Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-21-2022, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalheart View Post
Which paddle did you get? I'm shopping for one.

I've transitioned from being a sometimes fourth for my wife's group and borrowing a paddle to taking lessons and playing with other folks. I enjoy the game and social part of PB and I'm sore in places I have not been in a long time, so it's working for me as a fun activity.
Paddletex has 3 general series of paddles, the Bantam, the Tempest and the Phoenix. Within each series are various models. All of these models can come in different colors.

The Bantam series is about power, the Tempest about control and touch and the Phenix series are designed to be forgiving. I got the Tempest Wave II. When I've played either ping pong or tennis, my style was to focus on ball placement with the hope that would get my opponent out of position and as a result weakly return the ball high enough for a power stroke. My wife chose a paddle from the Phoenix series that are designed as an in between power and control.
Old 11-21-2022, 09:52 PM

I've been playing with a Tempest Reign Pro for about 3 months now, long ago tennis player with a power and placement game.

I started playing during summer as a replacement for road riding and rehab from a couple of serious crashes. More social and less hard core roadie attitude types.
Old 11-22-2022, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Fattic View Post
Paddletex has 3 general series of paddles, the Bantam, the Tempest and the Phoenix. Within each series are various models. All of these models can come in different colors.

The Bantam series is about power, the Tempest about control and touch and the Phenix series are designed to be forgiving. I got the Tempest Wave II. When I've played either ping pong or tennis, my style was to focus on ball placement with the hope that would get my opponent out of position and as a result weakly return the ball high enough for a power stroke. My wife chose a paddle from the Phoenix series that are designed as an in between power and control.
Great info!

Back in the day when I played a **** ton of pong, I was primarily a defensive player who relied on topspin and agility. My technique was to goad my opponent into making ill-advised power plays. Seems like the TW II would be the racket for me as well.
Old 11-26-2022, 04:24 AM

Well, I just read that the Fenix 7 watches have pickleball mode ("activity profile"), so I guess pickleball has officially arrived.

The 7 also has a new horseback riding mode.
Old 08-19-2023, 09:53 PM

A small local park that had one pickleball court now has three. And all three always seem to be occupied.

Another park has long lines on weekends for people waiting their turn for a pickleball court.

I tried watching pickleball, but it's very boring. I don't think it has a future as a spectator sport.

Last edited by fiamme red; 08-19-2023 at 09:55 PM.
Old 08-19-2023, 10:01 PM

I just played pickle ball for first time tonight with some old friends. What a great social sport. 4 of us at all different levels of athleticism able to do something together. I don’t like socializing but this was a blast. Few families with young kids playing, teens playing, senior playing…at least for the moment if I have choice of biking or pickle ball, I’m still picking the bike
Old 08-20-2023, 07:09 AM
Proud Grandpa

In Denver, some locals are complaining about the noise..I guess the ball hitting the rackets can be loud(don't know, ever seen anybody playing it).
BUT, not long ago 3 or 4 of us would play table tennis..and egads, that got VERY aggressive, very loud, very serious, very fast. You see some 'families' knocking the ball back in forth, on the news..very smiley and nice..'isn't this fun?'..BUT, I'd guess, it can get aggressive, fast, loud....serious, really fast.
Old 08-20-2023, 08:17 AM

I started playing pickleball last fall and played throughout the winter in the local high school dome. The Dome is a multi sport facility that has 8-10 courts for pickleball or tennis during the winter and summer. This past winter the courts were full every day the dome was open with reservations required to secure a court for play. As soon was the weather permitted -- for some here that was anything above freezing -- folks transitioned to playing at a park where the local pickleball group organized to construct 8 dedicated pickleball courts. From 6am to about noon those courts have been busy all summer, often with wait times to get on a court to play. The local YMCA is just finishing a new add-on facility that has 4 dedicated pickleball courts. In this relatively small area of Northern Wisconsin adjacent communities have pickleball clubs with dedicated pickleball courts. Pickleball is definitely popular and attracts lots of folks to play creating significant demand for facilities.

The pickleball crowd here reflects local demographics, predominantly retirees anywhere from 50-80+ with a smattering of younger people to liven games up. There are a variety of skill levels, but better players make for fast games requiring good hand-eye coordination, fast hands, quick reaction time, and enough mobility to cover the ball. It can also be deadly slow with some players. It seems to bring together a wide range of people who have a good time with "rec" play and if you want intense competition it is there.

One thing about pickleball is the low overhead to enter the game: you need a paddle and a ball. That means it is accessible to people with a wide range of incomes. A paddle can cost you anywhere from $25-$350 depending. A three pack of balls is ~$10. Paddle technology is evolving and one can quickly go down a rabbit hole of pickleball paddle raw carbon fiber thermoforming technology. Fortunately there are some excellent paddle choices in $90-$150 range that will keep most folks happy when you first start playing.

Noise. It is obnoxious. I would not want to live adjacent to the pickleball courts where I play in the non-winter months. There are stories from around the country about conflicts over pickleball noise. There is some effort to change paddle and ball technology to minimize the sound of the ball hitting the paddle, but pickleball folks seem to be especially vocal, adding to local complaints about noise. It is an issue and the conversion of mall spaces into commercial pickleball courts is one piece of the puzzle to address the noise issue.

One thing I learned for myself this past winter is that pickleball is not enough exercise for me to make any difference in conditioning. This past winter on some days I played 2-3 hours in the morning and then again for a couple of hour in the evening. I seldom broke a sweat, but still came home just tired enough that I did not get on the trainer. This time of year on cool mornings I play then go for a ride afterwards. Bottom line is that it is just not aerobic at the level that folks here play and for me that has its own problems, but at the same time the social part of the game and the competition is addicting.

The Dome:
Old 08-20-2023, 12:26 PM

Are those Wisconsin trees already turning Fall colors?
Old 08-20-2023, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
In Denver, some locals are complaining about the noise..I guess the ball hitting the rackets can be loud(don't know, ever seen anybody playing it).
Yeah, it's pretty loud.
Old 08-20-2023, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Google "pickleball noise" and you'll get loads of complaints about it. It seems the rather shrill "Thwack!" of the plastic ball and racket is not only at a pitch that can be annoying, it carries well.

https://www.npr.org/2023/06/09/11812...urts-bats-play

Around Arlington Va, there are a lot of battles being fought over not only the noise, but the court usage with tennis people very upset that PB'ers are using their courts. Their complaint? It took years of lobbying to get tennis courts built, so let the PB'ers do the same and wait.

Like you, I've never seen it played anywhere except in a gym, behind glass walls soundproofed for aerobics classes.
Old 08-20-2023, 04:07 PM

Is pickleball the electronic shifting (or e-bike?) of racquet sports?…

I reckon it is… the learning curve is so fast to get to “enjoyment” compared to other varieties, and there is relatively less athleticism and coordination required to get going, it fits well with short attention spans and “easy” mode. It also uses space very efficiently, like basketball, but less physical contact, so you’ve the perfect combo of mass appeal and relative low cost for the masses to enjoy. Oh well. I’m just sad that all the tennis courts are getting bastardized with confusing lines, and it’s harder to get a court nowadays.
Old 08-20-2023, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
Are those Wisconsin trees already turning Fall colors?
Not too far north trees are turning. Here around Rhinelander there are a few trees showing color, but most of that is from the stress of less than normal rain. Nonetheless, we expect and early fall. The pic of the dome is not recent but it shows early fall color.
Old 08-20-2023, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalheart View Post
I started playing pickleball last fall and played throughout the winter in the local high school dome. The Dome is a multi sport facility that has 8-10 courts for pickleball or tennis during the winter and summer. This past winter the courts were full every day the dome was open with reservations required to secure a court for play. As soon was the weather permitted -- for some here that was anything above freezing -- folks transitioned to playing at a park where the local pickleball group organized to construct 8 dedicated pickleball courts. From 6am to about noon those courts have been busy all summer, often with wait times to get on a court to play. The local YMCA is just finishing a new add-on facility that has 4 dedicated pickleball courts. In this relatively small area of Northern Wisconsin adjacent communities have pickleball clubs with dedicated pickleball courts. Pickleball is definitely popular and attracts lots of folks to play creating significant demand for facilities.

The pickleball crowd here reflects local demographics, predominantly retirees anywhere from 50-80+ with a smattering of younger people to liven games up. There are a variety of skill levels, but better players make for fast games requiring good hand-eye coordination, fast hands, quick reaction time, and enough mobility to cover the ball. It can also be deadly slow with some players. It seems to bring together a wide range of people who have a good time with "rec" play and if you want intense competition it is there.

One thing about pickleball is the low overhead to enter the game: you need a paddle and a ball. That means it is accessible to people with a wide range of incomes. A paddle can cost you anywhere from $25-$350 depending. A three pack of balls is ~$10. Paddle technology is evolving and one can quickly go down a rabbit hole of pickleball paddle raw carbon fiber thermoforming technology. Fortunately there are some excellent paddle choices in $90-$150 range that will keep most folks happy when you first start playing.

Noise. It is obnoxious. I would not want to live adjacent to the pickleball courts where I play in the non-winter months. There are stories from around the country about conflicts over pickleball noise. There is some effort to change paddle and ball technology to minimize the sound of the ball hitting the paddle, but pickleball folks seem to be especially vocal, adding to local complaints about noise. It is an issue and the conversion of mall spaces into commercial pickleball courts is one piece of the puzzle to address the noise issue.

One thing I learned for myself this past winter is that pickleball is not enough exercise for me to make any difference in conditioning. This past winter on some days I played 2-3 hours in the morning and then again for a couple of hour in the evening. I seldom broke a sweat, but still came home just tired enough that I did not get on the trainer. This time of year on cool mornings I play then go for a ride afterwards. Bottom line is that it is just not aerobic at the level that folks here play and for me that has its own problems, but at the same time the social part of the game and the competition is addicting.

The Dome:
Great feedback and insight. Very edifying.

To (hopefully accurately) summarize your post. The “cons”: (1) noisy (2) the game is sprouting like weeds and taking over every organism in its path (3) not really a vigorous workout.

Numbers one and two are obviously problems. I’m not sure what the solution is. City planners will have to address this issue, as it seems like it’s becoming increasingly problematic. Number three is really a non-issue. The OP above, similar to many of us, is fortunate enough to enjoy a sport that rewards vigorous effort. That’s a privileged position. Not many people are lucky enough to have that outlet.

Which leads me to the “pros”: anyone of any level of fitness or athletic ability can play. And income isn’t a prohibiting factor. For the win.
Old 08-20-2023, 07:28 PM

I'd say that it can be a fine workout for people who are typically pretty static but isn't going to be great for people who are used to vigorous exercise. Its great virtue, as someone noted above, is that it's a wonderfully social experience that lends itself to relatively fun gameplay for people across different skill levels. That said, I'm not a huge fan—at least so far—but that's because I'd rather be playing squash, tennis, or ping-pong (in that order). But it's definitely fun, and I can see the appeal.

I tend to think that just about anything that gets people moving their bodies outdoors is better than nothing, and pickleball is WAY better than nothing.

Last edited by username; 08-21-2023 at 10:44 AM.