Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-24-2024, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
San Francisco? Where?
Pittsburgh, according to the previous set of pictures.
Old 09-25-2024, 09:40 AM

The good thing about an all road bike is that it lets you take the longer way home on the spur of the moment. This road was actually a poor choice for my 650Bx38 shod Bingham, as it had a fresh layer of sand put down on a very crowned road and I kept sliding down and digging in. I averaged 7 mph on this road. The single track was way faster.

It's the annual fishing derby here on MV and the fisherhumans are everywhere.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7369.JPG (90.5 KB, 346 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7370.jpg (82.9 KB, 354 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7371.jpg (96.2 KB, 345 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7373.jpg (72.9 KB, 349 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7374.JPG (111.2 KB, 354 views)
Old 09-25-2024, 10:38 AM

A few from the recent weeks

Old 09-25-2024, 08:16 PM

Finally getting back on my MTB after spending the past 3 years riding road and gravel!

Old 09-26-2024, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zs3889 View Post
Finally getting back on my MTB after spending the past 3 years riding road and gravel!

Nice, Hole in the Ground is my old favorite! I've also fallen off of mountain biking.
Old 09-26-2024, 11:50 AM
Vendor

Groovilicious sloppy gravel! This is an awesome, *awesome*, **AWESOME** little route. Back roads, mountain views, plenty of punchy climbs, turtle rescuing, riverside rambling, a little MTB-lite stuff, creek crossings, state park (no cars!), cows, deer, donkeys, chickens, loose dogs, Gooney Manor Loop, and one particularly sketchy area passing a certain foxy farm where a particularly unsavory but incredibly well-coiffed man is rumored to live.
I've been going lower and lower with the tire pressure lately, and the lower I go, the better it gets. There's plenty of good road riding in the world, so almost no one *needs* a gravel bike...but man, if having a gravel bike means being able to experience rides like these, it's a luxury worth having!

[IMG]Untitled by Michael Lock, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 09-26-2024, 01:00 PM

Since moving west I've come to appreciate the fact that although our leaves are not New England leaves, or Virginia leaves, Mother Nature puts on a pretty good show each fall in every setting. Here, it's the contrast of the yellow quakies (just starting to turn), the orange scrub oak, and the red maples that just look so right against the evergreen canvas of a mountain backdrop.

Old 09-26-2024, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exapkib View Post
Since moving west I've come to appreciate the fact that although our leaves are not New England leaves, or Virginia leaves, Mother Nature puts on a pretty good show each fall in every setting. Here, it's the contrast of the yellow quakies (just starting to turn), the orange scrub oak, and the red maples that just look so right against the evergreen canvas of a mountain backdrop.
Looks like Alpine Loop!
Old 09-26-2024, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zs3889 View Post
Looks like Alpine Loop!
None other! Now is the time, my friends.

(I am so grateful to be in a place and at a point in my life that I can take a few hours off work, roll down my driveway, ride the Alpine Loop, and return to my day--so much experience and sensory input packed into such a small bit of time.)
Old 09-27-2024, 02:15 PM

Wouldn't want to get your hands caught in this! Squeezed in a ride on wet roads between rainy days.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20240927_151102_Gallery.jpg (148.7 KB, 182 views)
Old 09-27-2024, 03:22 PM
Vendor

Gosh, I know I live in a beautiful place (well, most of the time. I sometimes live in a very congested area of NJ) but the pictures you guys post from the less/undeveloped areas of California, Montana, Idaho, Colorado, and other such areas that seem to have huge swathes of unpopulated wilderness around every corner, those pictures leave me in a state of salivating awestruck envy. I rode and hiked in Alaska once and got a taste of it. Sublime!

VA is amazing for its road surface quality and varied terrain (mountains! hills! rollers! farms!) but the views always contain rural development, never unblemished wilds. That rural development is often full of really enjoyable details that make the ride a constantly developing montage of detail, but gosh, yeah...those pictures of the Alpine Loop a few posts up...awesome!

Tangentially, one of the best routes around these parts starts in Harrisonburg, VA and is also called the Alpine Loop (Fondo). Top notch ride of 100+ miles and 11,000+ feet, but it's so awesomely fun that the day goes by quick!
Old 09-27-2024, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Blubba View Post
Gosh, I know I live in a beautiful place (well, most of the time. I sometimes live in a very congested area of NJ) but the pictures you guys post from the less/undeveloped areas of California, Montana, Idaho, Colorado, and other such areas that seem to have huge swathes of unpopulated wilderness around every corner, those pictures leave me in a state of salivating awestruck envy. I rode and hiked in Alaska once and got a taste of it. Sublime!

VA is amazing for its road surface quality and varied terrain (mountains! hills! rollers! farms!) but the views always contain rural development, never unblemished wilds. That rural development is often full of really enjoyable details that make the ride a constantly developing montage of detail, but gosh, yeah...those pictures of the Alpine Loop a few posts up...awesome!

Tangentially, one of the best routes around these parts starts in Harrisonburg, VA and is also called the Alpine Loop (Fondo). Top notch ride of 100+ miles and 11,000+ feet, but it's so awesomely fun that the day goes by quick!
I draw strength from knowing that there are so many different kinds of beautiful in so many places across this globe.

(This particular "Alpine Loop" is here in Utah--come on out for a visit and we'll ride it together! We were in VA for years (I have family in Flint Hill), and I miss the dense foliage, the beautiful countryside (I don't miss the traffic). Still grateful every day, though, to be able to escape into the mountains from my doorstep.)
Old 09-27-2024, 05:30 PM

These are from yesterday's ride around the valley testing out a new P&S digital camera. Took out Bob Fourney's old bike yesterday as it tends to get lost in the shuffle with the other bikes. Not sure why as it's so nice to ride each time I get on it.

The bike, built by Wayne Evans of Denver for Bob Fourney to ride in a mid 90's Paris-Brest Paris. Columbus EL-OS that I upgraded with Dura-Ace 9 speed and those wheels.

Scrub oaks are in full color but the Aspens having shot off yet.

Close up of the old Cabin as you enter Huntsville

Nice color by Pineview Reservoir

Zooming in the canyon from Cememtery Point. The main road to town actually snakes through that canyon.

The water was so calm that morning.

The barn on Two Rivers Ranch

Display at the Pumpkin Patch.

Middle Inlet area is now closed to cars so I can bike up there and have it all to myself. YES!!!!

Final shot of the bike. One of these days's I'll put some proper compact handlebars on this to fix that weird setup. Easy to do with that open face quill stem.
Old 09-27-2024, 06:49 PM
Post Mod-ern

And this would be . . .

. . . where, pray tell?

BBD

[QUOTE=jamesdak;3427187]These are from yesterday's ride around the valley testing out a new P&S digital camera. Took out Bob Fourney's old bike yesterday as it tends to get lost in the shuffle with the other bikes. Not sure why as it's so nice to ride each time I get on it.

The bike, built by Wayne Evans of Denver for Bob Fourney to ride in a mid 90's Paris-Brest Paris. Columbus EL-OS that I upgraded with Dura-Ace 9 speed and those wheels.

Scrub oaks are in full color but the Aspens having shot off yet.

Close up of the old Cabin as you enter Huntsville

Nice color by Pineview Reservoir

Zooming in the canyon from Cememtery Point. The main road to town actually snakes through that canyon.

The water was so calm that morning.

The barn on Two Rivers Ranch

Display at the Pumpkin Patch.

Middle Inlet area is now closed to cars so I can bike up there and have it all to myself. YES!!!!

Final shot of the bike. One of these days's I'll put some proper compact handlebars on this to fix that weird setup. Easy to do with that open face quill stem.
A thing of beauty is a joy forever--Keats
Old 09-27-2024, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleBeeDave View Post
. . . where, pray tell?
Northern Utah.