Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-05-2017, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zennmotion View Post
I get the jonesing for an MTB in Marin. But given what you have already, why hard tail? It will only extend your terrain a little when you already have a disc gravel bike. Get a FS, and therefore probably not custom. Rent a few or buy something reasonable and used and beat the crap out of it on the terrain you want to extend to, while you figure out what you like- there's a lot more variation in MTBs than road/cross/'gravel' bikes. You sit on them differently, they feel different and if your muscle memory is totally dialed as a roadie then you're likely to get it wrong at first when choosing or even fully knowing what works best for you on a MTB. You already know all this though you're just not listening to yerself! Selling the Festka you just bought? How much paid? How long the wait time? Insanity- I think that wildfire smoke from the Santa Rosa pot fields is drifting over Marin.
It did really smokey here! The renting, borrowing etc etc has been completed. I like the hard tail. The MTB I have in mind will open up the experience quite a bit. I say experience because I ride a lot of the same trails on my gravel. The experience will be different.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akelman View Post
You should sell the road bike to a trusted forumite someone who lives close enough to you that the transaction will be very easy, but not so close that you'll ever have to see another man riding a bike you love. Unless, that is, you're feeling very generous, in which case you should give rather than sell it to that same trusted forumite. You're welcome.
You can see what we have do to the house too.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
I disagree with this, with the right hardtail the difference can be huge!
I think Tony is correct here. Even an older 29er with steep XC geometry and a 100mm fork is night and day different from a drop-bar gravel bike when the trail gets a touch on the gnarly side. Make it a plus bike with the long/low/slack geo and a 140 fork like a 44 Marauder and there is very little you can't handle short of Red Bull Rampage downhill.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
I think Tony is correct here. Even an older 29er with steep XC geometry and a 100mm fork is night and day different from a drop-bar gravel bike when the trail gets a touch on the gnarly side. Make it a plus bike with the long/low/slack geo and a 140 fork like a 44 Marauder and there is very little you can't handle short of Red Bull Rampage downhill.
Probably going 120 or 130mm form but everything else is in the plan.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:01 AM

Yes, wait until tax return season and drive it over to Berkeley.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:10 AM

Haven't read any of the comments, but it's your call. For me personally, I can't imagine not owning at least one road bike.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:06 AM
Adrenaline Junkie

You ride a load of gravel (based on pics), could always put some road tires/wheels on the gravel bike if you're doing a road-only ride. I ride drop bar off road a lot but the mtb goes there even more. Fun, playful and it's easier on the body : ) Ease of wheel swaps made the move away from a dedicated road bike really easy for me (they are disc, same hubs, different tires).
Old 12-05-2017, 11:17 AM

As others have said, before going custom, I HIGHLY suggest you demo a bunch of different bike styles, buy something used, or buy a cheap steel bike in the style you 'think' you want. There are so many different styles and setups for mountain bikes these days, it doesn't make any sense to go custom until you have tried a bunch of stuff and formulated a much better idea of what you like to ride, as well as where you like to ride. From 29+ rigid, to 29er XC hardtail, 27.5+ hardtail, long travel 27.5 hardtail, and then the various permutations of full suspension bikes, from XC to freeride to Enduro , etc....

I say again, you will figure out what you like to ride after riding a bunch of different styles of bikes, and it will depend also on what kind of trails you end up liking. If you end up liking the rougher stuff like Skeggs, a FS bike might be a better option. That stuff can of course be ridden on a hardtail, you just have to take the rock gardens a bit slower. If you end up likeing the fireroads and smoother trails like Tamarancho better, a hardtail, or even a rigid Plus bike mike be a better option.

And yes, if not going FS, stick with steel, or even Ti!

Oh, and keep the road bike!
Old 12-05-2017, 11:26 AM
Old, Fat & Slow

I'll echo the 'keep the road bike' sentiment, but add 'buy a garage queen mtn bike.' You can get very nice mtn bikes for pennies on the dollar 'cause someone thinks a new bike will cure his riding woes.

I love mtn biking, but hate driving to go riding. Makes mtn biking where I am now tough 'cause all the trails are at least 30min away by car

M
Old 12-05-2017, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeNY View Post
As others have said, before going custom, I HIGHLY suggest you demo a bunch of different bike styles, buy something used, or buy a cheap steel bike in the style you 'think' you want. There are so many different styles and setups for mountain bikes these days, it doesn't make any sense to go custom until you have tried a bunch of stuff and formulated a much better idea of what you like to ride, as well as where you like to ride. From 29+ rigid, to 29er XC hardtail, 27.5+ hardtail, long travel 27.5 hardtail, and then the various permutations of full suspension bikes, from XC to freeride to Enduro , etc....

I say again, you will figure out what you like to ride after riding a bunch of different styles of bikes, and it will depend also on what kind of trails you end up liking. If you end up liking the rougher stuff like Skeggs, a FS bike might be a better option. That stuff can of course be ridden on a hardtail, you just have to take the rock gardens a bit slower. If you end up likeing the fireroads and smoother trails like Tamarancho better, a hardtail, or even a rigid Plus bike mike be a better option.

And yes, if not going FS, stick with steel, or even Ti!

Oh, and keep the road bike!
Already been done. The evaluation period is over as I know what I want.
Old 12-05-2017, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
Already been done. The evaluation period is over as I know what I want.
OK then. I didn't get that from your earlier posts, sorry. Then I guess it comes down to if you can afford to keep both. If 44 is like most of the other custom builders, you have some time to decide! Get on the list and mull over your options. If it were me, I'd sell the road bike and get a decent set of road wheels for the gravel bike.
Old 12-05-2017, 12:30 PM

hot damn, what size is the festka? whistle sounds and im shopping for something new light and racey...
Old 12-05-2017, 12:51 PM

I think you will always be second guessing yourself if you don’t get a custom build designed for what you want to use it for. You live in a great area for that type of riding. Go custom and never look back.
Old 12-05-2017, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzilliox View Post
hot damn, what size is the festka? whistle sounds and im shopping for something new light and racey...
here are all the details

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showt...70#post2273970
Old 12-05-2017, 01:38 PM

How much MTB riding is available in Marin? I know it's the home to MTBs but it seems like there is very little single track and not much space. I may be totally wrong though. I can't imagine not having a road bike nor can I imagine not having an MTB. Granted, I'm on single track after a 3-4 mile ride and can ride for hours. I take the gravel bike on the trails but stick to the easy ones. I have so much more fun on the MTB.

Have fun!