Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-27-2023, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elefantino View Post
Um, OK?
Based on other trends in the industry, I'd guess either they are shrinking to focus more on the boutique/custom side of the market (they no longer seem to list ready made bikes on their website) or they will be announcing batch-built Speedvagens made in Taiwan.
Old 09-27-2023, 06:16 AM

When I hear the word metamorphosis I immediately think of the “Goodbye Horses” scene from the first Silence of the Lambs.

I need help.
Old 09-27-2023, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Scorpio View Post
When I hear the word metamorphosis I immediately think of the “Goodbye Horses” scene from the first Silence of the Lambs.

I need help.
Oh we'd get along well!

"Would you have me? I'd have me." (that's the TV version... )
Old 09-27-2023, 12:22 PM

Their website says their phones are down as they transition to a new space.

So maybe they're just consolidating.

Wait, consolidating is a "C" word!!
Old 09-27-2023, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
Based on other trends in the industry, I'd guess either they are shrinking to focus more on the boutique/custom side of the market (they no longer seem to list ready made bikes on their website) or they will be announcing batch-built Speedvagens made in Taiwan.
I agree that this sounds plausible. I am no longer (or was never) in the position to commission a cost-is-no-object bike like this, as I am more keen on a builder saying this frame will cost $XXXX and if you want XXXXX, it will cost another $XXX or whatever.

It seems that for fully custom Speedvagens or Vanillas, you just state the dream, and wait for it to happen, then dont bother asking the price - just charge it. That said, I had a fully custom Vagen from the old days, so it was a time when Sacha told me explicitly what the cost would be and we agreed to it before he started it. More my style.

I wish I could buy a dream-big bike, but its no longer in the cards .
Old 09-27-2023, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_douglas View Post
...you just state the dream, and wait for it to happen, then dont bother asking the price - just charge it. ...
These are some Marin vibes

In any case, times are definitely changing, and I'm finding it critical to my mental health to just accept, rather than fight it. This sport is not even close to what it was when I started in the late 90s.
Old 09-27-2023, 03:31 PM
50 bpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by krooj View Post
These are some Marin vibes.
This used to be.
Old 09-27-2023, 03:34 PM

Quote:
That was awesome! Anything that starts off with peacock feathers and nude masseuses is a winner in my book!
Old 09-27-2023, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Contrary to my earlier comment, sometimes the more things change, the more they remain the same. To each their own, but the vibes in Marin have never been to my taste, and I lived in Santa Barbara for a number of years, so it's not just the money.
Old 09-27-2023, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krooj View Post
These are some Marin vibes

In any case, times are definitely changing, and I'm finding it critical to my mental health to just accept, rather than fight it. This sport is not even close to what it was when I started in the late 90s.

I began in the 80's and I struggle with the sport and the people in it these days...
Old 09-27-2023, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakatel_Luum View Post
I began in the 80's and I struggle with the sport and the people in it these days...
The sport is the same, and Americans are much more prosperous today. It's all good, nothing to struggle with.
Old 09-27-2023, 07:04 PM

Oh man, name me something that IS the same from the 80s/90s, heck any other decade.

Everything changes.

Just gotta look forward and enjoy the ride.
Old 09-27-2023, 07:06 PM

Quote:
The sport is the same, and Americans are much more prosperous today. It's all good, nothing to struggle with.
I kinda agree with you, but 'prosperity' is a relative term. I am Canadian, but I think most of the same principles apply the same way.

I have heard stories of cost-of-living today as a comparison of 60 years ago, and it seems that average people (like myself) are ignoring signs of reality and basking in 'prosperity'. Apparently the $200 dollars I spent on groceries yesterday was about $20 if purchased 60yrs ago - that is an order of magnitude higher, but I think (North) American spending habits have eclipsed a 10-fold increase!

I agree with you however - its nothing to struggle about. You either agree to buy a Speedvagen custom, or buy a Kona Rove and it will do exactly the same thing, just a bit slower. I went the middle route and bought a Rock Lobster - the 'poor man's dream bike'
Old 09-27-2023, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_douglas View Post
I kinda agree with you, but 'prosperity’s ' is a relative term. I am Canadian, but I think most of the same principles apply the same way.

I have heard stories of cost-of-living today as a comparison of 60 years ago, and it seems that average people (like myself) are ignoring signs of reality and basking in 'prosperity'. Apparently the $200 dollars I spent on groceries yesterday was about $20 if purchased 60yrs ago - that is an order of magnitude higher, but I think (North) American spending habits have eclipsed a 10-fold increase!

I agree with you however - its nothing to struggle about. You either agree to buy a Speedvagen custom, or buy a Kona Rove and it will do exactly the same thing, just a bit slower. I went the middle route and bought a Rock Lobster - the 'poor man's dream bike'
Americans spend a FAR lower share of their income on food than they did 60 years ago.
Old 09-28-2023, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Thank you, my mind is now set free.

Tags
conspicuous consumption, veblen goods