Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-14-2017, 06:18 PM

Why did your wrench look at spoke tension when there is lateral play due to hubs bearings? Did he try to adjust the play out of the bearings?

White T11 hubs shield their bearings pretty well and if the bearings need replacement it's very easy to do.
Old 12-14-2017, 06:23 PM

I would check into some ksyriums on sale over at Colorado cyclist or excel -
Old 12-14-2017, 06:27 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikej View Post
You forgot the
Old 12-14-2017, 07:02 PM

T11's and HED Belgiums are about as bomber a wheel build, especially in your spoke count, as one could suggest. I've seen specimens of every hub made that's failed -- that counts King, DT, Dura Ace, Campy, you name it -- but isolated failures are not a pattern in these hubs, nor in these rims. Nothing saves a rim with a bad pothole, so I'd never blame the rims. If a T11 goes bad, anything could. I've seen them used for cross and gravel all year and never expect them to need much in the way of service. Even a wheel build failure wouldn't mess up the hub as you described. You just had bad luck. You can change hardware for variety, but you won't find anything that's more bombproof than what you were riding.
Old 12-14-2017, 07:23 PM
Classics Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by moobikes View Post
Why did your wrench look at spoke tension when there is lateral play due to hubs bearings? Did he try to adjust the play out of the bearings?

White T11 hubs shield their bearings pretty well and if the bearings need replacement it's very easy to do.
I think he was trying to diagnose the issue and was trying to rule stuff out, process of elimination approach. Checked measurements of pretty much everything. Including the bearings, by the way, that did not come back as out of spec.

Talked directly to White Industries about it, and together they felt the most likely cause was bad bearings (either the ones that are in there currently, or the previous ones that may have created a tiny amount of play somewhere).

If the rim was intact, I'd say just go ahead and put new bearings in and see what happens. But since the rim is toast, it is a risk benefit thing.

Kind of feel like it might be easier to just do the "buy once, cry once" approach. New build, new rim, new spokes, new hub...

Other option is I do the build around the existing hub, trying to save the cost of the hub. but then if it ends up being a problem with the hub, I need to tear it down and have it built up again with a new hub. 2x building cost and the cost of a new hub. AND even if it does work, it is a hub with a fair amount of miles on it -- should have plenty of miles left, but 15K miles over rough roads and a 190+ pound rider is not a trivial amount of stress.

If you want to take a flyer on the rear hub, I'd probably be willing to sell it at a good price to someone that knows the the whole story. I wouldn't feel comfortable selling it just as "used", because of the issues I've had -- even if I can't say for certain what the issue is.
Old 12-14-2017, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
those freehubs are readily available.

but alternatively, and believe me, it's hard to say this as a campy guy - dura ace hubs are absolutely perfection IMO.

super easy to adjust and excellent bearings. you could easily keep a set of DA hubs going for longer than you'll be cycling. they're spendy, but worth every penny.
Yep, these 1989ish hubs were just laced to some Pacenti SL23 rims for this bike. Hubs are still in awesome shape!

And the ones on my 87 Prologue are still going strong too!
Old 12-14-2017, 08:16 PM

Honestly? I would suggest Phil Wood hubs with Velocity A23 rims and DT spokes.
Old 12-14-2017, 08:31 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Hard to beat D/A hubs for longevity. 6800 only if you're only going 32h or 36h

The Ancient Tater likes the DT Swiss rims, but I haven't built with em. I have built with A23s, Open Pros, HED Belgiums (not the +), and a few others over the years. For road rims, it really is less about the rim than the biulder. Its not like mtn bike wheels that see more severe duty.

YMMV etc

M
Old 12-14-2017, 08:50 PM
なんでやねん

Quote:
Fulcrum Quattro/Campy Scirocco if you want stout prebuilt ... I hammered a pothole with mine harder than I've ever hit anything on a bike, and you couldn't tell that anything happened. Decently aero too but heavy.
Old 12-15-2017, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
You forgot the
I’ve never had anything last as long as k’s-
Old 12-15-2017, 09:22 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
I’ve never had anything last as long as k’s-
10-4 but it'll be a shame when you wear out or kill the rim that ya gotta make the hub into a pen holder..same gripe with any 'wheelouttaboxes'...
Old 12-15-2017, 11:22 AM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
10-4 but it'll be a shame when you wear out or kill the rim that ya gotta make the hub into a pen holder..same gripe with any 'wheelouttaboxes'...
Ksyriums (or pretty much any pre-built Mavic wheel) is a 5-year wheelset. After that, Mavic doesn't stock replacement parts.

The wheels will last longer than the 5 years, but you're going to run into problems finding parts for them. ...at least from an LBS's perspective

M
Old 12-15-2017, 02:20 PM
Super Moderator

As a forum heavyweight, usually between 220 and 255, I have broken more than my fair share of wheels over the years. I am of the belief that a good wheel builder is more important than the bits used to build the wheels.

I use a cranky and opinionated ex navy pilot in Boulder who builds great wheels when he isn't insulting my Shimano on the forum. You also have Peter White just down the road from you in Hillsborough, who was my wheel builder before I starting using Old P. Peter White is even more cranky and opinionated, but he can build a good wheel. In addition, he will refuse to use components he doesn't approve, so you get good bits with him.

For my last few sets, I've picked up some new 6800 hubs on ebay and built them with Archetypes and have been very happy.
Old 12-15-2017, 02:43 PM
Serotta Newbie

Quote:
DT350, Record, shimano hubs laced to DT, Velocity Or H+Son rims using Sapim Race Or DT Comp spokes, 32/32 laced 3 cross, brass nipps.
oldpotatoe built me a pair with Ultegra 6800, H+Sons Archtype and Sapim in 32/32. They are nice looking and ride great. One happy purchaser here. And I don't have to worry about eating that extra slice of holiday pie like I did with previous low spoke count wheels.

Mark
Old 12-15-2017, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee View Post
Ksyriums (or pretty much any pre-built Mavic wheel) is a 5-year wheelset. After that, Mavic doesn't stock replacement parts.

The wheels will last longer than the 5 years, but you're going to run into problems finding parts for them. ...at least from an LBS's perspective

M
I broke a rear spoke on a new pair of K's that hadn't seen more that 50 miles. I was pushing tempo on a smooth, flat road. I weight a buck eighty. I purchased them from Competitive Cyclist when they had a 100% return guarantee. I stuffed them back in the box, and attached a postage stamp on it. Never again.