you'll primarily be streaming from an apple tv when you want to listen to music. Another example would be Alexa integration (if that's important to you).
Old 12-14-2017, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
iPod Touch for workouts? Get an iPod Shuffle (eBay — New for ~$90, was $50 before Apple discontinued it )
I only listen to my own mp3's offline, and online Pandora and Slacker, but if I wanted to download a service, I'd look into Apple and Amazon Music (haven't done it, so no idea if it can be d/l'd to a shuffle)
My Shuffle hasn't seen much use for a very long time, but don't think it can be loaded with Apple Music that isn't actually purchased. Apple and Amazon control access to d/l and streamed content via the app. As soon as subscription expires, so does access to content that hasn't been purchased. Having "rented" content stored on the Shuffle would not fit that model.

Touch is probably the most basic (Apple) offline answer for APL and AMZ Music because it is app-based which allows app to control access to subscription and content.
Old 12-14-2017, 05:57 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitzmark View Post
My Shuffle hasn't seen much use for a very long time, but don't think it can be loaded with Apple Music that isn't actually purchased. Apple and Amazon control access to d/l and streamed content via the app. As soon as subscription expires, so does access to content that hasn't been purchased. Having "rented" content stored on the Shuffle would not fit that model.

Touch is probably the most basic (Apple) offline answer for APL and AMZ Music because it is app-based which allows app to control access to subscription and content.
yes, this is exactly right. i've been using a basic sony walkman mp3 player for a few years and it's been "OK", but i want access to more content, as well as the ability to download podcasts to listen to while working out.
Old 12-16-2017, 05:11 PM

I just signed up for Amazon Prime Unlimited. 10's of millions of songs. Works on PC's, My Android phones, my Fire TV (which is hooked to my stereo). Can download (haven't tried) to listen offline (I already have 10k songs on the SD card of my phones so don't need that so much).

A quick look sold me: they have the Beatles, Grateful Dead albums including Cornell Barton Hall, found obscure Jerry Garcia/ Merl Saunders Live at the Keystone albums, an "obscure" folk Jazz guitarist named Paul Geremia (5 albums!) obscure, long dead Sandy Denny albums (many). I've read that they also have high resolution downloads, lots of classical. Bought the 99 cent a month three month trial (already a Prime member) that will morph into $7.99 a month for the rest of my life. I can see that I won't be canceling anytime soon.
Old 12-18-2017, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkelly View Post
I just signed up for Amazon Prime Unlimited. 10's of millions of songs. Works on PC's, My Android phones, my Fire TV (which is hooked to my stereo). Can download (haven't tried) to listen offline (I already have 10k songs on the SD card of my phones so don't need that so much).

A quick look sold me: they have the Beatles, Grateful Dead albums including Cornell Barton Hall, found obscure Jerry Garcia/ Merl Saunders Live at the Keystone albums, an "obscure" folk Jazz guitarist named Paul Geremia (5 albums!) obscure, long dead Sandy Denny albums (many). I've read that they also have high resolution downloads, lots of classical. Bought the 99 cent a month three month trial (already a Prime member) that will morph into $7.99 a month for the rest of my life. I can see that I won't be canceling anytime soon.
Which Sandy Denny Albums did you find?
Old 12-19-2017, 12:54 PM

One more vote for Spotify here. Like others, I've had good luck finding almost everything I want (Lemonade by Beyonce is the most urgent example, although they claim they'll have it soon). I download songs, albums and playlists for offline use all the time.

A couple years ago I was overwhelmed by my iTunes library and just deleted all of it. It was then that I switched to a Spotify subscription. I figured I can listen to everything I want and if I'm really missing something that's unavailable I'll just buy a physical copy (which usually comes with a download code). So far it's been working great and I feel much less anxious about my digital footprint.
Old 12-20-2017, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
It seems to be on Apple. I'll ask him why no Spotify next time I see him at Walgreen's in those cute little Umbro shorts.
Louisville is so weird.

and

I like your style!
Old 12-20-2017, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkelly View Post
A quick look sold me: they have the Beatles, Grateful Dead albums including Cornell Barton Hall, found obscure Jerry Garcia/ Merl Saunders Live at the Keystone albums, an "obscure" folk Jazz guitarist named Paul Geremia (5 albums!) obscure, long dead Sandy Denny albums (many). ...
I knew Paul Geremia in RI back in the day; more like an acquaintance. We had a nice discussion about flat top acoustic guitar set up and action one day on the Block Island ferry. Also a Sandy Denny fan. She was the original prototype for a wave of British singers. Also,That Garcia/Saunders record was in rotation back in college.
Old 12-20-2017, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yonderb0y View Post
Tidal offers FLAC (16-bit 44.1kHz CD-quality) streaming for their entire catalog, and have "Master" (24-bit 96kHz) for some of it - that seems to be expanding as time goes by. They're pricier than the rest, but the only service for high-quality streaming that I know of.
Intrigued. I'm sure you need fast internet connection. This is one thing about the post-Napster world. With the emphasis on quantity, convenience, variety, and streamability, compressed formats are the standard.
Old 12-20-2017, 06:33 AM
ergottWheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by marciero View Post
Intrigued. I'm sure you need fast internet connection. This is one thing about the post-Napster world. With the emphasis on quantity, convenience, variety, and streamability, compressed formats are the standard.
Not really. As far as I know video if far more demanding than audio alone. These days people don't think twice about streaming in HD. I get 4k streaming video of some content too.
Old 12-20-2017, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergott View Post
Not really. As far as I know video if far more demanding than audio alone. These days people don't think twice about streaming in HD. I get 4k streaming video of some content too.
60 minutes of 96k hz. 24-bit audio would be about 8.3 GB. According to recommended storage capacity recommendation for memory cards for HD cameras I estimated 60 minutes of 4k video at about 40GB so is more, but not order-of-magnitude more. I would bet that the audio on those HD movies is some compressed format comparable to mp3 or slightly better. I'm sure someone here will know for sure. Maybe there is just not the demand for high-quality sound. I think Google play stores your music in compressed format even if you upload as WAV. That tells me that there is not significant demand. Even the FLAC offered by Tidal is less than the 96k, 24-bit.
Old 12-20-2017, 08:14 AM

...Now another question is whether you can actually hear, for example, 96k vs 44k. The argument with 44k being that to hear a frequency you need to sample at twice the rate, and 22k is already above human hearing. But there are resonances created by tones in the inaudible range which appear as frequencies in the audible range...
With video it is entirely different with the need for more and more driven by bigger and bigger screens.