Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-13-2024, 12:10 PM

My dog found a pickle ball a few days ago, my first in hand, and I was surprised to see it was basically a sturdy wiffle ball. I’m surprised paddles can make much of a difference.
Old 02-13-2024, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalheart View Post
Which one?

I started with an Engage Pursuit, then moved to a Vatic V716mm, then to a Vatic Flash 16mm, and now using a Six Zero 16mm Double Black Diamond. Paddle development is on the move these days with lots of interesting options to match playing styles and needs.

I'm fortunate to be able to play year round here in Northern Wisconsin. We have an indoor dome with 10 or so pickleball courts than can be transitioned to tennis courts and the local YMCA just built a new facility that includes 3 indoor pickleball courts.

There is an active pickleball community with more than 400 players with a mix of older and younger folks.

I mix riding on the trainer this time of year with pickleball 4-5 times a week. Keeps me active.

A couple of my previous posts in this thread suggested that playing pickleball isn't necessarily a strenuous workout. As I have progressed to playing with more skilled players I find that I can experienced a sustained heart rate in the 85% plus range for enough duration to make a difference in my fitness. It isn't the same as riding the bike for multiple hours but it can be a workout and it is great fun.
I got the 6.0 Double Black Diamond Control 14mm. I used it for the first time this Sunday and I find it quite nice. I previously used a Joola Hyperion 16mm that my sister gave when she upgraded. The DBD is so much lighter and it actually help with my hand speed at the NVZ.

It is a great workout for me and using the garmin watch it tells me that I burn way more calories over a session than cycling. I pretty much keep my HR at the aerobic zone for almost the whole session (2.5 hours.) I am not quite at 85% but it is nice at 70% or so.

Pickleball is very popular in Howard County, MD with a great association for outdoor play. And the indoor facilities I play at has a lot of popular open play sessions for all levels of players.

Last edited by tuxbailey; 02-13-2024 at 12:55 PM.
Old 02-13-2024, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
My dog found a pickle ball a few days ago, my first in hand, and I was surprised to see it was basically a sturdy wiffle ball. I’m surprised paddles can make much of a difference.
It is indeed a plastic wiffle ball. A wooden paddle wouldn't make a lot of difference. But the paddle with CF textured surface can generate good top spins like hitting a tennis ball.

The bad thing is that CF paddles are consumables.... so if you play all the time you will have to get new paddles every 6-9 months.
Old 02-13-2024, 05:32 PM

even $200 carbon paddles are way cheaper than my annual overhauls with chains, cassette, tires and cables.
Old 02-13-2024, 08:37 PM

Pickleball 'fever'

"Fever" is an apt term for those afflicted. It's a sickness, for sure.
Old Today, 08:46 AM

Cool story about retired NBA legend Rick Berry. He caught “pickleball fever” and has become an evangelist for the sport.

Eventually, the sport might supplant golf as the choice for active retirees and older people. It’s certainly more affordable and accessible. I don’t see any downsides to that.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/584...80-years-old/#

“Barry ranks among the nation’s top age-group players and earned the Triple Crown at the U.S. Open in Naples, Fla., in April. He won the men’s 80-plus singles title, the men’s 80-plus doubles title with partner Fred Shuey and the mixed doubles 80-plus title with Susan Mathews.”
Old Today, 09:01 AM
hoolered

Old Today, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummus_aquinas View Post
Needs some post play food pics! 😉
Old Today, 09:26 AM
hoolered

Ha! We went to Baccali after for Chinese food and pitchers. No photos.