Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-03-2024, 07:01 PM
ZhugeLiang

First rider to show up at the start line at 4:30am

Old 06-03-2024, 07:39 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

^^^^ That's because he was up all night mounting his tires. He figured "It's 4 AM, I'm so worked up I'm not going to get any sleep now, so I might as well get down there."
Old 06-04-2024, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyatt_ View Post
This is sometimes hard for me to admit (when I want to justify to myself spending $200 on tires) but tires just can't make you fast.

When I see the spread of brands among these winners, it looks pretty clear to me that those marginal gains that tests fixate on don't matter that much in the real world.

A lot of good tires out there these days, not hard to find a good one. Much harder to put in the miles on them.
I think you are right. A think a tire is a tire and you can be happy on any of them.
Old 06-04-2024, 08:00 AM

The only opinion, experience, and use case that matters to me are my own.

I like RH tires because they ride so nicely. They work well with Orange Seal or with inner tubes; about the same reliability as other tires. They look great too.

If these tires didn't work for me, I would choose different ones and go ride my bike.

Instagram
Old 06-04-2024, 09:38 AM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky33 View Post

I like RH tires because they ride so nicely. They work well with Orange Seal or with inner tubes; about the same reliability as other tires. They look great too.

If these tires didn't work for me, I would choose different ones and go ride my bike.
yep, I'm currently a Vittoria guy based on my experience with them (reliable and easy to get on/off the rim) and how they make my bikes look.. FWIW, I use tubes at this time, so YMMV..

Also, I have some RH/Compass tires on a couple bikes and have no issues with those either.. all with tubes..
Old 06-04-2024, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonrobot View Post
Who was the highest placed René Herse sponsored rider at Unbound?

Ted King at 35th place?

Innokenty Zavyalov in 40th

Brennan Wertz in 60th

I guess for the Women's Lauren de Crescenzo came in 9th (-1h25m)

The top 10 was a real who's who of fast gravel tires - in order below

Vittoria
Maxxis
Specialized
Vittoria
Pirelli
Schwalbe
Pirelli
Maxxis
Wolfpack (?)
Continental
René Herse
The width of the tires is as interesting as the brand. They seem pretty big to me.
Old 06-04-2024, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoker View Post
The width of the tires is as interesting as the brand. They seem pretty big to me.
Its definitely a trend to use 50mm (or bigger) tires this year.

Dylan was on 2.2" race king mtb tires.
Old 06-04-2024, 02:12 PM

I do not agree. If some other tire has been proven faster (for those race conditions) than the tire a competitor has used for the race, then I think that the competitor would have been faster had he used those tires for that given race and under those conditions.

Of course no situation is so simple because in something like Unbound, a competitor has to chose the right mix of a "fast" and "durable".

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespasianus View Post
I think you are right. A think a tire is a tire and you can be happy on any of them.
Old 06-05-2024, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg21 View Post
After reading all the hype on this forum about Rene Herse tires, I thought I’d try them and I ordered a pair of the Manatash Ridge 700cc x 44 tires gravel tires with the black endurance casing. No tire is good enough to warrant the level of frustration these have caused.

I’ve tried everything and I cannot get them to seat. My tape is good and I cleaned the beds and rims of all the old sealant. I tried soapy water, the strap method using an old inner tube, installing them with a tube to seat one side of the tire, and adding a little sealant, which ended up all over my work bench. I finally gave up after a few hours and went to my LBS. The shop owner spent 1/2 an hour, gave up, and suggested I think about different tires. I don’t know what you all are talking about.

If anyone wants a new set of tires, never used, but not in the OEM packaging, and one with a little sealant on it, please let me know. These are available and I’d be happy sell them for less than I paid just to never look at them again.
https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=307415
Old 06-06-2024, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky33 View Post

What Sparky said. I had 700c RH Cayuse Pass with tubes on my road bike that only lasted 1500 miles or so, and switched to Vittoria Corsa Control (thanks AngryScientist).

On my gravel bike, I have RH 650b Switchback Hill 48mm tubeless on Stan's wheels. It takes a LOT of pressure to seat them--sometimes I need an air compressor--but I love the way they ride. Last year I hit a big nasty staple with a 1/2" crown, punctured through the sidewall and the tread. It needed three plugs to repair it, and it held air up until a week ago. I guess I'll try it with a tube now.

I really do not care for the way GravelKing SKs ride, I do not care for them at all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg puncture.jpg (149.4 KB, 382 views)
Old 06-06-2024, 01:14 PM

The thing about a gravel tire and Unbound specifically is that the conditions are so variable that there are going to be tradeoffs. Plus, no matter what the conditions at the start and no matter what the forecast, anything can happen.

IMHO, tire choice is waaaaay over-discussed. Example: D2R2 tire discussions.

Now, Campy vs Shimano vs SRAM is a whole other matter. And I won't even get into disc brakes. ;-)

Enjoy your ride!
Old 06-06-2024, 02:28 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by alessandro View Post
I really do not care for the way GravelKing SKs ride, I do not care for them at all.
Old 06-07-2024, 10:49 AM

are the instructions important even for tubed setups?
Old 06-07-2024, 12:26 PM
Bike Guy

Nothing brings the people together like Rene Hers. Jan Heine the ultimate community organizer.
Old 06-08-2024, 02:53 PM

Knocked out a 3hr 55 mile road ride on 48mm RH knobbies this morning; total nightmare

That said, I am sticking with tubes for these, esp given what I’ve read from people trying to set up my rims (Hope 20five); the combo didn’t seem optimal for tubeless

Last edited by dmitrik4; 06-08-2024 at 03:01 PM.

Tags
no free lunch, snake oil