Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-23-2022, 10:50 AM

@Verticaldoug--that's 100% true. I want to find out what MY limits are. There are a number of other clubs that do track days and they usually have things like insurance and instructors for novices. That's what I am going to look out for in the next 6 months.

@R3akwak3n, Ceramics vs Steel brakes seems to be pushing us back to a Rim vs Disc debate... Good! I was feeling guilty talking about cars on a bike forum anyway I do love my Shamal's... I still feel lucky to live somewhere perennially dry so I don't need disc brakes and get to have a bike that's 1lb lighter! I think disc is the future but want to hold out for as long as possible. Maybe a New Bike Day post from me in a year or so
Old 11-23-2022, 11:06 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJWS View Post
@Verticaldoug--that's 100% true. I want to find out what MY limits are. There are a number of other clubs that do track days and they usually have things like insurance and instructors for novices. That's what I am going to look out for in the next 6 months.

@R3akwak3n, Ceramics vs Steel brakes seems to be pushing us back to a Rim vs Disc debate... Good! I was feeling guilty talking about cars on a bike forum anyway I do love my Shamal's... I still feel lucky to live somewhere perennially dry so I don't need disc brakes and get to have a bike that's 1lb lighter! I think disc is the future but want to hold out for as long as possible. Maybe a New Bike Day post from me in a year or so
it kind of goes the other way in cars though as the ceramics are much lighter which I guess its another benefit. As far as bike goes, I will also go with the old school tech there too

and yes please go do a track day with the Vantage. But be careful because after 1 track day might come 2 or 5
Old 11-23-2022, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Update:

I received the car on Friday and have been buzzing ever since! Mine is a "driver". Doesn't show up in the pictures but it needs a paint correction and the interior needs some TLC (actually a LOT--there is an old leather smell that gives me a headache). I kind of like it it looks "broken-n and less flashy. Just a pretty car that gets to play.

The exhaust is not too loud but does make a great sound. I was worried because reading online and watching reviews, I thought it would be really obnoxious but it is not. It just sounds really mechanical.

It takes some work to drive it but I like that. It has a deceptively smooth ride which makes it really easy to go faster than you think. It is not effortless like my buddy's 992 Turbo S though--that car is more of an earth-mover than a sports car though.

The Ergonomics are great--even for my 6'2 height. The seats feel great and the cabin feels roomy enough and it is a very special place to sit. The visibility is surprisingly good for being a low-slung coupe. All of that is attributed to the mirrors though.

I took it to Mulholland on Friday and have been to Angeles Crest for the past two days. It is a real pleasure to drive even at slow and moderate pace.

Anyway, pictures:

Seriously cool! Congrats on finally finding your car! Glad that you're enjoying it. And yes, I agree that the Gaydon Vantages are a great alternative to a 997. I'm a Porsche fan, but the Vantage is much more interesting. As a data point on Porsche issues, my brother was about to purchase an immaculate, lower mile (30Kish) 2006 base 911 in the last few weeks until the PPI revealed bore scoring on the two cylinders closest to the firewall. Ugh.

I'd still like to pick up a Vantage but am also keeping an eye out for a manual-trans Maserati 4200 Coupe. I drove one belonging to a coworker a couple of months ago and was extremely impressed by the car. I'd been somewhat dismissive of them before that. Not as pretty as the Aston, but they're quick, fun to drive, and sound incredible. They're very similar in spec and performance to the early Gaydon Vantage.

Again, congrats!

Texbike

Last edited by texbike; 11-23-2022 at 11:49 AM.
Old 11-23-2022, 01:03 PM
what's a little rust?

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
and no dust either
Interesting! I'm just a fan who follows a lot of sports car racing. I expect to see brake dust, so I'll have to look for lack of it.
Old 11-23-2022, 01:11 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
Interesting! I'm just a fan who follows a lot of sports car racing. I expect to see brake dust, so I'll have to look for lack of it.
yeah, its pretty incredible. A lot of guys like them really just for that, keeps their nice expensive wheels pretty clean.
Old 11-23-2022, 02:11 PM

Quote:
....The Ergonomics are great--even for my 6'2 height. The seats feel great and the cabin feels roomy enough and it is a very special place to sit. The visibility is surprisingly good for being a low-slung coupe. All of that is attributed to the mirrors though. ...
Enjoying this thread. Do you have a gut feel how this car might fit someone 6'5" with long torso and arms? In a nutshell headroom is always the challenge for me. My brother has a late Viper and I was surprised I didn't fit, not even close. He's only an inch shorter, fits it great, but is all leg. I've always assumed German cars were my only option, but my wife loves the look of AMs so, well, you know.
Old 11-23-2022, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donevwil View Post
Enjoying this thread. Do you have a gut feel how this car might fit someone 6'5" with long torso and arms? In a nutshell headroom is always the challenge for me. My brother has a late Viper and I was surprised I didn't fit, not even close. He's only an inch shorter, fits it great, but is all leg. I've always assumed German cars were my only option, but my wife loves the look of AMs so, well, you know.
You should go see for yourself if you have the chance. I'm 6'-3" and I feel like I might be the limit. My seat is almost all the way back and the steering wheel is all the way up to avoid hitting my legs. I think my head is a couple of inches below the headliner. It's actually really comfortable and a nice driving position but you have to fuss with every seat adjustment to get there. My feet (47/13) fit fine in the footwell. The roofline is low. Vantages have comically small visors and I've decided that it's because the roofline is so low that it's effectively a visor that's always down. I'm not sure that's different from too many other sportscars. I had the same experience in the Lotus's I have looked at. Did not notice that in my friend's 992.
Old 11-23-2022, 10:21 PM

OP, this has been a fun thread to read through and congrats on the new toy! Curious what lead you down the path of an Aston other than to avoid the, "look ANOTHER 911" and the double oh seven association we're all fond of? Was there anything else that you shopped for before heading down this path?

Steels are Alloys too!
Old 11-24-2022, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriarQuade View Post
OP, this has been a fun thread to read through and congrats on the new toy! Curious what lead you down the path of an Aston other than to avoid the, "look ANOTHER 911" and the double oh seven association we're all fond of? Was there anything else that you shopped for before heading down this path?
Friar, I have been writing this response and it is loooong. So long and probably not interesting. Apologies.

Edited for Clarity.

I looked at Boxsters, Caymans, 993 911's, 997 911's, S1 Evora's and Evora GT's. All were interesting in their own ways. I read some article about a sports car being okay to be a little difficult or precious and thought it would be great to have a beautiful car that felt special to drive rather than a perfect Porsche. This one had my name on it and I'm glad I bit the bullet and went through with it!

Last edited by IJWS; 11-24-2022 at 02:13 PM.
Old 11-27-2022, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Friar, I have been writing this response and it is loooong. So long and probably not interesting. Apologies.

Edited for Clarity.

I looked at Boxsters, Caymans, 993 911's, 997 911's, S1 Evora's and Evora GT's. All were interesting in their own ways. I read some article about a sports car being okay to be a little difficult or precious and thought it would be great to have a beautiful car that felt special to drive rather than a perfect Porsche. This one had my name on it and I'm glad I bit the bullet and went through with it!
O Man I'm kinda bummed that you Edited this post, I just came back to re-read it. This original post was so much better, hopefully you will post it again.

Besides that, what your thoughts on the Vantage VS DB9, did you drive a DB9 ?

Old 11-27-2022, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlC View Post
O Man I'm kinda bummed that you Edited this post, I just came back to re-read it. This original post was so much better, hopefully you will post it again.

Besides that, what your thoughts on the Vantage VS DB9, did you drive a DB9 ?

Karl, I felt like the original post started a little too early in my search--like it started with my favorite Tonka truck as a kid and caught up to 2023!!!

Really my search got kickstarted with the Cayman GTS. That was the bar for any other car I considered--which meant I wanted the smallest sports car I could find. I think the Vantage will be a great GT car but it IS so much smaller than it looks (same dimensions as a cayman). As usual, my long-winded way of saying no I didn't drive or consider a DB9.

Funny enough though, yesterday on a bike ride my wife pointed out a goldish silvery DB9 on the road and said "that's a nice color". That's as close as she has gotten to complimenting my Vantage We did do a run through the iconic 2nd street tunnel in Downtown Los Angeles after dinner last night and she said "well I know what I want to do tomorrow!" so that's some movement!

Last edited by IJWS; 11-29-2022 at 04:05 PM.
Old 11-27-2022, 11:39 AM

Interestingly, I saw an early black Vantage coupe while on a bike ride a few days ago. The cars have great presence!

Texbike
Old 12-03-2022, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Karl, I felt like the original post started a little too early in my search--like it started with my favorite Tonka truck as a kid and caught up to 2023!!!

Really my search got kickstarted with the Cayman GTS. That was the bar for any other car I considered--which meant I wanted the smallest sports car I could find. I think the Vantage will be a great GT car but it IS so much smaller than it looks (same dimensions as a cayman). As usual, my long-winded way of saying no I didn't drive or consider a DB9.

Funny enough though, yesterday on a bike ride my wife pointed out a goldish silvery DB9 on the road and said "that's a nice color". That's as close as she has gotten to complimenting my Vantage We did do a run through the iconic 2nd street tunnel in Downtown Los Angeles after dinner last night and she said "well I know what I want to do tomorrow!" so that's some movement!
Im stating to see nice 2013, 2014 and such under $50K, that's about the same price as the around 2006+ car prices, why is that ? What's the differences ?

Old 12-03-2022, 11:01 AM
PegoNagos

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlC View Post
Im stating to see nice 2013, 2014 and such under $50K, that's about the same price as the around 2006+ car prices, why is that ? What's the differences ?

I would like to know that as well.
Old 12-03-2022, 11:41 AM

The two main differences between the 2006-2008 and 2009+ cars are:

1. Engine size and output. 2006 = 4.3L 385 hp and 2009=4.7L 400+hp. This makes the car feel a little quicker but it's no Turbo S. You're still in 5ish seconds range for 0-60. That said, common knowledge is that 4.7 is the way to go and that's what I was holding out for. I think that both engines need to be high in the rev range to be fun though so, man-math aside, the 4.3 is probably smarter because you get to use more right foot

2. There is a slight interior update for the center stack. This one is a difference but I'm not sure which one is better. The 2006-2008 generation looks more analog with big milled knobs and not very much screen. Kinda looks like an old stereo (a plus in my book) and the 2009+ has a more refined-looking center stack that looks a bit slicker. I like the newer center stack but if you're thinking of the Vantage as a "future-classic" the older version looks more classic.

Sorry for the image size. I'm just trying to use existing BAT image links. I do wish it was easier to post pictures on this forum...