Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-17-2023, 03:15 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwess1234 View Post
Need to build a shelf for the tamper and tools, but close to complete.
I like those new Acaia grinders, pretty nice
Old 02-15-2023, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
I like those new Acaia grinders, pretty nice
I love coffee. But I’m new to the bean big leagues, and there’s a LOT of pages to sift through. Can anyone recommend a good sub $100 grinder that produces a consistent grind, isn’t terribly noisy, doesn’t make a huge mess and isn’t a PITA to clean. (The last two are really important)

Thanks.
Old 02-15-2023, 08:25 PM

Handground
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2023-02-15 at 8.24.43 PM.jpg (17.8 KB, 228 views)
Old 02-15-2023, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
I love coffee. But I’m new to the bean big leagues, and there’s a LOT of pages to sift through. Can anyone recommend a good sub $100 grinder that produces a consistent grind, isn’t terribly noisy, doesn’t make a huge mess and isn’t a PITA to clean. (The last two are really important)

Thanks.
Pick two...

in all honesty. It really depends on what you need. Just doing pour over? need to dial in espresso? More than one cup at a time?

$100 doesn't get you much in the way of an electric grinder. Maybe a OXO, Bodum or Capresso. The bodum can be pretty messy. The Capresso sounds like you are strangling a cat. Havne't played with the OXO.

Charliedid has a good suggestion with just a hand grinder. $100 will get you close to a 1Zpresso or Timemore. Nice grinders for sure with a more even grind than you'd get from the electrics. They question is capacity. Maybe 35 gm...which would get you about 10oz for a pour over.

a drip machine will be much more forgiving with grind, so the aforementioned ones will probably get the job done.
Old 02-16-2023, 12:13 AM

What they said.

I have a $129 1Zpresso JX that I use multiple times a day and it's replaced my fancier, louder, and waaaaay messier Fellow Ode along with a marriage-endingly-loud but less messy Barratza Encore.

30g of beans takes about 30 seconds to grind, it's got a nice reassuring heft, and feels (to me) precise and high-end. The effort isn't bad at all and I never get annoyed by having to do it. There is no mess. Just tap the two halves together over the trash and you're good.

The numbers on the dial are on the smallish side but I can live with that.
Old 02-16-2023, 11:02 AM

Nothing too crazy on my coffee bench, but I've fallen into the slippery slope of next level coffee enjoyment! Need to start shopping of a decent grinder.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Moccamaster50.jpg (131.5 KB, 187 views)
Old 02-16-2023, 11:48 AM
Tired Member

If you're just doing drip, get a Baratza Encore. It's a reliable burr grinder.
Old 02-16-2023, 11:59 AM

After my favorite automatic drip coffee maker (Capresso) with built-in grinder finally died after many years of excellent service, I switched over to the pour-over method. I decided to try the $100 Oxo burr grinder, and so far after several years, I've been satisfied with the grind quality and consistency (for me, YMMV). I measure and grind only what I need, and I keep my beans in an airtight container until needed.

I had a Handground hand grinder that worked well initially, but the grind quality deteriorated after about a year of mild usage, and I eventually tossed it in the trash and moved to the Oxo.
Old 02-16-2023, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren128 View Post
After my favorite automatic drip coffee maker (Capresso) with built-in grinder finally died after many years of excellent service, I switched over to the pour-over method. I decided to try the $100 Oxo burr grinder, and so far after several years, I've been satisfied with the grind quality and consistency (for me, YMMV). I measure and grind only what I need, and I keep my beans in an airtight container until needed.

I had a Handground hand grinder that worked well initially, but the grind quality deteriorated after about a year of mild usage, and I eventually tossed it in the trash and moved to the Oxo.
Thanks for all the suggestions. Really appreciated. Did a little research on the Handground. The reviews left me a bit concerned.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4486.jpg (84.4 KB, 166 views)
Old 02-16-2023, 01:09 PM

I had an Oxo, it was fine for pourover. I have been using a JX-Pro since late 2020 though, every day, twice a day and it is FLAWLESS. I don't do home espresso anymore, but it was a fantastic espresso grinder. I cannot recommend 1zpresso enough. I'd buy one of these and never look back:

https://1zpresso.coffee/product/jx/

Basically maintenance free. Quiet compared to a motor. Takes no time to grind due to the big burr set. If you're making espresso then get the JX Pro.
Old 02-16-2023, 01:31 PM

Here is a weird one for you - my Rancilio portafilter has come apart - the threaded rod has disconnected from the grip handle. I can hear the nut rattling inside the handle, so I am sure it will all reconnect, but how to I access that hardware to reattach the two items?

Does the piece with the Rancilio logo pop off, exposing everything? the parts appear in good shape, so I don't want to muscle this stuff and break it (as I have done once or twice in the past).

FYI, the handle is wet - not damaged…
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 14A101F5-A563-413D-8BE2-C4BBF18BF22A.jpg (144.6 KB, 164 views)
Old 02-16-2023, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tctyres View Post
Yep
Old 02-16-2023, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tctyres View Post
I was looking at the Baratza a few months ago, as an option. I looked again recently and the price has gone up a huge, like $50.00. I'm sure it's still a worthwhile choice.

Last edited by FierteTi52; 02-16-2023 at 09:24 PM.
Old 02-16-2023, 08:52 PM

Just cleaned out my Baratza Vario W earlier today. Blew it out with a compressed air blow nozzle from my air compressor. Worked a treat.
Old 02-16-2023, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbrwn View Post
I had an Oxo, it was fine for pourover. I have been using a JX-Pro since late 2020 though, every day, twice a day and it is FLAWLESS. I don't do home espresso anymore, but it was a fantastic espresso grinder. I cannot recommend 1zpresso enough. I'd buy one of these and never look back:

https://1zpresso.coffee/product/jx/

Basically maintenance free. Quiet compared to a motor. Takes no time to grind due to the big burr set. If you're making espresso then get the JX Pro.
OK. I’m sold. The reviews are sterling.

Plus, there’s this review: https://coffeechronicler.com/1zpresso-jx-review/

The guy has a hard-to-place European accent, a full beard, an immaculate haircut, and he’s a “licensed Q Arabica grinder.” I mean, really. If I can’t trust him, who can I trust?

Tags
coffee, coffee espresso