Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-16-2024, 06:46 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

And for something not completely different:

It's so cold, Teslas are struggling to charge in Chicago

https://www.npr.org/2024/01/16/12249...g-extreme-cold
Old 01-16-2024, 07:34 PM

I left for work 2-1/2 days ago and drove to work with an appropriate amount and arrived home uneventfully this afternoon. For context, I work in the transportation industry and am often gone 2-4 days at a time. In my case I had about a 1/3 efficiency degradation over a summertime drive of the same type. Obviously quite significant and because I charge at home, no big deal. For those on a road trip it’s a huge deal.

It got up to about 0ºF today for the record.

Part of the development of the technology.

No question that the technology has a few Achilles Heels. It also has a few Aces of Spades. As I have always said, not for everyone. Hopefully it will deal with these challenges. Right now I’m about 80/20 in favor for my personal use case. And I weighed those things before I opted into the technology.
Old 01-16-2024, 09:18 PM
but not really

Quote:
Originally Posted by kppolich View Post
will be interesting to see if a supercharger update will address this in the future, likely an over the air update to keep things running or if the new superchargers that are being installed now are more weather resistant.

Now, dead 12v batteries, engine block heaters and diesel gel won't get fixed over the air.
lol
Old 01-16-2024, 11:23 PM

snipped:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
No question that the technology has a few Achilles Heels. It also has a few Aces of Spades. As I have always said, not for everyone. Hopefully it will deal with these challenges. Right now I’m about 80/20 in favor for my personal use case. And I weighed those things before I opted into the technology.
Agree 100%. I have never really bought into the argument that they are better for the environment (yet) given the negative starting footprint, but I eventually decided to lease one because I really liked the driving experience (instant on, quiet, torque out the wazoo, not having to stop for gas b/c I charge at home, etc.).

As I shared in an earlier post, I am now on my second only b/c first was totaled in a rollover accident (which would have totaled any ICE as well). When my current lease is up I lean toward buying this vehicle or another BEV I find compelling for my needs/uses/wants (e.g., the upcoming Volvo EX30).
Old 01-16-2024, 11:37 PM

Coincidentally, the AAA has not received a single call during this cold spell to help people with cars that wouldn’t start.
Old 01-16-2024, 11:44 PM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
Coincidentally, the AAA has not received a single call during this cold spell to help people with cars that wouldn’t start.
maybe, but a big difference is you can go to Costco, get a battery and you're back up.. all for probably under $200..
Old 01-17-2024, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourflys View Post
maybe, but a big difference is you can go to Costco, get a battery and you're back up.. all for probably under $200..
Yeah, buying and installing a car battery in sub-zero temperatures sounds a lot more convenient than waiting for an EV to slow charge .
Old 01-17-2024, 05:19 AM

Quote:
What evidence can you provide to support this claim?
Old 01-17-2024, 05:22 AM

NYT today:

Electric Car Owners Confront a Harsh Foe: Cold Weather https://www.nytimes.com/2024/01/17/b...-android-share
Old 01-17-2024, 07:47 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by robt57 View Post
And for something not completely different:

It's so cold, Teslas are struggling to charge in Chicago

https://www.npr.org/2024/01/16/12249...g-extreme-cold
EVs are still in their infancy. This won't be the last time this happens. Gets cold every winter(DOH!). It will get better, both in terms of EV range, cold weather ops, time to charge and convenience of chargers..Sure not there yet...

Lots of $ being spent on the 'next generation' battery. Lots of $ to be made also.
Old 01-17-2024, 10:13 AM

I find this debate about cold weather EVs interesting since 82% of new car sales in Norway are electric.
Old 01-17-2024, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinchris View Post
I find this debate about cold weather EVs interesting since 82% of new car sales in Norway are electric.
They have a more mature infrastructure for charging.
Old 01-17-2024, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
EVs are still in their infancy.
Um...

Here's an older EV in my neighborhood (well, at Heritage Museum & Gardens, but local...)

"Milburn was one of the more successful makers of electric automobiles. Their cars were priced low and were light weight. The company also offered a unique a battery pack on rollers, allowing fresh batteries to be installed quickly. Eliminating the downtime required for re-charging made the Milburn much more versatile and useful than other electric cars.

Although motoring men and women shared a taste for luxury and speed in their driving, manufacturers tended to assume that gas cars were for men, electric cars were for women. Milburn and other electric auto makers’ ads typically featured fashionable women driving children to outings.

One of Milburn’s best customers was the U.S. Secret Service during President Woodrow Wilson’s term (1913-1921). These quiet cars were perfect for parade work or for providing a “tail” for the first family."

Sale price in 1917 was $1,895, only 2.5X average annual income that year. GE engine, powered by thirteen six volt batteries, putting out 3.36 HP!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1917-Milburn.jpg (156.6 KB, 41 views)
Sampson
HotTubes
LtSpeed
SpeshFat
Old 01-17-2024, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
What evidence can you provide to support this claim?
Did I forget to use the sarcasm font again? Oops.
Old 01-17-2024, 10:41 AM
Back At It!

Quote:
Yeah, buying and installing a car battery in sub-zero temperatures sounds a lot more convenient than waiting for an EV to slow charge .
or AAA will do it for you if have them and it's too cold for you.. sorry man, I spent 6 yrs in Alaska (and 19 yrs in central Indiana), "it's too cold" just doesn't register with me..