Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-02-2024, 08:49 PM

on the contrary, I adjust my Varia light all the time, via my Garmin 530.

eg riding to regular group ride before dawn - I start with default flashing in the dark. Once I get to the meet up point, I switch to peloton mode. Once the group ride ends, I switch back to day flashing mode.

Re battery life.
On a recent 10-hour ride, I brought a powerbank along and proactively topped up my Varia RCT715 whenever we stopped for feed, or whilst waiting for ferry. My 715 is almost 2 years old now and struggle to get 5.5 hours of run time on default blinking mode. I could get more run time with light switched off, but certainly won't get 10 hours.
Old 10-03-2024, 01:06 AM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by caneye View Post
My 715 is almost 2 years old now and struggle to get 5.5 hours of run time on default blinking mode. I could get more run time with light switched off, but certainly won't get 10 hours.
My 515 started losing battery life after a couple of years and Garmin replaced it under warranty, FWIW.
Old 10-03-2024, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg21 View Post
I assume you use a Garmin Edge. Once you pair the Varias to your Edge, set the Light Network settings (in Sensors) to “auto” and to auto start with your Edge’s ride timer (mine timer starts at 6mph). Then you won’t have to do anything and the light intensity/flasher is adjusted by the Edge automatically. There are also some Connect IQ apps to control the lights. I have them installed, but haven’t found a need to use them as I leave the lights on auto all the time. I never have had to adjust my Varia lights and the battery lasts for long rides.
Yah I posted I've done this.

What was interesting I guess it it seems like you have to do it for each bike/Activity Profile in the Edge device?

E.x. Tuesday I set it to Auto on one bike. Yesterday I put the lights on another bike and it was no longer set to Auto. I am hoping eventually it stays on Auto where I left it.

I'm waiting for a bunch of different mounts I ordered to show up. The stock garmin mount with the rubber bands already seems pretty stretched out after putting it on the mast on my Domane. I will probably have to do one secondary order once I figure out what actually fits on that seatmast. I ordered a seat rail mount and a clamp mount. The Domane and Emonda are common enough some of the mounts had comments about fitment to the Trek seatmast topper.. but the reviews didn't even agree, some reviews said it worked and some said it didn't.

Last edited by benb; 10-03-2024 at 08:24 AM.
Old 10-03-2024, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddybikes View Post
Get more life out of your radar with up to 16 hours of battery life in day flash mode.

You can adjust how you want the settings...
Up to 16 hours - to start. Then they drop. My niterider taillight lasts "forever" and it's 5 years old (and brighter). Also cost $30

I can look back, it's ok.