Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-05-2023, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
ok glad they did that if you told them you wanted an espresso grinder.

its simple.

grind 18g of coffee, tamp, pull a shot. scale under the cup when it hits 36g check the time.

if its much under 25 sec then next time grind a little corser (like a tiny bit, like half to a full number on the eureka), if its much over 30 secs then grind a little finer. once this is dialed then start experimenting and tasting and see what you like better. Some coffees I like 1 to 3 ratio (usually lighter roasts). Give that a try
I think your coarser and finer recommendations are reversed…
Old 01-05-2023, 08:18 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa86 View Post
I think your coarser and finer recommendations are reversed…
they are, I blame it on ESL..
Old 01-05-2023, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Crush View Post
It takes discipline, but life is too short for bad coffee.

My wife got me a bonVIVO moka pot for Christmas and I'd forgotten how much I enjoy a good batch in the early afternoon. Never had an Aeropress. Might be time.
In my opinion, the Moka pot makes better coffee than the AeroPress does, I have both, but I don't think there is a comparison! In fact, if you want a better cup of coffee a French Press will make it better than the AeroPress will, just my opinion of course, I also have a French Press, I never even use the AeroPress anymore, heck even my pour over makes a better cup of coffee than the AeroPress! Needless to say, the AeroPress is my least favorite method of making coffee at the house. Don't get me wrong, the AeroPress will make good coffee, but if you like strong coffee you will be finding it lacking over the Moka Pot, French Press, or even the Pour Over, but better than drip. But some people swear by the AeroPress, I'm just not one of them, they say it makes espresso...no it doesn't, not even close, the Moka pot will make coffee much closer to espresso than any other type of coffee maker that isn't an espresso maker.

By the way, I've watched a lot of videos on different ways to make coffee with an AeroPress, none of the methods impressed me.

But the newish Bialetta Brikka Moka pot is even better than the standard Moka pots, they put a small pressure ball in the top tube of the pitcher, you can't see it by looking at it, that ball holds the pressure back till it reaches 1.5 bar then releases, the regular Moka pot doesn't have pressure holding it back, it steams up and comes out. The Brikka not only makes consistently great coffee, but it's the closest I've come to an Italian restaurant served espresso, and it's darn close! plus it consistently gives me crema, about half as much as a true espresso, but the old Moka pot I had would either give me none or sometimes just a slight crema around the edges of the cup. But don't let the crema, or the lack thereof, fool you, many coffee geeks have said that crema means nothing, does it? Over time I'm beginning to think that could be the case.

Of course, flavor will depend on what coffee and grind you use. The Bialetta brand recommends a standard espresso grind, and most generic Moka pots recommend using a coarser grind. But due to the way that the Bialetta and the generic Moka pots make the coffee you would be hard-pressed to discern any taste difference between the one using espresso grind and the one that doesn't, so it's not an issue.

When I go bike camping I just take a GSI Outdoors Ultralight Java Drip because it's extremely lightweight and takes up virtually no space, but it makes coffee like a pour-over. I pre-grind my coffee before I go and put it into a ziplock baggie. I initially took my AeroPress when I did my first bike camping trip, but quickly found out that it took up valuable space inside my panniers and weighed more than I wanted it to; so I started looking around for something else, tried instant espresso, didn't like it; so kept looking and found the GSI Java Drip, I can live with that coffee while camping.
Old 01-06-2023, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by froze View Post
In my opinion, the Moka pot makes better coffee than the AeroPress does.

I agree with this ^^^ But for me it is because with the Moka pot I can control extraction in a way almost similar to a espresso machine.

I can pull it at whatever stage I want
A nice lesson in coffee is take a espresso shot as its coming out of a machine & catch it in 3 jiggers to taste the different stages

Similarly with a moka you can end it when you want

Sometimes I use a moka pot to pull a ristretto & quite like it I put it in a small squirt bottle & take it on my rides.
Better than a caffeine gel
Old 01-06-2023, 06:00 AM

I used to drink a moka pot daily, but since moving to a Pavoni, i almost gag whenever i try to drink straight moka.

Definitely like the taste of aeropress more.. just wish it made more quantity than a half a "cup".
Old 01-06-2023, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmradio516 View Post
I used to drink a moka pot daily, but since moving to a Pavoni, i almost gag whenever i try to drink straight moka.

Definitely like the taste of aeropress more.. just wish it made more quantity than a half a "cup".
I make a 8oz cup with mine.
I use 20gr coffee & use inverted method fill & cap

flip & remove plunger which causes it to drain of about 2 inch
add that water back into press then reinsert plunger & press
Old 01-08-2023, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying View Post
I agree with this ^^^ But for me it is because with the Moka pot I can control extraction in a way almost similar to a espresso machine.

I can pull it at whatever stage I want
A nice lesson in coffee is take a espresso shot as its coming out of a machine & catch it in 3 jiggers to taste the different stages

Sometimes I use a moka pot to pull a ristretto & quite like it I put it in a small squirt bottle & take it on my rides.
Better than a caffeine gel
I have an old Fuel Belt small energy bottle, like a miniature water bottle except oval shaped, I fill that with Moka coffee when I go on rides, a lot cheaper than those bike boutique energy drinks, and no chance of getting sick either, some of those energy drinks can play rough on the stomach.
Old 01-08-2023, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by froze View Post
I have an old Fuel Belt small energy bottle, like a miniature water bottle except oval shaped, I fill that with Moka coffee when I go on rides, a lot cheaper than those bike boutique energy drinks, and no chance of getting sick either, some of those energy drinks can play rough on the stomach.
Exactly!

https://hammernutrition.com/products...42811330494699
Old 01-09-2023, 09:32 AM
Cranky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying View Post
Yes, but you can't control temperature, which is very high.
Old 01-09-2023, 10:19 AM

I'm curious what ratio of coffee in grams to ounces of water people use with their Aeropress. I use the inverted method and put about half the water I heat into the Yeti directly, then invert the Aeropress and press the coffee into the Yeti after it has sat for a minute. I use two Aeropress scoops of coffee (about 25g) to 10 ounces of water.
Old 01-09-2023, 10:29 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
I'm curious what ratio of coffee in grams to ounces of water people use with their Aeropress. I use the inverted method and put about half the water I heat into the Yeti directly, then invert the Aeropress and press the coffee into the Yeti after it has sat for a minute. I use two Aeropress scoops of coffee (about 25g) to 10 ounces of water.
hmmm I do it by eye (which is funny since I am so picky about grams in and out on espresso). I would say about 2 scoops as well but fill water almost to top. also inverted method. pour water half way, let it stand for a few minutes, then fill water to top and use a spoon to swirl everything, then press it into cup
Old 01-09-2023, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
ok glad they did that if you told them you wanted an espresso grinder.

its simple.

grind 18g of coffee, tamp, pull a shot. scale under the cup when it hits 36g check the time.

if its much under 25 sec then next time grind a little corser (like a tiny bit, like half to a full number on the eureka), if its much over 30 secs then grind a little finer. once this is dialed then start experimenting and tasting and see what you like better. Some coffees I like 1 to 3 ratio (usually lighter roasts). Give that a try

edit - I had it reversed, under 25 sec grind finer, over 30 grind courser

Brothers and sisters, behold! Damn, that was a good afternoon coffee! It can get better, but that was the prettiest espresso shot I’ve made from this machine…
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6E98AC76-AEA7-4738-8D2C-931F399126C0.jpg (73.2 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg 30F365D0-C6E4-4A9E-A425-9548199B1263.jpg (120.0 KB, 120 views)
Old 01-09-2023, 03:35 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_douglas View Post
Brothers and sisters, behold! Damn, that was a good afternoon coffee! It can get better, but that was the prettiest espresso shot I’ve made from this machine…
love it! that looks DELICIOUS!
Old 01-09-2023, 03:40 PM
Administrator

That does look good.

I believe a little sambuca and espresso are on the after dinner menu tonight.
Old 01-09-2023, 03:53 PM

I need to learn to drink espresso black. I can’t stand anything in tea, but I’ve convinced myself that I need (oat)milk in my coffee…

Tags
coffee, coffee espresso