Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-01-2019, 07:14 PM
aka RAEKWON

disc brake lever too much travel, do I have to re bleed?

I bled this brakes in summer, the back one was always worst but was usable. The front is absolutely perfect. I am trying to get the rear to be as good as the front, at least better. The lever is a bit mushy and if I really press it it almost touches the handlebars.

Short of rebleeding, is there anything I can do to get fix it? This is a campy potenza shifter.
Old 01-01-2019, 07:23 PM

Sometimes you can remove the wheel, and without a block in the caliper pull the lever slightly to help recenter the pads and reduce lever throw. Pull gently while watching how much the pistons push together for the amount of lever pull.

You may need to re-bleed the line, but I would try something along this line as it may produce a favorable outcome. Obviously don't pull too hard at first unless you want to press the Pistons back into the caliper. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-01-2019, 07:24 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
Sometimes you can remove the wheel, and without a block in the caliper pull the lever slightly to help recenter the pads and reduce lever throw. Pull gently while watching how much the pistons push together for the amount of lever pull.

You may need to re-bleed the line, but I would try something along this line as it may produce a favorable outcome. Obviously don't pull too hard at first unless you want to press the Pistons back into the caliper. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I did this and did not help, as soon as wheel goes back in it goes back to the same
Old 01-01-2019, 07:31 PM
Administrator

admittedly, i have never used bicycle disc brakes, but if the lever feels mushy and travel is too far on a moto, (or a car for that matter) - yes, either you have a leak, the brake fluid is contaminated, or there is air in the system.
Old 01-01-2019, 07:33 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
admittedly, i have never used bicycle disc brakes, but if the lever feels mushy and travel is too far on a moto, (or a car for that matter) - yes, either you have a leak, the brake fluid is contaminated, or there is air in the system.
yeah, it was the first brake I did so there is probably air. I may just have to rebleed. Its a PITA since I am newb. Admittedly, I did do a great job on the front brake

since this oil is relatively new, when I rebleed can I just keep this oil in there and try to get rid of trapped air or should I put new oil in there?

Last edited by R3awak3n; 01-01-2019 at 07:38 PM.
Old 01-01-2019, 07:40 PM

youtube the procedure.. depending on whose brake system you are using...it's simple.

I've had to do this numerous times recently... sometimes back..sometimes front.
it happens.
Old 01-01-2019, 07:42 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spdntrxi View Post
youtube the procedure.. depending on whose brake system you are using...it's simple.

it happens.
I mean that is how I bled the brakes in the first place. Campy has excellent video instructions. I will probably just re do it.

that said, doing the ziptie on the lever overnight thing, see if that works

Last edited by R3awak3n; 01-01-2019 at 07:48 PM.
Old 01-01-2019, 08:27 PM

Make sure the pads still have some meat on them, if I bleed...new pads. They may not have been replaced this summer and have worn since

If they are shimano you can burp them
Old 01-01-2019, 08:49 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
Make sure the pads still have some meat on them, if I bleed...new pads. They may not have been replaced this summer and have worn since

If they are shimano you can burp them
pads still have a lot of life in them. they are campy but could probably still burp?
Old 01-01-2019, 09:35 PM

Rebleed
Old 01-01-2019, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
I mean that is how I bled the brakes in the first place. Campy has excellent video instructions. I will probably just re do it.

that said, doing the ziptie on the lever overnight thing, see if that works
That's my favorite trick for motocycles too. Ironically, I use an old Binda toeclip strap.

Two other tricks that help are to 1) remove the bleed screws a wrap the threads in Teflon tape. This prevents air from get past the threads when the bleed screw is cracked open. 2) After bleeding, gently tap the entire system from the caliper up to the MC with a rubber mallet. This will discuss lodge tiny trapped buddles. 3) Install speed bleeds, they save countless hours, especially with multiple bikes to maintain. Not sure it they're a available for bicycles however.
Old 01-02-2019, 06:34 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
I am trying to get the rear to be as good as the front, at least better. The lever is a bit mushy and if I really press it it almost touches the handlebars.
Short of rebleeding, is there anything I can do to get fix it?
Quote:
Quote:
Two other tricks that help are to 1) remove the bleed screws a wrap the threads in Teflon tape. This prevents air from get past the threads when the bleed screw is cracked open. 2) After bleeding, gently tap the entire system from the caliper up to the MC with a rubber mallet. This will discuss lodge tiny trapped buddles. 3) Install speed bleeds, they save countless hours, especially with multiple bikes to maintain. Not sure it they're a available for bicycles however.
Quote:
yes, either you have a leak, the brake fluid is contaminated, or there is air in the system.
Quote:
it happens.

Relax, it's 5 degrees outside........
Old 01-02-2019, 06:39 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post

Relax, it's 5 degrees outside........
Huh?
Old 01-02-2019, 06:42 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
Huh?
Just waiting for somebody(not you) to slam me for starting an anti-disc brake tangent..kinda like the rapha thread..it's cold, it's dark, I'm grumpy...
Old 01-02-2019, 07:23 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Just waiting for somebody(not you) to slam me for starting an anti-disc brake tangent..kinda like the rapha thread..it's cold, it's dark, I'm grumpy...
but they are campy brakes!

I will be the first to admit, setup on discs is a pain but ridding in the snow last week I really appreciated the discs. I will re-bleed it today and if I can get the back to be like the front, its bliss (seriously, the front brake feels amazing, campy really did a good job with the system)