Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-12-2022, 10:19 PM
Back At It!

not sure a timer would start the actual brewing process would it? most coffee makers I've used seem to have a button to push to start the brew..

I did find this, it's SCA certified and seems to have really good reviews (it pre-waters the grounds, for example)..
https://tinyurl.com/2s3p9w6b

There is also a pretty fancy Breville that has caught my eye as well, just sure I'd use the extra features the extra prices brings.. (also SCA certified)
https://tinyurl.com/mry37hut
Old 11-13-2022, 06:08 AM

The moccamaster has a simple on/off switch, so yes the timer would work.
Old 11-13-2022, 06:47 AM

The Moccamaster is pretty much what most people on this forum would seem to love. A 55 year old design/product. No extra features to inflate price and/or break. Most everything is replaceable, and a classic design. 1 old school switch, not even really a button.
Old 11-13-2022, 07:36 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaSS View Post
The Moccamaster is pretty much what most people on this forum would seem to love. A 55 year old design/product. No extra features to inflate price and/or break. Most everything is replaceable, and a classic design. 1 old school switch, not even really a button.
Potd haha
Old 11-13-2022, 08:31 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaSS View Post
having just bought one, i do agree.

dead simple. combined with a decent grinder to grind fresh beans in the morning, it's a nice routine to start the day.
Old 11-13-2022, 11:57 AM
Back At It!

so I have heard some downsides to the Moccamaster is the water head.. I've read a few reviews that you should really move the head around as it disperses water to get a really good saturation.. I know my father in law does this with his Moccamaster as well.. maybe this is just folks taking it to the nth degree ( know my FIL would), but it sounds like some other rigs might have a better "shower" head and pauses for a few to let the coffee "bloom" before continuing with the brewing cycle (I think the first one i linked above does this).. again, may all just be marketing as well..
Old 11-13-2022, 12:19 PM
aka RAEKWON

and can have it match your rock lobster team

Old 11-13-2022, 12:23 PM

I have owned an espresso maker for a few years now but the Breville that I currently own has a dual boiler which makes for some quick cappuccinos. The earlier machines that I had were just inexpensive single boilers which I was just pouring double shots with. At the time I was making Black Eyes (double shot) mixed with dark roast. The Dual boiler makes some good cappuccinos and in fact I think they are better than any Starbucks I have ever visited. I dont do the fancy artwork but none the less its still good coffee.
https://www.breville.com/us/en/produ...so/bes920.html
Old 11-13-2022, 12:33 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeboy1 View Post
I have owned an espresso maker for a few years now but the Breville that I currently own has a dual boiler which makes for some quick cappuccinos. The earlier machines that I had were just inexpensive single boilers which I was just pouring double shots with. At the time I was making Black Eyes (double shot) mixed with dark roast. The Dual boiler makes some good cappuccinos and in fact I think they are better than any Starbucks I have ever visited. I dont do the fancy artwork but none the less its still good coffee.
https://www.breville.com/us/en/produ...so/bes920.html

starbucks quality is very low bar, I bet you can make better cappuccinos than even some small fancy coffee shops as well.

Its crazy how when you are start making coffee at home, get some fresh beans and a decent machine + grinder you realize how 95% of coffee shops make absolute horrible coffee (and charge you a ton of money for it too)
Old 11-13-2022, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
and can have it match your rock lobster team

we have this and exact color looooove the simplicity and the ability to buy spare parts if for somereason it breaks
Old 11-13-2022, 12:46 PM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsimon View Post
we have this and exact color looooove the simplicity and the ability to buy spare parts if for somereason it breaks
and it starts brewing as soon as you flip the switch on? (thinking about the outlet timer mentioned above for my pre-setup)
Old 11-13-2022, 12:59 PM
Administrator

Just came in from a chilly afternoon of yard work and enjoying a fresh cup from the moccamaster

I suppose it's up to a person's tastes; but I agree that Starbucks is really not good coffee in my book. I would prefer the coffee I make at home with nice fresh beans any day of the week over Starbucks.
Old 11-13-2022, 12:59 PM

This! I cant think of one thing that starbucks does well anymore. With good beans its so easy to make espresso drinks that are x10 better than starbucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
starbucks quality is very low bar, I bet you can make better cappuccinos than even some small fancy coffee shops as well.

Its crazy how when you are start making coffee at home, get some fresh beans and a decent machine + grinder you realize how 95% of coffee shops make absolute horrible coffee (and charge you a ton of money for it too)
Old 11-13-2022, 01:00 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourflys View Post
and it starts brewing as soon as you flip the switch on? (thinking about the outlet timer mentioned above for my pre-setup)
It does, but it's also pretty darned fast, I wouldnt worry too much about needing a timer.
Old 11-13-2022, 01:07 PM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
It does, but it's also pretty darned fast, I wouldnt worry too much about needing a timer.
it's not a matter of the brew time, I just get everything set up the night before as I get up at 0440-0445 and walk out the door at 0500-0505 and don't come downstairs until I'm ready to put my shoes on, pour the coffee, and leave..

once I'm not doing this commute, I will be able to have a bit more morning time..

Tags
coffee, coffee espresso