Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-22-2023, 10:11 AM
Randomhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonrobot View Post
The CX70 is a hollow forging but it is not bonded together, it's forged as one piece with a void. The same type as seen here: http://pardo.net/bike/pic/fail-001/FAIL-190.html
Thanks for finding me a broken one to look at the insides It does make me feel better about not having a bonding issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveadore View Post
Any ideas what makes the 12sp Ultegra (R8100) cranks, which Shimano offers as a replacement, better in terms of resistance to corrosion-induced delamination?
They have previously said they are going to be adding more glue. Time marches on, but I think it was some time in the last year.
This may actually fix the problem, because most of these cranks last forever. Hard to feel fully confident in it as a fix.
Old 09-22-2023, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
They have previously said they are going to be adding more glue. Time marches on, but I think it was some time in the last year.
This may actually fix the problem, because most of these cranks last forever. Hard to feel fully confident in it as a fix.
The 12 speed cranks aren't bonded?
Old 09-22-2023, 10:38 AM

This is interesting:
https://handsonbike.blogspot.com/202...-r9100-vs.html
Old 09-22-2023, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice rocket View Post
The 12 speed cranks aren't bonded?
The majority of cranks supposedly fail due to moisture that enters the drive side axle. The newer 12 speed cranks are still bonded however Shimano has plugged the axle hole to fix the problem.
Old 09-22-2023, 11:18 AM

I have 2 of the 6800 (1 on my bike and 1 on the wife's bike) that fall within the scope of the recall and an R8000 in the box I still need to double check the production code. Whether or not ours get replaced, I am tempted to replace them now with alternatives (as others have suggested).

Which would you choose (appears to be an inexpensive price to pay for piece of mind)?

$150 Shimano R7000 (no BB change needed)
$180 Praxis Alba (all metal, needs new BB)
$275 Praxis Zayante (metal and carbon, needs new BB)

I am tempted to use this as an excuse to finally upgrade my bike to the R8000 kit I have (still in the box) with the Ultegra RX clutch rear derailleur and get the Praxis Carbon crank. And, swap my wife's crank for the R7000. Thoughts?

*Anybody want to purchase a lightly worn 170mm 11x28 6800 groupset after the swap on my bike?
Old 09-22-2023, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedude View Post
The majority of cranks supposedly fail due to moisture that enters the drive side axle. The newer 12 speed cranks are still bonded however Shimano has plugged the axle hole to fix the problem.
On my 6800 and 9000 cranks, I treated the inside of the drive axle with Weigle's Frame Saver. I made sure to have a good coating where the axle is mounted to the drive side crank arm. I'm hopeful that the treatments will keep moisture from getting into the hollow crank arms.

Greg
Old 09-22-2023, 11:23 AM

I'm going to buy some Praxis Zayante cranks and BB and be done with it. I just want to ride my bike, it's my break from computers and their warranties and recalls associated.
Old 09-22-2023, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostic View Post
I'm going to buy some Praxis Zayante cranks and BB and be done with it. I just want to ride my bike, it's my break from computers and their warranties and recalls associated.

Old 09-22-2023, 11:50 AM
Vendor

Yikes, how'd that happen?
Old 09-22-2023, 12:14 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
I have 2 of the 6800 (1 on my bike and 1 on the wife's bike) that fall within the scope of the recall and an R8000 in the box I still need to double check the production code. Whether or not ours get replaced, I am tempted to replace them now with alternatives (as others have suggested).

Which would you choose (appears to be an inexpensive price to pay for piece of mind)?

$150 Shimano R7000 (no BB change needed)
$180 Praxis Alba (all metal, needs new BB)
$275 Praxis Zayante (metal and carbon, needs new BB)

I am tempted to use this as an excuse to finally upgrade my bike to the R8000 kit I have (still in the box) with the Ultegra RX clutch rear derailleur and get the Praxis Carbon crank. And, swap my wife's crank for the R7000. Thoughts?

*Anybody want to purchase a lightly worn 170mm 11x28 6800 groupset after the swap on my bike?
The clutch is nice if you're riding off-road. Lots less chain slap.
Riding on the road? Meh. Not needed and slightly affects shifting. Note: slightly

I keep seeing lots of handwringing over this. Reminds me of the virus kerfuffle in that way: lots of ado about not much. Yes, the people that have been affected have had a problem. 6 injuries over darn near 800k cranks?! That's 0.007% 4519 affected cranks over that darn near 800k?! Like was posted above that's ~0.6%.

Keep and ear and eye on the things and keep riding cause it isn't likely you're going to have a problem.

M
Old 09-22-2023, 01:10 PM

My DA 9100 crank purchased in 2017 from Merlin Cycles doesn't have a two letter code so I guess I'm safe (in theory).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DA 9100 crank.jpg (107.5 KB, 177 views)
Old 09-22-2023, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendRider View Post
My DA 9100 crank purchased in 2017 from Merlin Cycles doesn't have a two letter code so I guess I'm safe (in theory).
The two letters, OI, are listed under the recall. So no, you're not safe, and would be better suited to getting a replacement set.

Also, because it's a picture, I'm assuming that it's a lighting issue. But there looks like there's a gap on the left side of the crankset?

If that's actually a gap, stop riding those asap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimano
This recall involves Shimano Ultegra FC-6800, Dura-Ace FC-9000, Ultegra FC-R8000, Dura-Ace FC-R9100 and FC-R9100P 11-Speed Bonded Hollowtech Road Cranksets manufactured prior to July 2019 sold individually and on bicycles sold by other manufacturers such as Trek and Specialized. A crankset is the component of the bicycle that the chain and pedals attach to for pedaling. The recalled models have printed ‘Ultegra’ or Dura Ace’ logos on the arm. The affected models are pre-July 2019 production and have the following two-letter production code on backside of the crank arm where the pedals are attached: KF, KG, KH, KI, KJ, KK, KL, LA, LB, LC, LD, LE, LF, LG, LH, LI, LJ, LK, LL, MA, MB, MC, MD, ME, MF, MG, MH, MI, MJ, MK, ML, NA, NB, NC, ND, NE, NF, NG, NH, NI, NJ, NK, NL, OA, OB, OC, OD, OE, OF, OG, OH, OI, OJ, OK, OL, PA, PB, PC, PD, PE, PF, PG, PH, PI, PJ, PK, PL, QA, QB, QC, QD, QE, QF, QG, QH, QI, QJ, QK, QL, RA, RB, RC, RD, RE, and RF.

Last edited by mjf; 09-22-2023 at 01:25 PM.
Old 09-22-2023, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee View Post
Riding on the road? Meh. Not needed and slightly affects shifting. Note: slightly

I keep seeing lots of handwringing over this. Reminds me of the virus kerfuffle in that way: lots of ado about not much. Yes, the people that have been affected have had a problem. 6 injuries over darn near 800k cranks?! That's 0.007% 4519 affected cranks over that darn near 800k?! Like was posted above that's ~0.6%.

Keep and ear and eye on the things and keep riding cause it isn't likely you're going to have a problem.

M
All very helpful. My n=1 bike is a Seven Axiom SL with mid-reach brakes and 32mm tires so road riding and some not so difficult non-paved and gravel stuff. This is why I thought the Ultegra RX clutch derailleur would be a nice addition.
Old 09-22-2023, 01:24 PM

Is that an electric bike/motor?

Not sure all cranks have warranties that will cove this specific "use case".

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaponsgrade View Post
Yikes, how'd that happen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice rocket View Post

Old 09-22-2023, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee View Post

M
Are we really going there?