Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-30-2020, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortribs View Post
And here is my 1997 80-series that I've just picked up. Took awhile to find a clean, rust free example, but man is it good. 40th Anniversary, triple locked.
Lucky!!!
Old 05-30-2020, 05:06 PM

Late to the party but had to throw some pics in the mix - bought our first 80 series many moons ago and then went to the 100 series which is still going strong along with a GX 470

https://photos.app.goo.gl/p2uvyVRUnkw8zi4a9
Old 05-30-2020, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denvervig View Post
Late to the party but had to throw some pics in the mix - bought our first 80 series many moons ago and then went to the 100 series which is still going strong along with a GX 470

great shots of great trucks!!
Old 05-30-2020, 09:21 PM
DELETE ACCNT

grille on the 100 looks like maybe a 03+ with the upgraded dash?

nice Cruiser family there

Quote:
Originally Posted by denvervig View Post

Old 05-30-2020, 09:49 PM

2004 w/164k
Old 05-31-2020, 05:21 AM

ill just put it out there. if anyones got one of these to sell in good shape, i might be in the market. even the Lexus.
Old 05-31-2020, 09:29 PM

I started with a 1999 and then bought a 2006, which I still have (hasn't even hit middle age at 170k miles) and recently picked up a 2015. I always get the Lexus version because they cost the same used, and the service experience is much better. And I like the air suspension.

I thought about getting a new one but the pricing has gotten a bit absurd for an ancient truck, and that grille on the Lexus version.....yikes...looks like a Cylon from the 1980s Battlestar Galactica. So I went with the 2015 instead.

Best part for cycling is that the retarded 3rd row design means extra height, so I can put bikes in vertically if I remove the front tire. I can get a road or gravel bike in the back without folding the 2nd row seats. If I fold half the second row, I can get my MTBs in there.

Worst part is the mileage, but the extra money spent on fuel is offset by never paying for repairs. The dealer tried to sell me an extended warranty on the 2015....I started laughing, and then he started laughing and said "I know, but we have to ask".
Old 06-01-2020, 07:11 PM

Late to the party, I have a 100 series Landcruiser with the 4.2 turbo diesel 1HDFTE, I don't think you got this motor in the states. Very strong motor, robust as hell.

Have put new suspension in with ~2" lift, 33's, compressor, bar, wheel carrier, 140L long range tank and a bit of recovery gear.

Would like to put a locker in the rear and some proper sliders but just haven't got out enough over the last few years to warrant it.

Old 06-01-2020, 07:27 PM
DELETE ACCNT

I don't think we ever did. Maybe Canada got the 1HD 100 series.

I saw so many Cruisers in Australia. It was really cool to see so many nice 70's, 80's and 100s.
You're lucky you can get the diesel poverty packs there. If we had the option, a v8 poverty pack 80 or 100 would be perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy-moots View Post
Late to the party, I have a 100 series Landcruiser with the 4.2 turbo diesel 1HDFTE, I don't think you got this motor in the states. Very strong motor, robust as hell.

Have put new suspension in with ~2" lift, 33's, compressor, bar, wheel carrier, 140L long range tank and a bit of recovery gear.

Would like to put a locker in the rear and some proper sliders but just haven't got out enough over the last few years to warrant it.

Old 06-01-2020, 07:30 PM
Administrator

Serious question, no judgement, but curious:

have you ever, or ever been close to having that thing buried over the hood in water to where a snorkel might be necessary?
Old 06-01-2020, 07:41 PM
DELETE ACCNT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post

have you ever, or ever been close to having that thing buried over the hood in water to where a snorkel might be necessary?
Even in the California desert, they can be of use.
The depth of water needed to hydrolock an engine is not that deep. A car can hydrolock with a few inches of water. It's not just for water.

The Land Cruiser's air intake is designed to avoid water ingress, but at a certain point they are helpful, along with proper driving (bow wave).
Australia has water crossings that can get quite deep.

This is a reasonable explaination
https://www.motorbiscuit.com/how-dee...ith-a-snorkel/
Old 06-01-2020, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasadena View Post
I don't think we ever did. Maybe Canada got the 1HD 100 series.

I saw so many Cruisers in Australia. It was really cool to see so many nice 70's, 80's and 100s.
You're lucky you can get the diesel poverty packs there. If we had the option, a v8 poverty pack 80 or 100 would be perfect.
Yep Landcruisers are very popular here and highly regarded.

We have another model called the 105 series, which is a 100 series cab on a 80 series chassis. So it is live axle front and rear, but the thing is it came only with the 4.2L Diesel or a 4.5L straight 6 petrol.

For a long time people have slapped turbos on both those motors for increased performance (typically at expense of reliability and economy, or both) but as the price of those vehicles has come down enough, it's become economically feasible to convert to 1HDFTE.

Those cars are weapons - very strong motor combined with live axle. A pity you couldn't buy them like that from factory.

Last edited by jimoots; 06-01-2020 at 07:53 PM.
Old 06-01-2020, 07:52 PM

Quote:

Yes it happens here depending on time of year and where you might be travelling.

Like a lot of things with 4WDing, you don't need it often, but when you need it you need it. Snorkles and winches (and more generally, good recovery gear) are good examples of that.

Last edited by jimoots; 06-01-2020 at 07:56 PM.
Old 06-01-2020, 07:56 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy-moots View Post
Yes.

Like a lot of things with 4WDing, you don't need it often, but when you need it you need it.
awesome stuff.

what part of Aus are you in? I need to get over there one of these days. Man, i miss travelling more than anything right now.
Old 06-01-2020, 07:59 PM

Quote:
awesome stuff.

what part of Aus are you in? I need to get over there one of these days. Man, i miss travelling more than anything right now.
I'm in Adelaide - capital city of South Australia. One of the quieter places in Aus (1.3m residents), but we have amazing terrain for cycling and it's not bad for cars both on and off road either.

Very liveable and relaxed way of life.