Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-08-2017, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSteve View Post
Walking the dog has been my cardio this week. And my nose is pretty wrecked from the extreme dry weather. Our balcony flooring went from light gray to very dark in a couple days. Think I’ll wait a few more days to sweep.

It’s pretty bad here....

6 fires and counting; 141,000 acres burned and counting; 212,000 residents evacuated and counting; 8,700 firefighters working day and night and counting.

Sorry, but maybe a thought for those who already have lost and still could lose homes, pets, belongings, rather than about dirty balconies in the Marina?
Old 12-08-2017, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadence90 View Post

6 fires and counting; 141,000 acres burned and counting; 212,000 residents evacuated and counting; 8,700 firefighters working day and night and counting.

Sorry, but maybe a thought for those who already have lost and still could lose homes, pets, belongings, rather than about dirty balconies in the Marina?
I'm quite sure that the balcony comment was a remark on the amount of ash, and that the comment "It's pretty bad here..." referred to the crazy fires and overall situation. The two sentences are not directly linked.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:28 PM

^
I have no idea, as neither one of us wrote those comments.

In any case, there is some very real, terrible suffering and loss going on in the region and that is certainly not at all over yet.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:41 PM
Barely Hanging On

As with all disasters, they are horrible to hear about as "news" items, but they take on a whole different meaning when they affect you. You pay a whole different level of attention when you are checking to see whether your neighborhood is going to get hit. As others have noted on the thread, for those of us who have thus far escaped, this is a reminder about setting up a better plan just in case we aren't so lucky the next time. It's also a reminder that most things can be replaced (at least with something similar). It's kind of funny that these fires, the 2007 fires and the (was it 2014 or 2015 fires) all occurred during my travels.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:53 PM

^
Very true.

I am "up here" from you (West LA), unaffected so far (and not really concerned regarding my own situation), but I do know people who have been severely affected this week, and who have had significant (even if "just material"...i.e. house, gone) aspects of their lives change radically in the space of a few hours. The 1994 Northridge earthquake was obviously much faster than a few hours, and that did affect me.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:43 PM

Quote:

My comment (s) were in no way meant to minimize what’s going on all around me.

I have 3 different sets of friends who are affected by 3 of the fires and I have reached out to all 3 to offer my place for them to stay. Los Angeles is my home and was the birthplace of my mother as well. I am deeply rooted in this city and when tragedy happens...well...it’s truly not about my balcony.

Anyway, sorry that you took my comment the wrong way.
Old 12-08-2017, 11:35 PM

Having just escaped the Sonoma fires I wish all of you in So Cal the same luck!!!
Old 12-09-2017, 12:11 AM
Climber

I am in Ojai (Thomas fire) and am thankful for all of the brave people that protected the majority of the city. It was looking very bleak Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. Very scary to see the flames raging down the mountains and hills at such a rapid pace. The firefighters really had a plan to save structures that worked.
Some really nice gestures that you see around town - People handing out water and dust masks, places offering free food to firefighters and discounts to people in need, neighbors saving houses and working together.

Some not so good - Social media frantic false news, people sending devastating texts that are not true,(No, Johnny cash's house did not burn down!) lack of real information to check up on loved ones and houses. Really scary how people believe anything they see on their phones.

My prayers go out to those who were effected by the fires. I can't imagine loosing a house or a loved one.
Air quality is horrible right now but hopefully it will clear up soon.
Please can we get a low pressure out here and get some rain!?!?!
Old 12-09-2017, 12:57 AM

Quote:
^
I have no idea, as neither one of us wrote those comments.

In any case, there is some very real, terrible suffering and loss going on in the region and that is certainly not at all over yet.
You're right, of course. But one interpretation is generous and the other borderline sociopathic. Until I have evidence otherwise, I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Not trying to step on any toes. Apologies if it comes across that way.

I live north of Santa Barbara. We're good here so far in terms of fire risk, but the air quality is bad. Some of my students who live near Ojai had to evacuate, my wife's coworkers have had to evacuate, and friends and neighbors here are hosting people who have evacuated. I had toyed with the idea of leaving to travel this next week, but will likely stay at least somewhat nearby just in case things get worse. It's absolutely serious. News reports said that particulates (ie, smoke and ash) were at 350+ parts per million for Santa Barbara air quality, when 100 is considered unhealthy. I can only imagine what Ojai and Ventura are like. Best wishes to everyone.
Old 12-09-2017, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luwabra View Post
I live 3.5 miles from where that video was taken, and 2 miles from the mandatory evacuation zone.

I awoke Wednesday to videos of homes burning to the ground a few miles from my house, my wife telling me she'd rather I not go in to work, and packing up suitcases, throwing them in the cars, and waiting to see if we got notice to evacuate. A bit stressy.

I've got nothing to complain about. My home is still standing (knock on wood) and life is good. You've got to appreciate everything good in your life, every day, because it can all change in an instant.

Last edited by dgauthier; 12-09-2017 at 05:17 AM.
Old 12-09-2017, 07:17 AM

wow i know exactly where that is.

surreal.

wishing our so cal forum friends all the luck & best. be safe 1st & foremost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luwabra View Post
Old 12-09-2017, 08:37 AM
Proud Grandpa

Washington DC comes through..in spite of POTUS vs GOC 'feud'...Pence announces....

http://www.latimes.com/local/califor...htmlstory.html
Old 12-09-2017, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanScott View Post
I am in Ojai (Thomas fire) and am thankful for all of the brave people that protected the majority of the city.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhespenheide View Post
I live north of Santa Barbara. We're good here so far in terms of fire risk, but the air quality is bad. Some of my students who live near Ojai had to evacuate...
Wow, it seems several of you are up near Ojai, etc. What a gorgeous area, but really slammed this time. mhespeneide a little safer so far, being up near Los Olivos, but it is still very dangerous and bad all around still. I really wish you all the best.

Of course human life is the primary concern, but these stories about the horses, etc...really make me cry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhespenheide View Post
You're right, of course. But one interpretation is generous and the other borderline sociopathic. Until I have evidence otherwise, I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt.
Yes, and I certainly never meant to imply I thought it was anything close to the latter, nor intentional. I think the remarks were just worded poorly, unfortunately. I am certainly not looking to step on toes or offend either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgauthier View Post
I live 3.5 miles from where that video was taken, and 2 miles from the mandatory evacuation zone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
wow i know exactly where that is.
surreal.
wishing our so cal forum friends all the luck & best. be safe 1st & foremost.
Yes those of you living up near the Getty/Skirball...be safe. That area seems far too often to be a tinderbox.

Old 12-15-2017, 01:35 AM

Unhappy

Dammit, this thing just won't stop.

The Thomas Fire is now the 4th largest wildfire in California history, still only +/-35% contained as of this evening, and today claimed the life of San Diego fire engineer Cory Iverson, 32, married, with a 2-year old daughter and with a second daughter due this spring.

The deaths of fire-fighters are always so hard to read or hear about. They often feel especially tragic, considering all the circumstances.

Old 12-15-2017, 04:37 AM

Yes, Tragic. They tend to be young, often with young families. Hard to imagine what it would be like working on a fire of this size. I imagine would be like going to another planet. Sure looks that way.