Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-08-2023, 09:24 AM

Although I never got the opportunity to try the thumb shifter on the EPS, I always thought it appeared that it would function better from the drops than the mech thumb shifter.
I would also agree that being able to adjust shifting for individual cogs is a big step forward.
It only makes sense that a company would develop their top tier group before trickling down the tech to Record so surely only a matter of time.
As for the stepping back from WT teams when they already have a season with AG2R for testing makes no sense to me.
Before I purchased the Red AXS I was waiting for the Campy wireless to come to market but because it was taking so long I got tired of waiting. I still have the Campy P2M crank on my bike so who knows perhaps in the future a Campy wireless group could replace the Red.
Old 12-08-2023, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimoots View Post
Since 11 speed cassettes were broadly compatible and my understanding is that this continued with 12 speed
Yeah, but for a long time, Campagnolo was at 12 speed while everyone else - Shimano - was still at 11. And even last year, many teams were still on 11 as 12 speed Shimano was not available.

And not sure how it works now with disc wheels.
Old 12-08-2023, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeboy1 View Post
Although I never got the opportunity to try the thumb shifter on the EPS, I always thought it appeared that it would function better from the drops than the mech thumb shifter.
The thumb shifter on Potenza and Centaur has the same shape as the eps version and is very easy to shift from the drops. Same is true of Ekar. Not sure why Campagnolo still uses the old style thumb shifter on their higher end mechanical drivetrains.
Old 12-08-2023, 10:04 AM

I’m fearful of Campagnolo going the way of Serotta…
Old 12-08-2023, 10:16 AM

My only experience with Campy is the old Record groups with the DT shifters and 8-Speed. But I always really liked the thumbie and had not problem shifting in the drops.
Old 12-08-2023, 12:18 PM
Vendor

Campagnolo manufactures in Italy and Romania with EU labor/legal standards, meanwhile.... "shimano cycling parts made by modern slaves in malaysia"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-h...s-in-malaysia/
Old 12-08-2023, 12:20 PM

The irony of moving away from the thumb shifter on an electronic group is that they didn't need to. For those who struggled with the thumb shifter, I thought EPS worked very well when the paddles were set up SRAM style to operate the RD, while the thumb buttons were used to operate the FD.

While I've not used SR WRL, I don't welcome the loss of the thumbshifter. Tbh, I never had any issues shifting from the drops with mechanical versions and I definitely prefer it to Shimano or SRAM's shift logic (though the way 1x works on AXS XPLR is great for gravel).
Old 12-08-2023, 12:25 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Want Sachs? View Post
I’m fearful of Campagnolo going the way of Serotta…
Like my Ottrott with mechanical Campy Record... and on tubulars no less!

Mostly taken out only for nostalgia rides nowadays...
Old 12-08-2023, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rain dogs View Post
Campagnolo manufactures in Italy and Romania with EU labor/legal standards, meanwhile.... "shimano cycling parts made by modern slaves in malaysia"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-h...s-in-malaysia/
FINALLY, someone said it. I didn't think it would take this long. But, I guess it's kinda hard to get behind a cause when you're part of the problem Don't mistake me for having global virtue, because I don't. But, I don't act like it either, not in real life OR on the internet. If I did, I wouldn't have gotten groceries at Wal-Mart this morning

Last edited by Nomadmax; 12-08-2023 at 02:08 PM.
Old 12-08-2023, 01:46 PM
Sunshine

Quote:
Tim, this comment doesn't have the best look, but I'm not sure what you're trying to say...

Most people I know could find Romania on a map, it's less than 1000km (600miles) from Campagnolo in Italy... and Romania an EU member. and furthermore Campagnolo still makes a ton of stuff in Italy.

600miles is like from Boston to Cleveland.
I didnt think that post had a good or bad look to it. If you want to find a look in that post, you have to really try and come at it with some sort of skeptical bias.

I bet that if I gave a map of the world to 100 random adults in my town, fewer than 20 could identify Romania. Heck, if it were a map of Asia, more than half wouldnt even know it was a trick question.

I am a map and geography nerd and there is a more than 0 chance I would select Bulgaria since its next to Romania and also on the Black Sea.

Heck, looking at this, I bet 50% of people wouldnt even realize the Black Sea is water and not just another country.

Tim's guess that most people cant find Romania on a map isnt a bad look for Tim. If anything, its a bad look for people in the US that Tim is thinking of. But even then, it really doesnt seem worthy of declaring 'thats a bad look'.
Could most Australians or South Koreans identify Romania on the map above? No idea if they could or not, but if most can, thats pretty impressive.
Old 12-08-2023, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Tim, this comment doesn't have the best look, but I'm not sure what you're trying to say...

Most people I know could find Romania on a map, it's less than 1000km (600miles) from Campagnolo in Italy... and Romania an EU member. and furthermore Campagnolo still makes a ton of stuff in Italy.

600miles is like from Boston to Cleveland.
I never intended any disrespect to Romania. More to the great masses who only know where the largest countries are. And, to the idea that "made in Italy" is some guarantee of quality. Some stuff is well made and some is not, same for things that are made in just about any country. I know some of my Campy parts are made there and it never really bothered me. Fair wages and employee treatment are more important to me. My bike frames are made in the US but I have BTLOS wheels on one of them..... Sometimes the wallet overrides the heart. But, I suppose the draw of a company's heritage gets weaker all the time.

Tim
Old 12-08-2023, 02:04 PM

Worldle. Like Wordle, but geography, not words. The lack of scale can be confusing. And those island chains...

https://worldle.teuteuf.fr/
Old 12-08-2023, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
I think 'not made in China/Taiwan', is the point.
I think there's a difference between Made in China vs Made in Taiwan, and lumping them together is not helping to distinguish difference in the product (some) and the environment of production (larger difference).
Old 12-09-2023, 03:14 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
I didnt think that post had a good or bad look to it. If you want to find a look in that post, you have to really try and come at it with some sort of skeptical bias.

Tim's guess that most people cant find Romania on a map isnt a bad look for Tim. If anything, its a bad look for people in the US that Tim is thinking of. But even then, it really doesnt seem worthy of declaring 'thats a bad look'.
Could most Australians or South Koreans identify Romania on the map above? No idea if they could or not, but if most can, thats pretty impressive.
So, you're telling me that "How about made in Romania " was brought up in a thread about Campagnolo because we're concerned about the level of European geographical intelligence/education of Americans, Australians and South Koreans?... ... ...

I said I didn't know what was meant by it, but I can certainly tell you that if that's the case, that massive thread drift sure went well over my head.
Old 12-09-2023, 03:22 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancinkozmo View Post
shimano = microsoft
sram = apple
campag= linux
I was thinking about this on my ride. I'd propose:

Linux is some mashup of Grant Peterson and Jan Heine - that's too obvious.

FSA is Android. It's this weird thing that you always find someone right beside you has somehow, somewhere. Cranks, Bars, Tape, Seatpost whatever, It could be your partner, your kids or one of your riding pals... it's just there and everywhere.

Rotor is IBM. In the sense that, seriously, what the heck goes on there these days?

Shimano is Microsoft. It's the big dog, everyone uses it, and everytime they try and do something cool, it ends up looking like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLPAUHdyjRI . Also, they spent the vast majority of there existence copying/reproducing Apple, which leads me to:

Campagnolo is clearly Apple. It's vastly more expensive. Cult following. For some it has this weird association with identity, class and status. It doesn't work with anything else. BUT, you'll always have those who will say "don't you know there is an emulator for that" (ie: jtek/tanpan). Also, there is an obsession with the founder Jobs (Tulio) making things that already existed, or were fairly obvious, but just waaaay shinier like the ipod, mini, iphone (quick releases, and corkscrews) and somehow everyone has a drawer full of them (QR's), never to be used and never to be discarded because they're "probably worth something" - and inexplicably, they are.... both companies have flirted with financial disaster, and lastly, everyone is quick to say "They've lost their way"

So, who's Sram? They're certainly Google/Facebook. They piggybacked of microsoft (shimano) forever, until they bought up everything, and now try to convince us to live in there world of crazy ideas (1x) etc, and... they're clearly going to be the end of us!

Last edited by rain dogs; 12-09-2023 at 09:22 AM.