Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-26-2021, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoti View Post
Shadow, and you, deserved better. Keep the good memories alive and post her often.
I guess I was the lucky one - I wasn't euthanized. That's not much condolence to either myself or Shadow, though.

I'd like to have a dog, but I don't have the proper amount of time to dedicate to one.
Old 05-26-2021, 10:49 AM

Really enjoying this thread.

This is Annie our Aussie rescue. She's been with us for 3 years now and is the smartest and best dog I've ever had. I see another Aussie (N+1?) in our future.

-Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0815rs.jpg (43.5 KB, 235 views)
Old 05-26-2021, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4_Ford View Post
This is Lucky. He was a stray abuse victim that my daughter found in the neighborhood. Some vile human pile of trash had wrapped a rubber band so tightly around his mouth that he couldn’t eat or drink. It had cut into his jaw.
People can be such cruel creatures. If we didn't run things, we'd be banned
Old 05-26-2021, 11:34 AM

This is Fiona, late of Ashdown AK, where she was rescued with a broken leg as a very young puppy. Fixed with a metal pin and we got her at about 10 months.

She loves to catch frisbees, and mountain hiking. No more stray cats in the yard, either! We have one acre fenced against deer, which is her domain.

Doggie DNA says 3/8 Aussie Cattle Dog, 1/5 Border Collie, and 1/5 Rat Terrier. After a bit over two years with us, she's 39 pounds of energy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2021-05-26 at 12.31.52 PM.jpg (115.8 KB, 220 views)
File Type: jpg Fiona Mt Madison copy.jpg (124.1 KB, 218 views)
Old 05-26-2021, 12:39 PM

This is our 15 year old rescue dog, Buddy. The photo is probably 8-9 years old. He is mostly lab and has the insatiable interest in food to prove it. A few years ago he answered a hypothetical question we'd posed to ourselves. Due to a mudroom door not latched AND a metal food storage pail with the bail left open, Buddy ate himself into a stupor. Fortunately, he had not been home alone for long. He spent the day at the vet's under observation and there was no permanent harm done. Did he learn a lesson? He's a lab mutt, silly question.

Jan G.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 011.jpg (89.9 KB, 216 views)
Old 05-26-2021, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthornt View Post
My first black Lab, Abby, got the entire Thanksgiving turkey off the counter about an hour before people started showing up. It's not the same meal without the turkey.
Right. And Abby posted "It's much better if it's not table scraps!"
Sampson
HotTubes
LtSpeed
SpeshFat
Old 05-26-2021, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben View Post
I'd like to have a dog, but I don't have the proper amount of time to dedicate to one.
Ugh....I wish there were more people that thought this way before they bought their dog. There are a large of percentage of people that are buying dogs as accessories these days. Cool if it's a tiny little lap dog and can get exercise scampering around the house. Not cool when your neighbor two doors down buys a German Shepard and never exercises the poor thing and then leaves it in the backyard to bark all day while they go and day drinking.....ugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
Doggie DNA says 3/8 Aussie Cattle Dog, 1/5 Border Collie, and 1/5 Rat Terrier. After a bit over two years with us, she's 39 pounds of energy!
Niiiice. First Blue Heeler I've seen. I worked on a ranch my first year out of college and the owner had a blue heeler that was one of the absolute coolest, smartest, hardest working dogs I've ever met. Good stuff
Old 05-26-2021, 01:20 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrider View Post
Niiiice. First Blue Heeler I've seen. I worked on a ranch my first year out of college and the owner had a blue heeler that was one of the absolute coolest, smartest, hardest working dogs I've ever met. Good stuff
Many years ago I played on a number of tournament softball teams and one of my teammates had a Queensland Blue Heeler. Smartest dog I've ever met. She would surreptitiously go into the other team's dugout and systematically transfer their balls to ours. The further we made it in the tournament the more balls we'd accrue.
Old 05-26-2021, 01:28 PM

And because I left her out of my previous post, here is me and my now deceased girl Bonnie, taking second place in the San Francisco Dogfest "best lap dog" competition.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20170422-WA0026.jpg (116.3 KB, 205 views)
Old 05-26-2021, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
Many years ago I played on a number of tournament softball teams and one of my teammates had a Queensland Blue Heeler. Smartest dog I've ever met. She would surreptitiously go into the other team's dugout and systematically transfer their balls to ours. The further we made it in the tournament the more balls we'd accrue.
HA....that's amazing, and something I totally would have suspected TANK of doing also.

I honestly can't recall Tank's owner/handler ever having to discipline that dog or tell him what to do or when to do it or even how to do it.......the dog was just so 'instinctive' for lack of better term.

For instance we'd go into a little country bumpkin slop or food joint and sometimes a waitress or somebody would say no dogs allowed in here. Owner would just keep walking without even motioning towards the dog and Tank would just turn around and walk out and sit right next to the door until we were done. It was the closest I've ever seen to a human in dogs clothing.
Old 05-26-2021, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
And because I left her out of my previous post, here is me and my now deceased girl Bonnie, taking second place in the San Francisco Dogfest "best lap dog" competition.
Ha! Love this. Little kid's face in the purple is great.
Old 05-26-2021, 02:01 PM

I just gotta say I love this thread!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-26-2021, 02:18 PM

Totally agree with the comments about back yard dogs. Don't want to harsh happy vibes for this thread but I walk my dog 3x a day now that I am retired. Before that he got at least two a day. These neighborhood walks acquaint me with the other dog walkers in the area. I also see way too many that never seem to leave the yard. I just feel sorry for them, even though they always appear to be barking.

Tim
Old 05-26-2021, 02:30 PM

Here are our two rescues: Layla, a, 11 year old lemon beagle and Abby a 2 year old golden. Sadly Layla has a degenerative back condition that prevents us from walking her anymore, but it doesn't prevent her from gorging on cicadas.
Abby will walk anytime, any place however, plus she does enjoy the occasional cicada snack as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210514_170444A.jpg (74.9 KB, 189 views)
File Type: jpg 20210208_104609A.jpg (33.6 KB, 189 views)
Old 05-26-2021, 02:45 PM

We lost both of our old dudes in the past year. They had great lives, at 18 (Freckie the mouser) and 14 (Baxter - Rott/Cattle Dog), time just caught up with them.

The new girls have a lot to live up to. Kaya the cat - we stopped at a shelter after a kayaking trip and she followed us home, and Maddie - Lab/Pitbull (oh no!)