Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-16-2020, 05:13 PM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

Ipswich, MA driver charged

I can’t remember where we talked about this but...

The woman who hit the family of 3 who were out cycling early on in this covid eta, killing the father, has been charged by the DA with homicide by negligent operation, marked lane violations, and texting while operating a motor vehicle.

Hopefully this will be a “statement” case here in MA

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 04-16-2020, 05:21 PM

I'm sure that driver is hating himself(or herself) but how dumb can you be to be so immersed in your phone to do this.

I started riding ~25 years ago and never had to worry about texting drivers . Just people throwing stuff out the window at me lol (one time ice cream)
Old 04-16-2020, 05:30 PM

Some kids threw a full, unopened can of beer at me once in the 70s. Hit me in the stomach; much better than a texting driver like we have today.
Old 04-16-2020, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
Some kids threw a full, unopened can of beer at me once in the 70s. Hit me in the stomach; much better than a texting driver like we have today.
holy - if that hit your head/.. (because in the 70s wearing helmets was pretty rare)

So when that ice cream got thrown at me, I was about 1 mile away from the local police station. I went in and tried to report it, had the license plate, description of the person who did it, etc.

The police totally dissuaded me from it. Saying it's going to be a he said/she said thing. I walked out in disgust.
Old 04-16-2020, 05:47 PM

It’s a crime. Treat it as such.
Old 04-16-2020, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooneej View Post
I'm sure that driver is hating himself(or herself) but how dumb can you be to be so immersed in your phone to do this.

I started riding ~25 years ago and never had to worry about texting drivers . Just people throwing stuff out the window at me lol (one time ice cream)
Pizza. Guy was driving, his lady friend in the passenger seat. He's screaming at me, she's trying to calm him down. He launches the pizza out her window at me, right in front of her face, and sped off. I can only imagine how pleasant the rest of that drive was.
Old 04-16-2020, 06:06 PM

Quote:
holy - if that hit your head/.. (because in the 70s wearing helmets was pretty rare)

So when that ice cream got thrown at me, I was about 1 mile away from the local police station. I went in and tried to report it, had the license plate, description of the person who did it, etc.

The police totally dissuaded me from it. Saying it's going to be a he said/she said thing. I walked out in disgust.
I did wear a helmet, though it probably was a leather one. Yes, it could have been really bad, but now the texting driver throws the entire car at you.
Old 04-16-2020, 06:35 PM
Vendor

Quote:

Only cause they got caught doing something wrong. But given how little time this kind of offense gets, they'll be out in 30 days. Just watch.
Old 04-17-2020, 08:20 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocipede View Post
Only cause they got caught doing something wrong. But given how little time this kind of offense gets, they'll be out in 30 days. Just watch.
Quote:
homicide by negligent operation
Well I sure ain't a lawyer and undoubtedly this will be plea bargained lower but I doubt it'll be a 30 day stint in jail. I'm guessing some months, probably not years and a felony on their record.
Old 04-17-2020, 08:31 AM

This took long enough! I figured she "knew someone" and this would be declared "simple accident"...

Thanks for the update.
My pals and I ride there all the time.

Tragic.
Old 04-17-2020, 08:42 AM

I quickly Googled and I think MA doesn't have a 3 foot passing law, still. Might take a few more deaths, or maybe a cyclist getting elected into some position where they could propose a law, etc.

This is from a ride 10 years ago in MA - we were going about 20 mph, truck maybe 35-40. What you don't see is that my friend is rolling his shoulders to the right, he was dodging because it felt really close. Police said there was nothing to do (showed them the clip). My friend next to truck is a legislative lawyer and understood there was nothing to do, except to make a report.

Old 04-17-2020, 08:51 AM

There have been other cases in MA, perhaps with alcohol involved that have resulted in years in prison.

Who knows.. hopefully this will one will get a sentence that sends a message to the rest of the public.

It was probably a deserted road with good visibility and little traffic given current circumstances.. no excuse for texting.

I think a lot of people aren't aware MA changed to absolutely no hands-on mobile use for anyone still. We had a period where only junior operators had the full restriction, which was a stupid thing. But we've changed it to all operators now.

Behavior is still terrible.. when I take my son to the school bus in the morning I like to count the drivers who are playing with their phones as I sit there and wait.. it's terrible, > 50% for sure. And not talking with the phone in their ear and eyes looking out.. I'm talking about looking down operating the phone.
Old 04-17-2020, 09:13 AM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

Heartening to see progress on the case. Justice is naturally needed.
Old 04-17-2020, 09:22 AM

This happened on a road I ride regularly - usually somewhat busy, but good shoulders, and great visibility on the day of the incident. If you take a look at the pictures in the news articles it is a good road to ride.

No excuses for road conditions, weather or visibility.
Old 04-17-2020, 09:22 AM

I see drivers all the time texting/using cell phone while driving. See it a lot on the interstate that I take to work sometimes. 65 mph posted speed limit, you're getting passed if not doing at least 75. Folk holding the phone on top of steering wheel at those speeds. Thought about going alongside and blowing the horn, but that would probably cause a wreck.

On a group ride last year we were behind a driver who sat through an entire green light because they were on their phone. A few riders hollered "Get off your phone!". Window opened - out came the middle finger.

Followed a guy once who was on his phone for a good while going down a busy street downtown. Finally pulled up beside at light, observed him still on phone. Rolled window down, told him to get off the phone and pay attention. I was told to "F-off and mind my own business". Guy sped off when light changed - still with phone going.