Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-07-2024, 12:05 PM
Vendor

I'm finally back from injury (although now down with a nasty cold/virus/whoknowswhat) and have ridden this bike 4 more times, on courses ranging from Very Hilly to Pure Mountain. It's a blast everywhere, especially going fast on twisty downhills. It has all the nimbleness of a lightweight carbon race bike like the TCR, plus the planted confidence of steel.
I would recommend this to anyone looking for an exciting, peppy, go-fast road bike.
It's not THE fastest option out there, but it's plenty fast and feels really good in all situations. Everything I was hoping for and then some. My Dura Ace build weighs in at 18# on the nose, including pedals, cages, and mounts. Feels identical weight-wise to most 14, 15, 16# bikes I've owned.

In fact...it's so good that later this year I might upgrade the already excellent Dura Ace C24 wheels to something even nicer.

One last update before I stop raving for the day:

Rarely have I ever had a bike that calls to me so when I see it sitting idly in the bike room. "Riiiide me...Riiiiiiide me! Let's gooooo! Stop doing Perler Bead projects and let's riiiide!"

Last edited by Baron Blubba; 01-07-2024 at 01:56 PM.
Old 01-08-2024, 11:19 AM

Glad your on the mend & hopefully fully recovered soon

Bike Sounds great!
Old 06-13-2024, 06:33 PM

I just bought a 55 Road logic....I'm 5'9" with some weird proportions but have been on 56 top tube bikes for 25 years. My current bike, a Spooky Skeletor has an 80mm stem and a seatpost with lots of setback...master fitter approved. It seems to be fine
https://forums.thepaceline.net/attac...1&d=1718321589
Attached Images
File Type: jpg unnamed (16).jpeg.jpg (117.5 KB, 481 views)
Old 06-13-2024, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoyacks View Post
I just bought a 55 Road logic....I'm 5'9" with some weird proportions but have been on 56 top tube bikes for 25 years. My current bike, a Spooky Skeletor has an 80mm stem and a seatpost with lots of setback...master fitter approved. It seems to be fine
Uh, did you post a picture of the wrong bike?
Old 06-13-2024, 10:11 PM
Sunshine

Quote:
3 posts in 11 years?. I bet you will figure out posting before this second decade ends.

Cool Spooky though.
Old 06-14-2024, 05:04 PM

I bought mine in January and equipped it with a Dura-ace 9000 group and DT Swiss wheels. The group is older but in great shape. Mine also comes in at 18 lbs. even.

I now have the fit dialed in and I like the bike a lot. I agree with the previous post about very stable handling and confident descents.

But as someone mentioned already. look at the geometry chart carefully before ordering. It took me awhile to dial in the fit. I normally ride a 56 top tube. My 55 Logic has an effective top tube of 56.3 so I shortened my stem from 110 to 100. But also note that Ritchey says not to have more than 30 mm of spacers beneath the stem. I learned that later and thus needed to flip my stem up and cut more off the steer tube. That was a bit of a surprise to me. Some other brands will allow up to 50 mm of spacers. In any event, its no big deal. I'm an older rider. I'm not racing anymore so I don't slam my stem like I once did. I usually position my bars no more than an inch below the seat. This bike certainly holds its own in spirited group rides but I am happy that I also have an Ottrott for those group rides that are faster.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg logic.jpg (148.5 KB, 334 views)
Old 06-14-2024, 05:49 PM

I love that red!
Old 06-15-2024, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
3 posts in 11 years?. I bet you will figure out posting before this second decade ends.

Cool Spooky though.
you guys are mean girls
Old 06-15-2024, 01:07 PM
aluminati

Quote:
you guys are mean girls
that's a good looking spooky
Old 06-15-2024, 01:55 PM

Perhaps my comments above sound like faint praise. That was not my intent. In fact, I should have said that after a few months with my Ritchey Logic I am incredibly impressed and my respect for and enjoyment of the bike grows with each ride. The Logic is a unique and exceptional bike. It achieves its designed purpose perfectly -- a rim brake true road bike with clearance for 30 mm tires, steel construction, exceptional quality, silky ride, and can easily be built to 18lbs. Buy the Logic if these are the qualities you are looking for in a bike.
Old 06-16-2024, 01:19 AM

I've been on a circa 2017 Ritchey Road Logic for 6 years, coming from a CAAD10. Not a racer so I didn't miss the stiffness of the CAAD and the compliant ride of the Ritchey was a welcome change. I always attributed some of its ride comfort to the carbon bars and saddle it came with, rather than its frame.

The Ritchey served me so well I was never compelled to switch to carbon, until I chanced upon an immaculate Look 585. On paper the 585 has very similar geometry to the Ritchey, which I get along with extremely well. The reputation of the 585 had me expecting a smoother ride than the Ritchey, without the weight penalty. I was rather disappointed after the first few rides with the 585; despite having a couple of pounds advantage over the Ritchey and wider Conti GPs, it was a more punishing ride than the Ritchey. Come to think of it, I have never had an uncomfortable ride with the Ritchey despite the mostly chip seal roads in my area. Even on gravel, the Ritchey is tuned such that road buzz is very dampened. For all the virtues of the 585, the Ritchey has a forgiveness that makes every ride enjoyable, and cannot be rivaled by the 585.

The only other bike that rides at nicely as my Ritchey is not too far removed. I have a mid 90s Concorde built of Tange Prestige, Tig welded. The Ritchey is basically a modernized frame of similar material.

I thought when I acquired the 585, it would be easy to move either the Ritchey or Concorde, I have come to realize they are both such amazing frames that I should not part with them unless absolutely necessary.
Old 06-16-2024, 09:24 AM

I’ve been thinking about buying a Road Logic from the late 90’s. Does it have a similar ride to what everyone is describing?
Old 06-16-2024, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdm View Post
I’ve been thinking about buying a Road Logic from the late 90’s. Does it have a similar ride to what everyone is describing?
On paper, the main differences are the steel fork and the tighter tire clearance (28mm vs 30mm). I used a Ritchey steel fork as an aftermarket replacement for a 1 inch carbon fork, and loved it, light and supple and a definite improvement over the Look HSC 3 it replaced. I have no issue with the Ritchey carbon fork on my 2018 Road Logic, but have thought about replacing it with the steel fork that I still have in a box, just because I liked it so much (alas not really feasible with the flared headtube). A 90s Logic would be a very cool bike with only subtle differences to a recent model. All Road Logics are essentially the same since 2018 when they tweaked it to accept slightly larger tires, just different colors.
Old 06-16-2024, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdm View Post
Any particular reason why you're going back that far? There are lots of recent rim brake ones that are priced very well.
Old 06-16-2024, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
Any particular reason why you're going back that far? There are lots of recent rim brake ones that are priced very well.
Only because there’s one near me in good condition for $900 that has the carbon and steel fork.