Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-04-2022, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobydrew View Post
The divot went away after I switched to the larger basket. When I was having that issue with the smaller basket, I thought the issue was showerscreen or water dispersion related. I cleaned the dispersion plate, dispersion nut, and showerscreen completely with Cafiza, but the divot was still there. I then rotated the screen 90 degrees to see if the divot tracks with it, but it had no effect.

Regarding the underextraction with the larger basket, did you adjust your grind size? You'll need to play around with it since there's more headroom.
Make sure you scrub the dispersion plate with scotch brite green, to get rid of any built up coffee oils

Also look at your shower screen to see if it has been deformed with use, if so, there is a higher chance of channeling

With regards to filling your portafilter, fill basket to half full, tap PF on bench firmly, then fill again till desired dosage weight. Tap again on bench to settle grounds and tamp.
Old 02-05-2022, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
You can take it apart to clean it and align the burr.

How to clean Breville coffee maker grinder / How to clean Breville coffee grinder

Un-lock the bean hopper.
Empty any residual beans out into a container.
Return the hopper back in place (lock it).
Run a normal grind cycle until there are no grounds coming out.
Un-lock the hopper once more and set it aside.
Using the handle at the top of your outer burr, proceed to turn the burr in the direction of the “ALIGN” arrow. This unlocks it to allow you remove it.
Brush any grounds- use a cleaning brush- from the crevices (of the burr) and the top of your lower burr.
Reinstall the outer burr then lock your bean hopper back properly in place. You should not, however, replace the coffee beans yet.
Next, clean the chute- just slide your cleaning brush in to the ground s chute and move it in/out in a spiral motion. This releases any grounds still clinging inside your chute.
Now replace the coffee beans in your hopper.
Resume use of your espresso machine.

https://machinelounge.com/breville-b...nder-problems/
Thanks for posting this!
Old 02-05-2022, 05:52 PM
Everything is connected

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmradio516 View Post
Thanks for posting this!
Any time…here are two pre and post pics from this morning from my Breville grinder and espresso machine…hope your issue is just an adjustment quirk.

Old 02-06-2022, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Any time…here are two pre and post pics from this morning from my Breville grinder and espresso machine…hope your issue is just an adjustment quirk.
This is what i was looking for! Thanks again! Ill take a before and after pic today!
Old 02-06-2022, 09:02 AM

I added a refractometer to the bench.

Having been down the rabbit hole of special white teas and not making espresso in many months, I thought my espresso making skills went to hell when after ordering beans from my long time favorite, my shots sucked. Way over extracted. Disgusting.

The refractometer helped me figure out what probably could have been obvious. The beans were much heavier. The oily look should have been a tip off. I normally dose by volume. Turns out I need less volume and a different grind fineness on those beans. It is really just toy. But, it clued me into the problem and I dialed the shots in pretty quickly thereafter. My mistake was assuming the beans would be identical to past batches. Big mistake. What a difference in flavor and taste profiles.
Old 02-06-2022, 02:35 PM

Quote:
So this is what I get at the 5 setting on the grinder. And I normally use 17g worth of grinds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-07-2022, 08:07 AM
Everything is connected

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmradio516 View Post
So this is what I get at the 5 setting on the grinder. And I normally use 17g worth of grinds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looks pretty decent...here is a site that dives into the Breville gear and other topics that might be of interest.

https://www.youtube.com/c/Seattlecoffeegearinfo
Old 02-07-2022, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Looks pretty decent...here is a site that dives into the Breville gear and other topics that might be of interest.

https://www.youtube.com/c/Seattlecoffeegearinfo
Thanks yeah i love their videos. I guess i just wasnt sure if the roughness of the puck was bad or not. My Capresso made the puck smooth as silk, so thats what I was used to. But yeah, it looks like my grounds are pretty consistent and the puck is just weird!
Old 02-08-2022, 10:21 AM
PegoNagos

Bought another Tune tamper. I have their 1st version, which used an actual production hub. Now they are using a hub shell that isn't drilled for spokes.

It's nice to have tamping options!

Old 02-08-2022, 11:38 AM
shimergo

That's awesome! Might be going that route if I can't find a CK tamper that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.
Old 02-08-2022, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobydrew View Post
That's awesome! Might be going that route if I can't find a CK tamper that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.
Consider one from Tom @ Demon Frameworks. It's a beast.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1436.jpg (94.5 KB, 149 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1435.jpg (98.8 KB, 146 views)
Old 02-08-2022, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripvanrando View Post
I added a refractometer to the bench.

Having been down the rabbit hole of special white teas and not making espresso in many months, I thought my espresso making skills went to hell when after ordering beans from my long time favorite, my shots sucked. Way over extracted. Disgusting.

The refractometer helped me figure out what probably could have been obvious. The beans were much heavier. The oily look should have been a tip off. I normally dose by volume. Turns out I need less volume and a different grind fineness on those beans. It is really just toy. But, it clued me into the problem and I dialed the shots in pretty quickly thereafter. My mistake was assuming the beans would be identical to past batches. Big mistake. What a difference in flavor and taste profiles.
A nice scale would have done the same thing. Weigh 18 grams in, grind and then pour a shot with the scale under the espresso shot. Stop at 36. If done properly, should take between 25-30seconds.

Anyway, this is just very traditional parameters that lots of roasters tell you to start out at. Many people pull much shorter 1:1 or longer 1:2.5 or 1:3. Only your taste buds and beans will know.
Old 02-10-2022, 01:11 PM

uh oh...just got an email from Denis... Monolith pre-orders open up in a few days.

must...resist....
Old 02-10-2022, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankles View Post
uh oh...just got an email from Denis... Monolith pre-orders open up in a few days.

must...resist....
What would you ( attempt ) to order?
Old 02-10-2022, 02:25 PM
shimergo

I'm trying to talk myself out of ordering a MC4 to go along with my MAX. I'm really curious about the texture and mouthfeel that comes as product of the conicals, but also really enjoy the clarity from the MAX at the moment.

Last edited by scoobydrew; 02-10-2022 at 02:28 PM.

Tags
coffee, coffee espresso