Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-22-2020, 02:02 PM
Administrator

Yes, I think that is a pretty good deal. I think those folks are used to dealing in more esoteric lever machines but have had a lot or requests for the La Pavonis.

W.
Old 08-26-2020, 08:27 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
I'm getting better with the three hole nozzle that comes with the Europiccola. I'm finding the key (with hints from the above Sunergos video) is to get the nozzle into the milk closer to the side and back of the container. Submerse the tip and let it get the milk swirling around the container so that as the current comes around and hits the back of the nozzle its like a boulder in a stream. The area in front of the nozzle dips and allows the steam jets to just break the surface so you get that intermittent paper tearing sound, not continous tv static sound. Then just pay attention and adjust as the froth expands. A forum friend offered to send a single hole nozzle so I'll try that when it arrives, but in the meantime I'll keep trying to perfect my technique with the three hole.

Recieved the single hole nozzle yesterday from one of our forum buds and installed it last night. 100% MUCH easier to get better foam with the one hole nozzle. It might take slightly longer to heat up the milk but I noticed right away I'm using less water than before. I would highly recommend making the switch if you are going to be steaming milk even a little bit.

W.
Old 08-27-2020, 12:08 AM
Administrator

Fyi, not mine and no connection to the seller. Came up on my radar and it's a good price!

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/f...184995752.html

W.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Europiccola.jpg (80.6 KB, 192 views)
Old 08-28-2020, 06:25 PM
all slow no go

I've got a Europiccola on the way soon. Cannot wait!
Already planning some functional upgrades (steam wand tip, temperature stuff), but I also kind of want this.... https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/7743...knob-la-pavoni
Old 08-29-2020, 02:11 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwynne View Post
I've got a Europiccola on the way soon. Cannot wait!
Already planning some functional upgrades (steam wand tip, temperature stuff), but I also kind of want this.... https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/7743...knob-la-pavoni
Nice, and that's a cool upgrade!

I got a campy QR from OP that I'm going to modify for the same purpose.

W.
Old 08-29-2020, 02:32 PM
all slow no go

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
Nice, and that's a cool upgrade!

I got a campy QR from OP that I'm going to modify for the same purpose.
Keep us posted on how it turns out. The one I linked to just doesn't feel quite elegant enough. If you come up with a good solution...
Old 09-05-2020, 10:07 PM
all slow no go

At last!

On inspection, it looks good. little bit of surface rust and grime. Did a cleaning cycle, but may still need to properly descale...

Old 09-05-2020, 10:19 PM

Quote:
At last!

On inspection, it looks good. little bit of surface rust and grime. Did a cleaning cycle, but may still need to properly descale...

Congrats, it’s fun to try to figure out how to use it.
Old 09-06-2020, 12:37 PM
Administrator

Quote:
At last!

Congrats! Looks like a nice score.

Enjoy the journey getting it dialed in. There will be ups and downs but when you get it...you'll be glad you got it.

W.
Old 09-06-2020, 12:43 PM

I'm only just now getting decent at this thing. I've had the best luck with the finest grind setting or near it, then somewhat hard tamp pressure. I've made 4 shots today and they were all good and consistent.
Old 09-06-2020, 01:46 PM
all slow no go

I am extremely excited.
Old 09-06-2020, 01:55 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtechnica View Post
I'm only just now getting decent at this thing. I've had the best luck with the finest grind setting or near it, then somewhat hard tamp pressure. I've made 4 shots today and they were all good and consistent.
I've got my grinder dialed into the point if I take it down one more setting it will choke the Europiccola. It's takes roughly 25 - 28 seconds with firm pressure on the lever to pull a shot. They have been very consistent and tasty. I can actually take the grind down finer if I use the Aeropress filter method and place one on the bottom of the basket before filling the portafilter. It does work well but I've gone back to the traditional method.

W.
Old 09-06-2020, 01:55 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I am extremely excited.
Have fun!!

W.
Old 09-13-2020, 12:10 PM

Howdy all. So I just was handed down this Pavoli from my father in law. He had it for a bunch of years and it was always very finnicky with him. If the beans absorbed too much moisture from the air, he said the grind would need to be adjusted. And if it wasnt the beans, then the machine would have a problem with something like the piston coming loose, etc...

He thinks its mechanically sound now, but he's gone to a semi-automatic machine. So I got this.

Does anyone have any foolproof method to figuring out grind size(i think ive got this one down), and how much actual grounds to put in the portafilter? Like, if theres an imaginary line I should roughly shoot for?

It seems that sometimes I will get a little bit of espresso start to drip when I have the piston up. I leave it up for about 10 seconds then start pressing but if it leaks, then i just press as soon as I see it leak. With my method now, I get the leak 50% of the time. Is it my grind size, am I not tamping hard enough, or is there too little espresso?

Grinder below. Thanks!

Old 09-13-2020, 12:31 PM
shimergo

I'm not familiar with lever machines, but generally for espresso that Capresso Infinity grinder cannot grind consistently and fine enough to produce an acceptable shot. I have one, but it's used only for non-espresso brew methods.

For starters, you can try setting the grind size to the finest setting. Otherwise, I'd start looking at espresso grinders.

Tags
coffee, espresso