Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-30-2024, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avalonracing View Post
Love that color. 18.5 pounds is very respectable for that bike. Hell, it is for any bike. I rode Speedplay for years thinking it was a great idea. After getting back on Shimano pedals for a week thought to myself "What the hell was I thinking" and sold four sets of Speedplays. I don't care what Speedplay says it's like standing on a Tootsie Pop.
Agree sold all of mine off years ago, I'm now back on TIME.
Old 09-30-2024, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Blubba View Post
but these HED Ardennes are on another level.
Amazing that in a world where $5000+ framesets are kind of common, something this good can be had for only ~$1600!
The HED Ardennes look great & I have always thought when I build a Ritchey it will have those wheels or the DT Swiss 1400 DiCut OXiC's but for sure not carbon wheels

About the price & what you get I have said the exact same thing many times. I think many think it is a step back from "modern" design but having ridden many bikes over the decades I don't see that as a bad thing at all

Congrats on a beautiful functional long term bike
Old 09-30-2024, 08:02 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying View Post

About the price & what you get I have said the exact same thing many times. I think many think it is a step back from "modern" design but having ridden many bikes over the decades I don't see that as a bad thing at all
We have a lot of nouveau cyclists on our Sunday group rides, folks in their late teens to early 30's. Not their fault, but they, like most people who ride road bikes these here days, are raised on a steady diet of Big Bike marketing. Hidden cables. 1% aero gains. 15 lbs or less or bust, at any cost. Meaningless allegedly performance-enhancing numbers. Bikes that look like space ships or are 'badass' or 'stealthy' or (ugh) 'sexy'.
Not a ride goes by where someone doesn't twist up their face a bit and ask 'So what's the deal with that bike?' As in, 'Mike, you own a bike shop, why ride a bike that's not carbon, not (ugh) aero optimized, and not 15 lbs or less?'
My dad hates it, says it's not good for business. What's really bad for business is doing the fast group ride on a Soma Rufus (see here).
Hey, I enjoy a TCR Advanced SL 0 as much as (more than...) the next guy, and some of its characteristics are (to me) superior to the Ritchey. But the same is true vice-versa, and they are both spectacular bikes that are equally deserving of adoration, and they are both within a hair's breadth of equally likely to win or lose the race if they are both being ridden by the same rider.
Old 10-01-2024, 05:31 AM

Quote:
My dad hates it, says it's not good for business......

But the same is true vice-versa, and they are both spectacular bikes that are equally deserving of adoration, and they are both within a hair's breadth of equally likely to win or lose the race if they are both being ridden by the same rider.
The first one is funny & also true I bet

The second one is 101% true & your lucky you realized it early in life
Old 10-01-2024, 05:40 AM

Quote:
My dad hates it, says it's not good for business...
That's so true, at least from a business standpoint.

Or maybe not.

As a young cyclist, I always thought the bike shop guys had the "must have" bikes. Besides, they were the cool people and I wanted to be like them so... Same held true for the fast riders.

In fact, If they didn't ride a new bike every year or two they were poor advertisers.

But the fact is, whatever the bike shop guys or fast guys ride will be what newbs will admire and want.
Old 10-01-2024, 06:09 AM

I’ve been tempted so the the ritchey road logic but can anyone comment on the geo? It seems pretty long/low, at least in the 59cm. On bike insights its right on with the seat tube compared to a Few other 58-60cm frames I’ve ridden but consistently longer in the top tube.
Old 10-01-2024, 10:16 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenbike View Post
I’ve been tempted so the the ritchey road logic but can anyone comment on the geo? It seems pretty long/low, at least in the 59cm. On bike insights its right on with the seat tube compared to a Few other 58-60cm frames I’ve ridden but consistently longer in the top tube.
Size down. I usually ride a 54-55-56, but on this one I went with a 53.
The size recommendations on Ritchey's site were not confirmed when I called them, described my fit on my other bikes, and asked for advice. According their website, I'd ride a 55. According to the guy who answered their phone, I'd be a 53. This was confirmed by the fitter at my shop and by several other folks earlier in this thread.
Old 10-01-2024, 11:01 AM

The outback is impresssing me with its excellent handling across all types of terrain.

Old 10-01-2024, 11:58 AM

So much seatpost exposed on the last two Ritcheys. I think you could ride the next frame size up with a slammed stem potentially. To my eyes both verge on a disproportionate amount of seatpost exposed. Yeah this last one is definitely the wrong frame size: that's a silly amount of spacer stack.
Old 10-01-2024, 12:18 PM

My vote is silly comments. I know what fits and works for me Apologies for long legs! And just to answer, no the XL will not fit! And no the smaller medium wouldn’t fit either.. and yes the large fits beautifully and rides exactly as I’d hoped for.

All my bikes have tons of post exposed…and stack when needed.

Last edited by Likes2ridefar; 10-01-2024 at 12:21 PM.
Old 10-01-2024, 12:23 PM

Man I love the way these bikes look... I personally hate the 1X, but its otherwise great.

Slightly off topic? Any taller/larger riders out there have any experience with the breakaways? Part of me wants to eventually get one, for reasons unknown really, but they have a draw. But at 6'2" 195 lbs I'm concerned they might feel too flexy under me.
Old 10-01-2024, 12:50 PM
Back At It!

Quote:
The size recommendations on Ritchey's site were not confirmed when I called them, described my fit on my other bikes, and asked for advice. According their website, I'd ride a 55. According to the guy who answered their phone, I'd be a 53. This was confirmed by the fitter at my shop and by several other folks earlier in this thread.
are you also riding a shorter than normal stem on these? Even if I size down, the reach still seems excessive with a 90 or 100mm stem factored in.. at least for me.. A disc Road Logic looks sweet though..
Old 10-01-2024, 04:16 PM
Vendor

The opposite, Chris. With the Dura Ace hoods and longer-reach Ritchey bars that were originally on the bike (WCS Matrix, I think?) I had a 110 stem. With the Sram Force AXS rim brake hoods and the shorter reach Cadex AR bars, I'm running a 120 stem.
My size 54 TCR, Propel, and Melee all had 100mm stems.
Old 10-01-2024, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Good to know… I’m 6’3” with long legs and would probably have a lot of exposed post on either the 59 or certainly the 57, even though the reach on the 57 would probably be about right with a normal 110mm stem. I’m not too old either so can ride with some saddle to bar drop but the 59tt is still long. The size chart has me on a 59 though, can anyone comment who’s in the 6’+ crowd?

Last edited by lorenbike; 10-02-2024 at 06:12 AM.
Old 10-02-2024, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
The outback is impresssing me with its excellent handling across all types of terrain.

Very cool looking bike!