Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-01-2023, 10:09 AM
Administrator

Don't get your Tesla too wet...

Old 09-01-2023, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
Don't get your Tesla too wet...
Am I missing something. I regularly see folks in Tesla's motoring around during rain/snow events and have yet to see one combust.
Old 09-01-2023, 01:36 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Might have driven through deep water
Old 09-01-2023, 01:38 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zap View Post
Am I missing something. I regularly see folks in Tesla's motoring around during rain/snow events and have yet to see one combust.
I was kind of joking. This was due to the flooding in Florida area. Submersing them in salt water apparently shorts something out and can lead to major fire.
Old 09-01-2023, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
I was kind of joking. This was due to the flooding in Florida area. Submersing them in salt water apparently shorts something out and can lead to major fire.
Got it.
Old 09-01-2023, 08:53 PM

RAV4 Prime Plug-in Hybrid

I just put my first 1,000 miles on it. My commute is 15 miles each way. My pure EV range is over 45 miles. I’ve only needed to use gas when on long trips (2x). I can recharge at work on a Level 2 charger, and at home on a Level 1 charger (overnight). I pay 15 cents/KWH at work, which is well below market (less than 75 cents/day). I love driving in EV mode. The torque and acceleration are amazing. I don’t drive slow and don’t use ECO mode.

We will need to purchase a second car within the year and the Hyundai Ionic 5n that’s about to come to the US market looks really appealing. 0-60 in 3.6 seconds in an EV that supposedly is going to handle well and be track capable is pretty appealing. Hopefully the $7,500 tax credit gets worked out, and becomes available for EVs made by companies other than Tesla and GM.
Old 09-01-2023, 09:38 PM

Porsche plug in hybrid here and for four months now loving the hybrid despite its poor electric only range.

I added two 220v chargers in the garage ( futureproofing) and the car charges fully in about 3 hours now.

There is only about 20 miles of range in all electric, before it
Defaults to hybrid, but it is a pretty ingenious system. Overthought, no doubt, by Porsche engineers.

Once the battery depletes, it recharges just enough from both brake regen and revs, so that it coasts and rests in electric only, then when the motor does kick on it is damn near imperceptible. (Electric motor sandwiched between engine and transmission helps ease the transition). If you want to generate more battery reserve when depleted , you just switch to sport mode and the motor holds revs higher and charges the battery at a higher rate than in hybrid mode.

Best part is you can push a boost mode and get an extra 100 horse kick form the electric motor on demand.

I haven’t tracked electric bill increase yet. Too hard to do in the summer with daily temps over 100 for more than a month now, but my bill seems the same.

Hard to evaluate gas mileage too because there are so many variables based on how you drive. SO only drives about 20-25 miles a day, so gas use is only about 5 miles while the rest is electric. The car gets about 20mpg on its own, and we are averaging about 33 total. Not bad for a biggish suv that is more for sort and comfort than economy.

I do love that road trips take no thought and you just fill up with gas when needed. Easy and familiar. Just waiting on solid state batteries and double range before I make the switch totally.

This car has me totally confused on what I should buy for myself next. It makes sense that mine be electric only because then both bases are covered, one for trips and one for daily, but I am still holding on to a love for a real gas fired engine.
Old 09-01-2023, 09:40 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Our 2022 Bolt EV got a new battery, took a week, came home yesterday.

Late July they applied an Advanced Diagnostic patch. This was after being notified the 'All Bolts' are getting new battery has changed to "Advanced Diagnostic patch" will be installed. After 6200 miles it will remove the 80% charge limit, a limit we've put up with for over a year.

Patch applied, drove home. Car got driven to airport for vaca, car driven home and parked. 2 weeks later car driven to airport to pick us up and driven home. 2nd day home @ about 150ish mile after patch applied, car dash lit up like a x-mas tree. Would not charge, would not re-gen during driving, no A/C, Dash read 'Propulsion power is reduced", service light on solid.

So much for the 6200 mile Advanced diagnostic.

Wife happy to have her car back and 100%. She loves the thing.
Old 09-01-2023, 09:49 PM

This thread is why I just bought a used Toyota Highlander with a v6 and no cvt

In 300,000 miles...I'll give you a review. Hopefully, wherever they get the battery material from doesn't have a revolution or some other sort of implosion
Old 09-02-2023, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickdoc View Post
Porsche plug in hybrid here and for four months now loving the hybrid despite its poor electric only range.

I added two 220v chargers in the garage ( futureproofing) and the car charges fully in about 3 hours now.

There is only about 20 miles of range in all electric, before it
Defaults to hybrid, but it is a pretty ingenious system. Overthought, no doubt, by Porsche engineers.

Once the battery depletes, it recharges just enough from both brake regen and revs, so that it coasts and rests in electric only, then when the motor does kick on it is damn near imperceptible. (Electric motor sandwiched between engine and transmission helps ease the transition). If you want to generate more battery reserve when depleted , you just switch to sport mode and the motor holds revs higher and charges the battery at a higher rate than in hybrid mode.

Best part is you can push a boost mode and get an extra 100 horse kick form the electric motor on demand.

I haven’t tracked electric bill increase yet. Too hard to do in the summer with daily temps over 100 for more than a month now, but my bill seems the same.

Hard to evaluate gas mileage too because there are so many variables based on how you drive. SO only drives about 20-25 miles a day, so gas use is only about 5 miles while the rest is electric. The car gets about 20mpg on its own, and we are averaging about 33 total. Not bad for a biggish suv that is more for sort and comfort than economy.

I do love that road trips take no thought and you just fill up with gas when needed. Easy and familiar. Just waiting on solid state batteries and double range before I make the switch totally.

This car has me totally confused on what I should buy for myself next. It makes sense that mine be electric only because then both bases are covered, one for trips and one for daily, but I am still holding on to a love for a real gas fired engine.

Sounds like Porsche bought stake in Toyota...
Old 09-02-2023, 11:02 AM
what's a little rust?

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddybikes View Post
Sounds like Porsche bought stake in Toyota...
Toyota’s been visibly developing their hybrids in LeMans/WEC race cars for years, Polestar’s system seems to be similar, plus Honda and the new Mazda SUV … I like that this thinking is proliferating. Seems the most useful approach for local driving and road trips with one vehicle.
Old 09-02-2023, 11:49 AM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
This thread is why I just bought a used Toyota Highlander with a v6 and no cvt

In 300,000 miles...I'll give you a review. Hopefully, wherever they get the battery material from doesn't have a revolution or some other sort of implosion
To keep misnomer outta the EV conversation equation. Go ahead a look up the numbers of car fires per unit on EV and Gas vehicles. Then subtract the 2019 Bolts from that equation.. [truth in #s]

I recently sold my PHEV Pacifica, but not for any other reason than financial. I only drive 300 mile a month and sold it for $36k. It was depreciating way faster than what I was saving in fuel @ my use. And I owed $10g on it still. So out with PHEV and in with a used 2018 Sedona 22mpg to replace it for cash.

When you take the interest portion of the payment I don't have anymore. The monthly fuel cost @ less than 1/2 mpg is near same for 300 mile a month. Like 10.00 near.

I liked using $20.00 a month fuel in a 5k lb van. Liked the torque the EV motor moved it from stops, and how quiet it was.

Luv no payment for another 31 months, and the Sedona seats being more comfprtable by a lot.

YMMV, but I doubt it.
Old 01-03-2024, 10:09 AM

If you want an EV, you should have bought last year. The number of vehicles qualifying for the Federal tax credit has been reduced significantly. https://apple.news/AJRc4_qk5RpKn1UtZ_Npi9Q
Old 01-03-2024, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickdoc View Post
Cayenne? I've been eyeing the Panamera plug-in and Taycan. We'll see what the next couple months brings with some potential commute changes in our household. Nice to read the positive review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
If you want an EV, you should have bought last year. The number of vehicles qualifying for the Federal tax credit has been reduced significantly. https://apple.news/AJRc4_qk5RpKn1UtZ_Npi9Q
I didn't see leases mentioned. There was a loophole that allowed leases to capture the full $7500. Wonder if that is still possible? A salesman told me folks are doing the lease on EVs and then paying off the car right away or within a couple of payments for cars that don't make the official list of approved tax credit.
Old 01-03-2024, 11:33 AM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
Yes/No/Sort of, the most popular were past cap numbers and had no fed tax credits anyway. Our 2022 Bolt bought in 7/21 had none, Telsa haven't in a few years I believe.

The following drawn out drivel is my attempt to point out points of aspects of purchase/cost as I see it.

The other changes with the fed tax credit are good. You don't have to wait until you file to net your coin, dealer can apply as equity. And I believe the folks paying less than 7500.00 tax can get the entire 7500, not positive on that detail. When we got the 7500 on our 2020 PHEV Pacifica purchase I got it 4-5 mo later. Similarly state rebate programs also can have those applied as equity as time of purchase. That was the case with our July/2021 Bolt [2022 car] purchase. When we got the PHEV it took 7 months to get a check for the state DEQ rebate [Oregon]. So basically we lent ourselves the $10k s down payment anticipating it's return. Point being if you don't have the resources for this or to pay cash for the vehicle it changes the $ dynamic a lot.

That said, Bolt now has the fed tax credit again. Equipped same as my wife's the car is $5k more AND you will pay over sticker where as we paid below. Not to mention you won't get near the trade we did. Markets flo and adjust. In fact the $14,100.00 trade we got for our 38k mile 2018 Fit LX on the Bolt in 7/21 is unlikely to occur again, at least anytime soon again.

Just like house prices, rates define the market prices, cars have additional things to have cost effect market wise.

The other observable aspect is "what is on the lots to take delivery?" Dealers are not likely to have a $27k Bolt on the lot when they know full well most of us now are indoctrinated to luxury VS base necessity builds.

I personally think my wife's car was overpriced, [near double 2018 Fit LX cost] but all that collision avoidance, lane alert, heated human interface surfaces, big wheels, yada yada piles price on fast. But as said, she loves the car, and she is the one commuting/working still. As I have said, I drive under 200-300 miles/mo.

Now I observe ALL cars are crazy overpriced. My PHEV sticker was $47k. Same PHEV Pacifica we had is $59k today. AND you will pay over sticker. We got it for $10k off sticker 12/2020 when we bought.

I pray I don't HAVE to buy another car for years... It eats into my bike spending too seriously...

Last edited by robt57; 01-03-2024 at 12:10 PM.