Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-07-2023, 04:32 AM

Pounds

I dropped around 28 lbs getting ready for Mt. Washington climb. Race cancelled - too windy. After that ultra disciplined training/eating I knew I was in for a letdown. Gained 12 back in 8 weeks I still am in "normal" bmi, and weigh what I did 45 years ago, but the mirror does not lie. I felt better when I was lighter.

I have a hard time resisting the ice cream/chips when I have these let downs. The sugar "high" is a pick me up. Yes, there is a follow up low but not for long! I mean I put back 12 pounds in 8 weeks. Adapting to no sugar steady state is a psychological shift for me.

Frankly, I find I have to have some goal to motivate me to get it together. So I entered the Assault in Mt. Mitchell. No way I make it unless I drop the weight. I feel like I am a sick soul in this syndrome. But it works for me. Oh well.
Old 11-07-2023, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
I'm at 18 months at the same weight since losing 60 pounds in early 2022. I stay renewed with NOOM to reinforce my habits.
Thanks. I checked out their site, which immediately led me through a series of questions and proudly announced they could have me at my target weight in late January. Then I started getting emails about free trials, but never once did they hint at the cost, so I decided to pass.

Last edited by smontanaro; 11-07-2023 at 12:55 PM.
Old 11-07-2023, 11:17 AM

I went up to 148 lbs in 2022 (from 135 lbs the previous year). This was a bit heavier than I'd like to be. I rode fairly strongly in 2022, thanks to finding a good club. I didn't lose any weight in season, but I made some effort to drink less and eat a bit healthier, and I was down to 142 by the end of the year.

So, I started 2023 at 142 lbs and ended it at about 141-142 lbs. My FTP went up by quite a bit, though. Probably something like 15W. It definitely felt like I was riding very strongly this season, so no complaints.
Old 11-07-2023, 03:16 PM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

Late to the party

Lots of reasons my cycling has diminished dramatically - but working on a reset.

Lots of reasons why my weight approached my all time high before I found cycling.

Started on a plan to get back to “fighting weight”

16 down - 12 to go

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 11-08-2023, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smontanaro View Post
Thanks. I checked out their site, which immediately led me through a series of questions and proudly announced they could have me at my target weight in late January. Then I started getting emails about free trials, but never once did they hint at the cost, so I decided to pass.
IIRC, the cost was around $170 for seven months. I didn't see that as daunting. They don't sell food, just lessons, menu suggestions, and calorie tracking apps. The rough goal is a thousand calorie deficit each day so the user sees around two pounds a week weight loss. I was able to get 2# a week for the first few months, and as my weight dropped, the 2# was harder to achieve but as long as the overall trajectory stayed negative, I didn't get stressed about it.

I lost more weight with diet than exercise. Now that I've lost the weight, it is a balance of calories in v out. I put my workouts in the app and the calorie estimate closely matches that of Strava or the Garmin app.
Old 11-08-2023, 12:48 PM

Quote:
IIRC, the cost was around $170 for seven months. I didn't see that as daunting.
Yeah, wouldn't be an impediment for me either. It's more the apparent tactics of being so coy with their pricing.

I know what to do, and often do it. I'm close enough to my target anyway that it doesn't take much (a few days off the bike, succumbing to one day's sugar craving, digestive issue) to veer away from them target.
Old 11-09-2023, 11:37 AM

I had a lot of 'life happens' earlier in the year. Was supposed to get married and it all fell apart 2 months before the wedding (better than after!). Things since then have been a bit of a doozy and I went up about 20lbs or so from my goal 'fighting weight' so to speak.

Started riding more and started using my murder basement gym (some free weights and my kickr). I'm back to about 172ish from a high of 180-185 when I was really stressed out. Hoping to get back to 160-165 again and seeing how staying there feels. Feeling pretty hopeful about it happening soon.

My 35th birthday is in march and I'm hoping to be pretty damn 'recomped' by then in terms of fitness etc.
Old 11-09-2023, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
I had a lot of 'life happens' earlier in the year. Was supposed to get married and it all fell apart 2 months before the wedding (better than after!). Things since then have been a bit of a doozy and I went up about 20lbs or so from my goal 'fighting weight' so to speak.

Started riding more and started using my murder basement gym (some free weights and my kickr). I'm back to about 172ish from a high of 180-185 when I was really stressed out. Hoping to get back to 160-165 again and seeing how staying there feels. Feeling pretty hopeful about it happening soon.

My 35th birthday is in march and I'm hoping to be pretty damn 'recomped' by then in terms of fitness etc.
I put on weight because I decided that I would put my bikes away in the last three semesters of my master's program. So, I was stressed by working 50 hour weeks plus another 30 hours spent on classwork. I coped by stress eating and was doing little to burn calories. I failed to realize how much exercise helped my stress levels. Next month, I'll start grad school again for another MA, this time with exercise.
Old 11-09-2023, 01:28 PM

Quote:
I put on weight because I decided that I would put my bikes away in the last three semesters of my master's program. So, I was stressed by working 50 hour weeks plus another 30 hours spent on classwork. I coped by stress eating and was doing little to burn calories. I failed to realize how much exercise helped my stress levels. Next month, I'll start grad school again for another MA, this time with exercise.
Good plan! But dang. You're a glutton for punishment too. I'm in medical training and I just extended by a year... so it'll be year 6 post med school or year 10 post college of training. Ooftah!
Old 11-17-2023, 03:03 PM

Hey folks, for those having trouble getting the pounds to come off regardless of diet strategy, have you ever had cortisol levels checked? If yes, do the home test strips actually work?
Old 12-31-2023, 09:36 AM

Done for the year. I didn't lose as much weight as I anticipated, but I think that's in large part to the fact that I've also been doing more upper body exercise (push-ups, planks, curls, etc), something I've really never done before. Looking in the mirror I don't see more extra stuff and my jeans still fit.

I made it through the holidays, better at Thanksgiving than at Christmas. We went to my brother-in-law's for Thanksgiving, so had no leftovers, but had Christmas Eve dinner at our place, so I've had plenty of ham and other leftovers calling to me from the fridge. Still, I think the holiday season was better to my waistline this year than last.

Happy New Year folks...
Old 12-31-2023, 09:50 AM

Lots of stuff happened this year that kept me off the bike and was perfect for Stress eating, but I still managed to drop half of my hoped for weight loss. I'm down 7 from this time last year, but up 5 from when the excrement hit the ventilation device.
Let's try this again...
Old 12-31-2023, 10:37 AM

I lost about 60# in 2022 using Noom. My goal was to not die in my 50s and to have my Navy uniform fit for my son's USNA graduation. My uniform fit and I hit my goal later in the summer. Over the holidays this year, I have put on a few pounds, but I'm only two pounds heavier than I was a year ago. In 2024, I intend to eat better, ride smarter, and try to get closer to my old racing weight. In my 20s and early 30s, I was racing most weekends and riding over 10K a year. I had good legs and the upper body of a ten year old, so I doubt I can get all the way back down.
Old 12-31-2023, 11:32 AM

So, uh, how does this work? I'm in for 2024. I'm fat, and I wouldn't mind some accountability and more riding.
Old 12-31-2023, 11:45 AM

The students in my classroom got me sick with whatever they were carrying at the start of the 2023. Fast forward to mid-March and I still had an annoying cough. A vacation to Spain in March cleared things up at the same time as my knee flared up again. Lost some weight, gained a bit back, and now I am in the losing weight phase again.
I have been doing weight training consistently for the past two months…I just need to up my running in 2024.

I would join a 2024 Paceline Challenge….