Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-16-2024, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdm View Post
Only because there’s one near me in good condition for $900 that has the carbon and steel fork.
For the frameset or full bike?

Recent rim brake framesets have sold on the forum for around that much. I personally wouldn't pay that much for such an old one.
Old 06-16-2024, 05:36 PM

Too bad there isn't a steel fork which mates well with the Ritchey Logic integrated lower headset bearing.
Old 06-16-2024, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
For the frameset or full bike?

Recent rim brake framesets have sold on the forum for around that much. I personally wouldn't pay that much for such an old one.
Full bike with what seem like 90's original parts.

I appreciate the pricing advice!
Old 06-16-2024, 07:24 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
Too bad there isn't a steel fork which mates well with the Ritchey Logic integrated lower headset bearing.
Maybe this one? The only proprietary part of the carbon fork is an integrated 45 degree race, so I would presume this part would substitute for that.

https://ritcheylogic.com/bike/headse...set-fork-crown
Old 06-18-2024, 11:50 AM

I had a Ritchey Logic that I ended up selling because I was afraid to ride on the road. I absolutely loved the bike, though. It was so light, and rode smoothly on the ****ty roads we have in South Texas.
Old 06-28-2024, 06:19 AM

Here's mine

Little heavy at 18.5 pounds on my fish scale...may not be accurate.
I can say it is 3/4 heavier than my old aluminum Spooky when fully built.
The weight is not noticeable on the road...what is noticeable is the ride quality. All the road chatter is gone and the ride is seductively smooth (not sure what that means). After riding/racing a stiff aluminum frame for 13 years this bike is like a soft slipper. She does not descend or turn as well as the aluminum bike. The Ritchey feels "springy"...she moves around under me. Ti and Steel always felt "alive" under me...like I am not alone on a ride.
I wouldn't race crits on this frame...but I'm not racing much anymore.
I had a professional fit and switched from Time to Speedplay pedals.
First ride for a 3 hour solo ride, my elapsed time, average speed, and power were nearly identical to the last ride on the aluminum bike. The conditions were bad, poor air quality, heat, and wind. My seatpost and my front der cable slipped requiring stops to fix both (new build it happens)
2 hours in I did start getting weird leg cramps, I'm either adapting to the fit or the new pedals, probably the pedals....It took an hour for me feet to figure out all the float.
The difference that I am feeling the morning after is pretty surprising. I am waaay fresher the morning after on the steel bike than the aluminum bike. I can and will do a recovery ride. On the aluminum frame my joints and back are cooked the morning after a 57 mile ride.
The Ritchey doesn't provide the same immediacy of power transfer that the aluminum bike does...but comfort is performance, and I am spending way more time on the drops on the Ritchey = more aero, more speed.
The aluminum Spooky is an absolute gem at what is does. But any ride over an hour and the Ritchey ride quality just smashes it. As I age (52) the Ritchey ride quality is going to be more and more appreciated. I have a feeling if I ride the Ritchey for a month and then get back on the aluminum bike with that 31.6 seatpost I will not be happier with the harsh ride at all. It was fun for 13 years...but it is time to be on a comfortable bike.
As far as fit...I am still adapting to the fit. That is a 70mm stem...but you can see all the spacers. The bars have a pretty deep drop though so I can get aero. That is the same stem from my Spooky. The bike fits great. It's a 55…I’ll put my 50 mm carbon clinchers on soon and i’m betting those stiff hoops will help with the descending
Attached Images
File Type: jpg unnamed (17).jpg (150.6 KB, 472 views)

Last edited by twoyacks; 06-28-2024 at 07:40 AM. Reason: providing more info
Old 06-28-2024, 07:41 AM

C:\Users\twoya\Downloads\unnamed (16).jpeg (1).jpg

Last edited by twoyacks; 06-28-2024 at 07:51 AM.
Old 06-28-2024, 10:40 AM
Two wheels good

Love that color. 18.5 pounds is very respectable for that bike. Hell, it is for any bike. I rode Speedplay for years thinking it was a great idea. After getting back on Shimano pedals for a week thought to myself "What the hell was I thinking" and sold four sets of Speedplays. I don't care what Speedplay says it's like standing on a Tootsie Pop.
Old 06-28-2024, 03:09 PM

I had been using Time pedals for about a decade...I burn through the retention clip on the right side every season and then need to by a new pair. I literally have a bag of 10 pairs of old Time pedals, Trying the new Speedplays an I'm not sure yet if I'll be keeping them
Old 06-28-2024, 10:51 PM

I think those thomson posts are supposed to be pretty stiff even with setback. If you don't mind having a carbon post, I think you could add some comfort there. Especially if you find one of the fancy canyon ones or a sworks cgr one.

Just a thought if you're worried about it!
Old 06-29-2024, 07:35 AM

thanks...that has been in my mind. The build has so far been confined to what I had in my garage
Old 06-29-2024, 08:05 AM

Quote:
I think those thomson posts are supposed to be pretty stiff even with setback. If you don't mind having a carbon post, I think you could add some comfort there. Especially if you find one of the fancy canyon ones or a sworks cgr one.
Or switch to a Thomson Masterpiece
Old 06-29-2024, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .RJ View Post
Or switch to a Thomson Masterpiece
Pretty sure those are even stiffer...
Old 06-29-2024, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Pretty sure those are even stiffer...
They're thinner wall / lighter
Old 09-30-2024, 03:31 PM
Vendor

Update!

A recent post in the Something New From Ritchey thread reminded me that it's time for an update on my Logic.

Since the original review on page 5, I realized 'hey, I really really like this bike, it's going to be a bike I'm going to have for a long long time, so let's invest in it and make it (almost)* perfect.'

*(almost) because the frame is not UDH compatible so it's 1x12 and not 1x13.

The upgrades included:

- HED Ardennes RA Black wheels
- Schwoobilly Pro One tires (28mm)
- Force AXS 1x12 groupset with a 48T chainring up front, a 10-44 cassette in the back
- Cadex AR 40mm handlebars
- An Easton EA90 120mm stem (not pictured) because I realized after changing the handlebars and hoods that the reach on the bike was diminished and I needed to compensate with the longer stem (was previously an S-Works 110mm stem)

The wheels were purchased primarily for improved braking. Sometimes I get caught in unplanned rain/sleet/hailstorms and the Dura Ace C24's didn't have the stopping power to deal with those situations. These are much better, although I would still prefer to avoid those situations! The wheels were also purchased so that I could run tubeless tires and have a wider inner rim width for a more comfortable rides and less worries about punctures.
Yes, these wheels are so much more comfortable and make the bike feel *even better* (it was already quite magnificent to ride), but wow, I didn't expect them to be quite as better as they are. I'm a big fan of those DA C24 wheels, but these HED Ardennes are on another level. Not going to say they're faster (they probably are) but they feel so much better in every way imaginable. Part of that credit must also go to the Pro One tires, I'm sure. Overall, this has been a transformative upgrade for the bike.

I upgraded the drivetrain to Force AXS 1x because I had the same set up on my Melee and I noticed that even though I often desired the ride feels of the Ritchey, I was reaching for the Melee because I enjoyed operating its 1x set up more than the Ritchey's 2x set up. The 48 x 10/44 high and low gears are sufficient for fast flats/descents and for the super-deluxe climbing rides I like to do. My only regret about this set up is that there's no 12 tooth on the cassette --on fast group rides where optimized cadence is important when taking strong pulls, I find myself missing the 48 x 12 ratio. Otherwise 1x road is a wonderful thing.

The original handlebars were a little wide for my liking, but more importantly the drop was too deep for smooth transitions from the tops and hoods to the drops, so I went with a Cadex AR 40mm bar. It splits the difference between 'aggressive' and 'practical', and it feels really nice.

I've been riding with these upgrades since late spring, and they have made the Ritchey my most favorite bike, the one I reach for more often than the many other bikes I also ride and love to ride. It's plenty fast, maybe just a hair slower than my Melee and other really nice carbon superlight/aero bikes I've owned, but if that's the case than yeah, just a hair. The feels the bikes transmits are sublime, and it handles at the almost-perfect vertex of playful/race-sharp and stable.
I guess if I had one wish, it would be to make it change directions just a smidge faster around the chicanes, otherwise it's perfect.
It feels amazing and rewarding to stand up and climb hard on, feels good at high and low speeds, just feels *GOOD*.
Amazing that in a world where $5000+ framesets are kind of common, something this good can be had for only ~$1600!

I don't regret for one second all the sweet lovin' I put into this bike. It is well deserving!

[IMG]Untitled by Michael Lock, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]Untitled by Michael Lock, on Flickr[/IMG]

PS: To justify writing this up during work-hours, I just need to write that if anyone wants to build up a new one, shoot me a message, I'd be happy to help.

PPS: There are cables on the bike in the picture above --it's just portrait mode being silly that makes it look like I have a fully integrated Logic.