Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-13-2023, 10:57 AM

those are handsome looking bikes. Hilltopper, yours looks awesome!

I know that once I try eTap, I will be hooked, so I stick with mechanical shifting . Ha ha!

Actually, my heart is in using Campy and I think EPS is overbuilt and way behind the other two. That is the real reason I would still use cable shifting.
Old 12-13-2023, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
I haven't trimmed them yet! They are going on an incoming frameset, so I left them as they came until the new one gets here.
Explanation accepted. Carry on, then.
Old 12-13-2023, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
I am gonna do it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLZYyuyy3vs

Quick question: how do you ensure those wires don't interfere with the BB install? Are there enough of a gap for those wires to pass through? I have never done this before.

[/IMG]
PF30 involves two cups on the outside of the bottom bracket shell, so there is really nothing that is strictly required in the middle of the bottom bracket shell -- aside for the skinny spindle of the crankset when you install it. So there's theoretically tons of extra space around the spindle itself.

HOWEVER, most PF30 bottom brackets have a "spindle cover" that bridges across. Still, there should be enough space around it for some Di2 wires.

The "spindle cover" is not required by design of the PF30 system, but serves a few potential purposes:
1) If an unthinking person leaves a metal gear cable resting against the spindle, you will eventually cut the crankset in half as you pedal! I know one person whose bike shop did a crappy job of routing their internal gear cables and they had their crank split in half during a ride!
2) It provides yet another barrier to crud getting into the bearings from inside the frame (e.g. if anything makes its way through the holes for the front deraileur cable or via the bottom bracket cable port holes).
3) For the thread-together versions, some people find that connecting the two bearings helps prevent movement of the bottom bracket and/or keeps the cups better aligned (no creaking).

I'm not a Di2 expert, but this is what Serotta's website says for these bikes and Di2: "Bikes for NEW Shimano DI2 Spec require an exit hole on the lower ST for front derailleur and rear drive dropout for the rear derailleur, that will be added on request."

My interpretation:
- He is surely talking about the new semi-wireless 12-speed DI2. The shifters would be wireless. So you only need wires going between the battery and the two derailleurs. And that requires only [edit: two extra holes] compared to what the frame already has. The older Di2 version will involve several more holes in the frame if you are trying to replicate that internal wiring arrangement in the diagram. I would use caution about making those holes large (e.g. large enough to accomodate those rubber port covers). You'll be removing a lot more material than just one tiny hole. Maybe it's better to just have a minimal hole and make sure the edges are smooth (not sharp enough to cut the wires)? But maybe I'm overthinking it.
- Or you can run everything externally (definitely not as pretty, but much less frame drilling).

Whatever you do, good luck!

Last edited by TrackSmart; 12-13-2023 at 12:20 PM.
Old 12-13-2023, 12:26 PM
Senior Junior

This bicycle is correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
I took mine out yesterday! This bike rides like a Serotta. It's smooth, comfortable and performs well. It was/is a steal if you can find one that fits and don't want/need internal cable routing. The PF30 with wheels manufacturing bb is silent. AXS wireless works well and prices have gotten pretty reasonable. It also has hidden fender mounts for all weather riding!

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
92 T-Max
Old 12-13-2023, 01:33 PM

I guess I'm just kinda failing to see the appeal of these in some ways... is the appeal that they're a cheap electronic only disc frameset with a good name attached to them?

Is there something magical about the geo?

I guess I just don't get it... I mean, I don't have to get it... but like... is the draw that it's a reasonably inexpensive electronic disc frame with a good name attached to it?
I mean, don't get me wrong, they look great but... they also only clear 28's or 30's...
Old 12-13-2023, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
I guess I'm just kinda failing to see the appeal of these in some ways... is the appeal that they're a cheap electronic only disc frameset with a good name attached to them?

I guess I just don't get it... I mean, I don't have to get it... but like... is the draw that it's a reasonably inexpensive electronic disc frame with a good name attached to it?
I mean, don't get me wrong, they look great but... they also only clear 28's or 30's...
It is a well designed frame with proven geometry that works. It would be a bargain with or without the Serotta name. If I am riding on pavement I have no desire to ride anything bigger than a 28c tire. I have plenty of bikes if the terrain requires bigger tires.
Old 12-13-2023, 02:52 PM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
I guess I'm just kinda failing to see the appeal of these in some ways...
It's like this....

don't f__kin' care what other people think, judge it based on your own criteria, use your own judgment, if you like it and it fits your needs, buy it, if not, just ignore it or move along, the world is so big, there's always room for everybody.

The absolute worst thing you can do...get sucked into the hype, participate in group hate, herd mentality

Instead...practice personal responsibility, exercise own discernment, make up your own mind or decision.

I don't have to justify to anyone why I spent $252 to buy a frameset off TPC...I just f'cuking did!
Old 12-13-2023, 03:04 PM

oh pal.
Old 12-13-2023, 03:10 PM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmradio516 View Post
oh pal.

Ok, let me explain in another way...

you know how sometimes the Airlines or a retail store screwed up and put the wrong price tag on an item that should cost several times more in normal circumstances and folks who were lucky to be at the right place at the right time took advantage of that and submitted their orders, those businesses ended up having to honor that....well, that's how I felt about these Duetti frameset offered on TPC. They were not supposed to be selling at $252, not even $595!!! For the time, money and effort that went into producing them, they should be worth 2-3 times more. at least.
Old 12-13-2023, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaMtbRider View Post
It is a well designed frame with proven geometry that works. It would be a bargain with or without the Serotta name. If I am riding on pavement I have no desire to ride anything bigger than a 28c tire. I have plenty of bikes if the terrain requires bigger tires.
But it's a bargain now. When it was released... I'm sure there's a long list of things that would have been better.

But as it goes ymmv.

I guess I couldn't have seen myself getting something like this over a caad13 or the like if I was looking for an Al disc frame.

Now, I can kind of see the appeal at the current price, but their release price is pretty absurd.
Old 12-13-2023, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
It's like this....

don't f__kin' care what other people think, judge it based on your own criteria, use your own judgment, if you like it and it fits your needs, buy it, if not, just ignore it or move along, the world is so big, there's always room for everybody.

The absolute worst thing you can do...get sucked into the hype, participate in group hate, herd mentality

Instead...practice personal responsibility, exercise own discernment, make up your own mind or decision.

I don't have to justify to anyone why I spent $252 to buy a frameset off TPC...I just f'cuking did!
Lmao weisan!

I had no idea they'd dropped to 252. Hell... at that price even I would have been tempted haha.
Old 12-13-2023, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaMtbRider View Post
If you already have a nice disc-brake road bike and like it, then there's nothing here that would make you ditch it for the Serotta frameset.

As for "what's the appeal" of these framesets, I can think of a few possibilities:

1. An inexpensive platform to create a second road bike that is different from your other bikes. It would only be for people who enjoy a project.
  2. A chance for folks with older bikes to build a semi-modern road bike that has fairly classic proportions -- without breaking the bank.
  3. A cheap way to try out a Serotta-designed frame, with the hope that it rides in a way that suggests thoughtful design by a well-known frame builder.

I mostly fall into category #2, but I'll be happy if #3 turns out to be true. My "go fast" road bike uses rim brakes and only has clearance for 25mm tires on narrow rims. I don't need super-wide tire clearance because I have a modern gravel bike for dirt-oriented pursuits. But I would like to have a somewhat-more-modern road bike in the stable that has disc brakes and 28-30mm tubeless tires. This will provide better all-weather braking, comfort, and low-enough pressures for sealant to do its job.

If I just wanted a modern bike (rather than a project), I could just order a Canyon and be done with it. But I'm hoping the Serotta will 1) have more character, 2) standout in a sea of same-looking modern bikes with aero frames, dropped seatstays, and integrated-everything, and 3) be a lot easier to maintain and modify over time.

In sum: It's a "modern" road frame for (cheap) retrogrouches. There. I said it!
Old 12-13-2023, 05:41 PM

Quote:
But it's a bargain now. When it was released... I'm sure there's a long list of things that would have been better.

But as it goes ymmv.

I guess I couldn't have seen myself getting something like this over a caad13 or the like if I was looking for an Al disc frame.

Now, I can kind of see the appeal at the current price, but their release price is pretty absurd.
Having ridden both (and owned 2 Emonda ALRs), this Serotta AL disc frame is to the CAAD13, is like comparing a Peg or Sachs to an all city. It’s at another level of refinement in terms of ride quality and tube shaping/design. The only routing difference on the CAAD which was released later is that the rear brake line is partly internal and that it has a few millimeters more of tire clearance. For the 250-700 that we’ve all paid for ours, they’re a screaming deal

And like TrackSmart is thinking, it’s a fantastic miles eater for the winter if you’ve already got a slammed race bike. Mine really excels on those cruise rides in the winter around the hills in Nashville but was also still more than capable of racing last summer. It compares really favorably to the No22 Great Divide I had.

Last edited by ltwtsculler91; 12-13-2023 at 05:44 PM.
Old 12-13-2023, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltwtsculler91 View Post
Having ridden both (and owned 2 Emonda ALRs), this Serotta AL disc frame is to the CAAD13, is like comparing a Peg or Sachs to an all city. It’s at another level of refinement in terms of ride quality and tube shaping/design. The only routing difference on the CAAD which was released later is that the rear brake line is partly internal and that it has a few millimeters more of tire clearance. For the 250-700 that we’ve all paid for ours, they’re a screaming deal

And like TrackSmart is thinking, it’s a fantastic miles eater for the winter if you’ve already got a slammed race bike. Mine really excels on those cruise rides in the winter around the hills in Nashville but was also still more than capable of racing last summer. It compares really favorably to the No22 Great Divide I had.
Awesome post.

Heck. If I'd seen them pop up for 250ish... I'd have probably bought one too!

I'd honestly love to ride one to see for myself. I can definitely see the utility of owning one of these if you already have an electronic group and wheels handy and/or if you have a race bike and want something a bit more...chill. I just looked at the geometry again and it looks like the stack height at the size I'd ride is kinder than bikes like the caad.

Thanks for the response!
Old 12-13-2023, 09:13 PM

Frameset Weight (Size ML - ~52cm)

My frameset arrived today. For those who are wondering what these weigh, see below.

SUMMARY: It's pretty light for an aluminum disc frameset. It's not quite as light as a CAAD10/12/13 frameset, but much lighter than lower-end stuff like you'd get from State Bicycle and the like.

Serotta Duetti - Size ML (~52cm)
  • Frame + RD Hanger: 1326g *
  • Fork (uncut): 425g
  • Seatpost Collar: 14g
  • Headset (all pieces): 59g
  • Fork Expander plug: 47g
  • Front Thru Axle: 63g
  • Rear Thru Axle: 75g

*Weight for frameset is with bottle cage bolts and seatpost collar removed. So a basically "bare" frameset.

Note: Thru axles are "quick release" style. Spin the QR lever until the threads are fully engaged, then final torque is from closing the QR lever.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bare frame with derailleur hanger.jpg (90.2 KB, 83 views)

Last edited by TrackSmart; 12-14-2023 at 06:20 AM.