Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-30-2024, 07:41 AM

The journey to this bike began about a year ago, when I resuscitated my Indy Fab, which I just didn't ride all that much. But I cleaned off the cobwebs and enjoyed the experience. This past winter I had the idea to update that bike from Shimano DA 9000 (which went onto another bike) with GRX 1x11 (now I wish I had gotten the 1x12......) and get some new wheels.

I ordered some Boyd CCC aluminum wheels and the groupset and liked the result, but I was still ready for more change.

Specialized announced the Crux DSW and the price seemed 'reasonable' so I ordered one and built it up over the past month or so. This is the result. I've had it out on a few local trail rides here in Chicagoland and I'll be taking it to Michigan this weekend for a real gravel initiation. So far, so good.

This is why my Indy Fab was sold. Obligatory garage door pics.

Old 08-30-2024, 07:48 AM
Administrator

Nice on saab. I like the subtle color scheme and the minimalist Spec graphics.

I'm glad there are still aluminum options out there, it's a great material for a frame to keep the weight, corrosion and cost down.

I can't say for sure, but I would speculate with wide tires at the right pressures, the rider could not tell the difference between the carbon and aluminum model.

Enjoy your Mich trip!
Old 08-30-2024, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
Nice on saab. I like the subtle color scheme and the minimalist Spec graphics.

I'm glad there are still aluminum options out there, it's a great material for a frame to keep the weight, corrosion and cost down.

I can't say for sure, but I would speculate with wide tires at the right pressures, the rider could not tell the difference between the carbon and aluminum model.

Enjoy your Mich trip!
I run these Continental Terra Speed tires in the mid 30s and to me there’s no negative. The frame material is immaterial to me here. I wouldn’t be faster or happier with the far more expensive carbon Crux. Frame was $1700 + the Boyd wheels + the 1x11 groupset on close out and the other things which I already owned. Investment here wasn’t nothing but not a budget buster either.
Old 08-30-2024, 07:53 AM
Two wheels good

Nice looking bike. I've thought about one myself and there is a good chance I'll end up with one. Those welds are a bit inelegant, but hey, that's part of the deal.
Old 08-30-2024, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avalonracing View Post
Nice looking bike. I've thought about one myself and there is a good chance I'll end up with one. Those welds are a bit inelegant, but hey, that's part of the deal.
I think the welds look worse in pictures than in person. I don’t pay much attention to them honestly.

The one thing that is not a positive is that since I’m running 1x here there’s a hole for a Di2 front derailleur. The bike came with some plastic plugs and fittings. None fit this hole. And there’s a hole behind the bottom bracket and the only logical plug for that hole fits loosely. Overall the attention to detail on this bike is pretty good but those two places are a miss.
Old 08-30-2024, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
I think the welds look worse in pictures than in person. I don’t pay much attention to them honestly.

The one thing that is not a positive is that since I’m running 1x here there’s a hole for a Di2 front derailleur. The bike came with some plastic plugs and fittings. None fit this hole. And there’s a hole behind the bottom bracket and the only logical plug for that hole fits loosely. Overall the attention to detail on this bike is pretty good but those two places are a miss.
Curious whether contacting Specialized (or the dealer you picked it up through, assuming you did that) would get better pieces.

More than academic curiosity on my part, I have one on order.
Old 08-30-2024, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gone View Post
Curious whether contacting Specialized (or the dealer you picked it up through, assuming you did that) would get better pieces.

More than academic curiosity on my part, I have one on order.
Good question. I ordered it directly from Specialized and picked it up locally. The store in question didn’t seem too bothered by anything but they didn’t do anything but store the bike box until I picked it up. I wonder if they get any compensation from Specialized.

As to the plugs and small pieces, it does come with a little bag of things, some of which look like they are for the holes in question but I don’t seem to be able to fit them. Strange.
Old 08-30-2024, 09:05 AM

its cool for sure, but why ditch the indy fab? still dont get the metal for metal exchange. what are your ride impressions? lighter/snappier?
i for sure lust over carbon crux, i am sure this is great too.
Old 08-30-2024, 09:18 AM

Bike looks great Saab. I think the main point is that alloy is back, not that it ever left. Of course Spesh are going to charge a premium, because they can. I'm sure Giant will make something similar in their Aluuxx or whatever soon.

I've got an S-Works Crux and recently picked up an older Allez DSW frame (NOS) for a song. It was sold as the metal Tarmac back in the day, and will be a cheap rim-brake roadie/dirty winter bike. Hoping my kid grows into this size too.
Old 08-30-2024, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skouri1 View Post
its cool for sure, but why ditch the indy fab? still dont get the metal for metal exchange. what are your ride impressions? lighter/snappier?
i for sure lust over carbon crux, i am sure this is great too.
I wanted a change first and foremost. Second, I have a bike reduction strategy and wanted to try the Crux because I may also move my aluminum Zanconato. I wanted one bike that would replace both the IF and the Zanconato.

Initial ride impressions are very good. Handling is excellent, which was something I didn’t care for as much on the IF. Just did a quick spin with these Continental Terra Speed tires and my impression is that it’s going to be very nice.

This may well be my only gravel bike going forward.

The Zanconato is electronic-only and I don’t know that’s the direction I want to go.
Old 08-30-2024, 10:24 AM
Back At It!

great looking bike Saab!! I wish the geo worked for me on a Crux, but not at this point in my life (or maybe ever )
Old 08-31-2024, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post

I just took mine out for its first real ride and thought it was great. I used to have the carbon version and the DSW feels about the same but heavier.

The build is definitely harder. The carbon frame just has more room inside. I figured out where everything went (I think). I actually found things fit very tightly. I've had great luck with customer service, so you might want to send them an email.
Old 08-31-2024, 11:05 PM

finished my build today. i had most of the parts laying around so it was a no brainer. i love the metallic spruce or whatever it's called but i wish the whole frame were that color. although the cream color does go nicely with the spruce. i mainly hate the dumb stripes on the seat tube. stem is redacted because it was given to me by a friend who doesnt want it pictured on the internet.

i rode it in golden gate park and it shreds! it's so fast and feels very similar to the open wi.de i had but a little racier. it's very snappy and light and feels essentially like a carbon bike to me. it would be blisteringly fast with some carbon wheels. gonna do longer ride tomorrow.

dsw by moda1destroyed, on Flickr
by moda1destroyed, on Flickr
Old 09-01-2024, 05:27 AM

That’s a really nice build. One day I will try Sram components.
Old 09-01-2024, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamhell View Post
finished my build today. i had most of the parts laying around so it was a no brainer. i love the metallic spruce or whatever it's called but i wish the whole frame were that color. although the cream color does go nicely with the spruce. i mainly hate the dumb stripes on the seat tube. stem is redacted because it was given to me by a friend who doesnt want it pictured on the internet.

i rode it in golden gate park and it shreds! it's so fast and feels very similar to the open wi.de i had but a little racier. it's very snappy and light and feels essentially like a carbon bike to me. it would be blisteringly fast with some carbon wheels. gonna do longer ride tomorrow.

dsw by moda1destroyed, on Flickr
by moda1destroyed, on Flickr
Looks great. That crankset adds just the right amount of bling.