Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-04-2017, 11:33 PM
Vendor

The road riding in the SF Bay Area is so good that I'd feel I'd be missing out if I didn't have a dedicated road bike. Personally, if I could have only three bikes it'd be a dedicated road bike, a disc gravel that could fit a 43, and a full squish 29er. That would cover just about everything including mtn bike trips to Tahoe, Downiville, etc. Sure, you could ride them on a hard tail (and I have), but a modern squish is much more fun and leaves you so much less beat up.

My fleet includes a Kirk, DS cx, and Ripley. The CX is a rim brake and maxes out at a 35. I used to think that was ok and a good compromise for road/dirt but lately I've been wanting something meatier. I have a 650b Rock Lobster hardtail that I'm in the middle of converting to a gravel drop bar with a rigid fork and WTB Byways. The Lobster has been hanging on a hook for a long time because I can't handle riding a hardatil on some of the gnarlier trails around here.
Old 12-04-2017, 11:44 PM

Keep the festka and get a used, inexpensive MTB. Even a 26er with a suspension fork will get you on to terrain that you can't touch with the festka. Plus it's a lot more fun to take mediocre bike to the limit than it is to baby something expensive and agonize over every scratch!
Old 12-05-2017, 12:14 AM

Here’s a crazy thought - keep the road bike (it’s beautiful), sell the gravel bike and get a XC / Trail bike like a Pivot 429 SL or 429 Trail, Ibis Ripley, etc. honestly, after having a gravel bike and a stable of mountain bikes I’ve decided to sell the gravel bike. Just a thought
Old 12-05-2017, 12:19 AM

I cannot possibly advise as well as others here already have so all I can say is...

...wow, this bicycle is...

...seriously beautiful.

Hate red, love this.
Old 12-05-2017, 03:30 AM

That Festka is a keeper.

You feelin' ok?

SPP
Old 12-05-2017, 05:27 AM

I would have to say a proper road bike is the way to go for efficient riding on nice roads. Like others mentioned, you can get into a decent Mtn bike these days without spending thousands (although you can easily).
Old 12-05-2017, 05:42 AM

Get a mountain bike. Never realized I needed one until I had one. Kris@44 does stellar work. Santa Cruz makes em perfect right off the shelf too, really nice and at your door tomorrow. Keep it simple, hardtail or ordinary 29er FS.

Road bikes feel entirely unnecessary this time of year. But don't sell it. Wait. You'll feel differently in a few months when the sun is warm and shining again.

Instagram

Last edited by sparky33; 12-05-2017 at 05:45 AM.
Old 12-05-2017, 05:48 AM

I say of you have the space and funds for it keep the road bike, gravel bike and get a mountain bike as well. Of course I am a bike addict with three road bikes, two gravel bikes and a rigid 29er. All of which are fun, serve their purpose and add a bit of variety when I find the time to ride.
I also live in the Northeast and like having a titanium road bike for foul weather and I will more than likely end up with another fat bike when the snow starts piling up.
I will say that the 29er I built up is a lot more capable than the gravel bike when things get a bit gnarly.
Old 12-05-2017, 06:00 AM
ZhugeLiang

Would you give away a son to adopt a daughter or vice versa?
Old 12-05-2017, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
What are your thoughts giving up a road bike for a mountain bike?
This is a trick question, right?
Old 12-05-2017, 06:47 AM

You don’t sell a bike like that to get a MTB, IMHO.
Old 12-05-2017, 07:00 AM

Have to agree with a previous post that mountain bike is worthy addition, custom total overkill.
Old 12-05-2017, 07:01 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
Since its winter....

I have a gravel bike which I spend 80% of my bike riding time on, a brand new road bike (delivered in August) and an errand bike. The gravel bike I really ride on mountain bike trails and fire roads of Marin. The bike is fine but it does show its limits descending on technical stuff. I got the jones for a mountain bike which would open the trails up a bit more compared to my gravel bike. If I buy one I plan to go custom probably with 44 as his bikes are so rad.

I am wondering if I should sell my road bike to fund the mountain bike buy. The gravel could become my road bike although my road bike is far superior on the road. What are the downsides not having a dedicated road bike? What are your thoughts giving up a road bike for a mountain bike?

This:

photo credit Derek Yara

to

This

Sell the gravel bike, buy a MTB, put bigger tires on road bike, ride on fire roads and road...
Old 12-05-2017, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Sell the gravel bike, buy a MTB, put bigger tires on road bike, ride on fire roads and road...
Not a bad idea at all.

Remember that bikes are for riding and its not how many you own but how much you ride and how much you enjoy riding.
Old 12-05-2017, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Gravel bike will not pay for the MTB. plus its the bike I ride most. I cannot imagine not having a gravel bike. I have had one in some form for over 10 years now. I view the MTB to be more for social stuff. The Festka will accept a max of 28's. Plus, my Bora Ultra IIs are tubular. Would suck to ride dirt on a pair of 28 tubulars and get a flat. Also I got a ceramic speed BB on the Festka. I dont want to get that BB all mucked up.