Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-03-2022, 11:44 AM

Also, since nobody asked, a few more pics of mine:

Old 12-03-2022, 11:47 AM

I forgot to mention #3!

On the 2009+ models, they slowly worked in more aero body kit. The notable areas are: 1. front splitter. 2. Side Sills. 3. Slightly more stout spoiler. There might be performance benefits to these elements but I think they are debatable. If you're thinking classic, the original design is more pure. I think the 2009+ updates make the car look a little lower and more muscular.
Old 12-03-2022, 11:52 AM
aka RAEKWON

I take the first imagine is the older gen, I actually think that looks better. Also no piano black which top 3 of the worst things auto makers decided was a good idea for interiors.

and yeah, I don't think much of that added aero is doing much if anything but you never know and certainly looks better imo.
Old 12-03-2022, 11:53 AM

I like the idea of piano black in theory. In practice it’s a fingerprint magnet and, worse, looks like plastic.
Old 12-03-2022, 12:45 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJWS View Post
I like the idea of piano black in theory. In practice it’s a fingerprint magnet and, worse, looks like plastic.
and the scratches I have 2 small piano black surfaces in my car, both have micro scratches (no fingerprints because nothing around to touch fortunetely.
Old 01-06-2023, 05:32 PM

Hey OP, a month later, what’s the good word? Having fun with that beaut?
Old 01-06-2023, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonaSovereign View Post
Yes please do give more details.

Old 01-06-2023, 06:20 PM
PegoNagos

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonaSovereign View Post
Yes please!
Old 01-06-2023, 06:27 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

I want to know how many time's he's been stopped by the law, and how many tickets he's gotten...

As well as my Impreza does on the curvy roads, I often regret the lack of HP, but I hate to think how many tickets I would have, had I gotten a WRX or STi instead of the base model...

Old 01-07-2023, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
I want to know how many time's he's been stopped by the law, and how many tickets he's gotten...

As well as my Impreza does on the curvy roads, I often regret the lack of HP, but I hate to think how many tickets I would have, had I gotten a WRX or STi instead of the base model...

I had the 2004 WRX STI with 310 hp and a short throw 6. It was rated 0-60 in 4.3 sec which was pretty good back in the day.

On gravel and snowy roads, the thing was really a wicked fun drive.

I think the Mitsubishi EVO was a little more polished as a drive, but the 2004 STI was so light with so much power, it was probably best of the STIs.

Although I wish I had bought a EVO VI Tommi Makinen.
The Nissan GT-R is also a beast although now it is just too pricey.

I have a great memory in the Nissan Skyline GT-R R32 from 1989 which was also a fun car while be affordable unlike the newest GT-R

Last edited by verticaldoug; 01-07-2023 at 01:59 AM.
Old 01-07-2023, 06:58 PM

I have been pulled over ONCE, for no plates but I was literally two turns from the DMV and had my paperwork so I got a warning and then a "what year is this?" and a few minutes of chit chat from the cop. Excellent police experience! I don't want to curse myself but I feel like traffic laws are only enforced by police when they make a project out of it. Like they will enforce a crosswalk or a stretch of road one day but the local police generally have bigger fish to fry I suppose.

Not to complain about the L.A. weather when the rest of the country is shivering but it hasn't really been great driving weather in the past month. I have been going out though but a couple of wet drives and the look on my carwash guy's face made me second guess my zeal.

This morning I did do an early morning donut run with a detour on the Angeles Crest and it was just so much fun! As a bonus, I was coming down the hill on my way home by the time the first cyclists were starting their way up so perfect timing on my part. It is insane how much ground you can cover in the mornings in L.A.

I've been out to Malibu a few times and it is the most fun driving in the L.A. area. The roads are tight and twisty so you get to really use the car. It's a really fun experience and I can say that the car is just a pleasure to interact with whether you're going slowly behind other cars or doing something potentially embarrassing when nobody is around.

The car is plenty fast for me. It is surprising how easily triple digits come on the highway and 2nd and third gear in the canyons are more than enough fun. I drove a friend's Ferrari Portofino around the block and was breaking the rear-end loose without even trying. The Vantage is not as tail-happy but seems really well balanced and stable. I'm sure when I am a "better" driver I can hoon it around a bit but I'm also a "grown-up" so the situations to drive like that don't seem to come up as often as they should. I mean, there are a lot of cyclists in L.A. and driving the car definitely puts me in a position to use the golden rule.

I got my seating position to a good place and, at 6'-3", I can fit ONE finger between my head and the roof. If/when I do a track day, I'll have to have a funny position to accomodate a helmet. I really do want to do some HPDE events soon but I am trying to milk the new car buzz a bit longer. I still get a little buzz after spending time in the car and it takes a few minutes for me to walk away from it because I want to just stare at the car and drink it in.

I had the paint corrected and ceramic coated over the holiday. I'm not sure that was necessary for a car with almost 75,000 miles. It looks better but there are thousands of little scratches and issues if you start looking for them. In the sunlight though, it's just a big deep shiny blue. An old lady at the gas station told me that she thought the car was perfect and that she wanted to eat it up! My wife says it looks like a jungle cat and has nice rear haunches. Every once in a while I will get a smile or a thumbs-up but generally it is a very subtle car.

Long story short: it's been a good month!

more pictures below:

Old 01-11-2023, 12:22 PM

Well I replied but it got buried by all the Pegerotti threads That's a club I would like to join.
Old 01-11-2023, 07:12 PM
PegoNagos

Fantastic first few weeks with the car it appears! Great pics too!

Please keep it coming!
Old 01-11-2023, 07:34 PM

Beautiful !! Not liking "ONE finger between my head and the roof", but oh well.

Thought of this thread when snapping this at a recent wine pickup event.

AM.jpg
Old 01-11-2023, 07:55 PM
what's a little rust?

I kept your pictures because why the heck not. But WRT one finger of space: surely there's a different seat that could help? Thanks for the chance to pretend spend your money ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJWS View Post
I can fit ONE finger between my head and the roof.