Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-04-2024, 07:17 AM

At this point in time, it is impossible to separate the “technical” experts from the marketing departments…They are one and the same. While it has always been beneficial for a rider who is interested in being more efficient, faster, etc. to educate himself on the science, there exists an incredible amount of information available with a very low signal to noise ratio. As a rider, you are completely on your own to square the latest information against your own personal experiences. Our bicycles are very highly evolved machines. Whenever the “science” indicates a solution that is any significant degree of measure different, I become quite skeptical.
Old 04-04-2024, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chaba View Post
At this point in time, it is impossible to separate the “technical” experts from the marketing departments…They are one and the same. While it has always been beneficial for a rider who is interested in being more efficient, faster, etc. to educate himself on the science, there exists an incredible amount of information available with a very low signal to noise ratio. As a rider, you are completely on your own to square the latest information against your own personal experiences. Our bicycles are very highly evolved machines. Whenever the “science” indicates a solution that is any significant degree of measure different, I become quite skeptical.
Yes, but we continue to learn. I'm running lower pressures in my 25mm tires than I used to, by quite a lot (70 psi down from 100 psi) and not going slower. It wasn't the "industry" that had me running tires at 100 psi, it was the collective knowledge and understanding of the cycling community.

I've been an engineer working in high performance buildings for 45 years. The fundamental physics that apply to buildings haven't changed, but our understanding has grown quite a lot. I like to have an open mind, understand the science behind a new advocated approach, test it if it sounds as though it may be a benefit, and adopt it if it is truly a benefit that exceeds the costs.

So these days my vintage Bob Jackson wear 32s on wider rims, and I like how it rides better. The Supersix wears light 25s but they're at 70 psi instead of 100 psi, on carbon rims. And the Bingham has 38s or 42s and cable disc brakes on carbon rims. Still all mechanical shifting. Adopt what works for you.
Old 04-04-2024, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudAwkning View Post
My experience is that size 41.5 shoes are the optimal shoe size.
Wide is better, therefore size 43 is better than size 41.5.

Instagram
Old 04-04-2024, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky33 View Post
Wide is better, therefore size 43 is better than size 41.5.
These are meaningless numbers without the inner and outer width of the foot.
Old 04-04-2024, 12:32 PM

If a fitter or someone told me that the 172.5 mm cranks that I've been riding for decades were 'all wrong' and that I needed to drop down to 165 mm, the research scientist in me would keep an open mind and give them a fair trial before I told him to go pound sand.....

Last edited by OtayBW; 04-04-2024 at 12:50 PM.
Old 04-04-2024, 01:19 PM

It is amazing you can even walk will all those years of wrong crank turning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtayBW View Post
If a fitter or someone told me that the 172.5 mm cranks that I've been riding for decades were 'all wrong' and that I needed to drop down to 165 mm, the research scientist in me would keep an open mind and give them a fair trial before I told him to go pound sand.....
Old 04-04-2024, 01:37 PM

Now that "we've" effectively muddied the waters wrt to tire width, we can look at handlebar width.

Just to be safe, I've taken the handlebars completely off my bike and am eagerly awaiting the expert opinion on fastest width before I resume cycling.
Old 04-04-2024, 01:48 PM

Handlebars over 38cm are for boomers, unless you are on gravel, than you need your bars to be at least 50 centimeters wide

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonrobot View Post
Now that "we've" effectively muddied the waters wrt to tire width, we can look at handlebar width.

Just to be safe, I've taken the handlebars completely off my bike and am eagerly awaiting the expert opinion on fastest width before I resume cycling.
Old 04-04-2024, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonrobot View Post

I'm smarter than you guys, since I have two engineering degrees. What I have done is cut my bars in half, and swap sides. That puts the levers right next to the stem, and it's incredibly fast.
Old 04-04-2024, 02:09 PM

I don't think I can make that work with my set up, Guess I need to sell my bike and start over

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
I'm smarter than you guys, since I have two engineering degrees. What I have done is cut my bars in half, and swap sides. That puts the levers right next to the stem, and it's incredibly fast.
Old 04-04-2024, 02:12 PM

I once had a man at a bicycle shop tell me that you had to have through axles for disc brakes. I guess he missed out on the couple decades of people not doing that.
Old 04-04-2024, 03:04 PM

4 seconds over 5.4 miles outdoors.. how did they keep the wind the same????
Old 04-04-2024, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martl View Post
I disagree that the average person should be "rare". About 85% of the general population is close enough to the "average person" for cures to work, and epecially so for body geometry etc.
But it seems that 85% of the cycling general public is somehow a member of the other 15%. don't we all like to feel special
martl, not your fault, but I think you misunderstood what Chris was saying. He might better have worded it differently, but he is right.

I worked also in healthcare, retiring in Sept. 2022, at 70 years old, as clinical manager of respiratory care and pulmonary diagnostics at Winchester Med. Ctr. after 30 plus years at WMC. I stuck in there for the pandemic with my office dead center of adult ICU, but retired when the pandemic was over. It's a whole 'nuther story about the nightmare of the pandemic spikes.

As you point out, around 85% of people are average. However, very few are the perfect average. At every anatomic and physiologic point (thousands) we are either average or not. For any person to hit the average at all points is rare. I knew a guy with 3 kidneys, another with a 3rd nipple, and I was told by an ophthalmologist that I have the retinas of an albino. All 3 of us are average but none are the perfect average due to these anamolies.

I think Chris means in prescribing as well as bicycle fit, it makes sense to start with the perfect average, but adjust accordingly.

Dave

Last edited by dcama5; 04-04-2024 at 05:06 PM.
Old 04-06-2024, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcama5 View Post
martl, not your fault, but I think you misunderstood what Chris was saying. He might better have worded it differently, but he is right.

I worked also in healthcare, retiring in Sept. 2022, at 70 years old, as clinical manager of respiratory care and pulmonary diagnostics at Winchester Med. Ctr. after 30 plus years at WMC. I stuck in there for the pandemic with my office dead center of adult ICU, but retired when the pandemic was over. It's a whole 'nuther story about the nightmare of the pandemic spikes.

As you point out, around 85% of people are average. However, very few are the perfect average. At every anatomic and physiologic point (thousands) we are either average or not. For any person to hit the average at all points is rare. I knew a guy with 3 kidneys, another with a 3rd nipple, and I was told by an ophthalmologist that I have the retinas of an albino. All 3 of us are average but none are the perfect average due to these anamolies.

I think Chris means in prescribing as well as bicycle fit, it makes sense to start with the perfect average, but adjust accordingly.

Dave
Yes. What he said.
Old 04-06-2024, 08:55 AM
Resident Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
These are meaningless numbers without the inner and outer width of the foot.
I'm starting to practice the art of foot binding. It's very aero.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Binding.jpg (66.8 KB, 52 views)