Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-09-2024, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinomaster View Post
Avocet 30
I had a 20, but we can hang.
Old 08-09-2024, 05:38 AM

I wish they'd bring back the Avocet computers, in a wireless style-a simple, two button interface and a just as simple single readout display.

No one has yet asked for Serotta steel frames and forks? Where is your allegiance?

Bailey III handlebar tape. For those that don't remember or have never seen it, it was a rubber tape with a slightly convex profile. Incredible grip, especially when wet, and good cushioning. Wrapped per instructions, there was no need for an end tape.

Reynolds Ouzo forks. I don't even ride a carbon fork but the Reynolds had the most aesthetic curve and taper, to my eyes.

9 speed Shimano. I don't even need NINE speeds, but I'm tired of constantly finding existing parts unavailable and having to upgrade to 10, 11,...
Old 08-09-2024, 05:45 AM

Time Equipe Mag
GP4
Diagonal Mod 92
Cables
Elegance
Old 08-09-2024, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben View Post
I had a 20, but we can hang.
Rummaged through my old bike parts and found these. Started with the model 20 but don't appear to have saved that one.

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1362.jpg (84.8 KB, 296 views)
Old 08-09-2024, 06:45 AM
50 bpm

I have more sets of Speedplay X pedals (6) than I have bikes (5). I also have four new sets of cleats and plenty of replacement springs through our special buy. I would buy a set of Wahoo power pedals if they had the X series float, but 15 degrees just isn't enough. I spoke with Wahoo's rep over the weekend and he said widened float isn't in the cards. So, it's X for life.
Old 08-09-2024, 07:11 AM
Epic=No Smiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoosterCogset View Post
I have one of these stuffed somewhere in a closet. Is there any worthwhile resale market for these things?
I’ve never checked but I doubt it. You’d need to made some sort of adapter to make it work with thru-axles. If it had that, I could see people still wanting to use them for warming up before races since the are light and foldable. I used them to warm up for CX races and it was perfect for that.

That said, at the right price there is definitely a market of someone who wants a spare for parts.
Old 08-09-2024, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zennmotion View Post
Vittoria Pave CGs in 27mm, green stripe. Clincher or Tub version.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinomaster View Post
I have some all black ones for sale
I still have a few of the green stripe Pave 27mm as well, planning to keep although at present they are not on any of my bikes (I did use a set last winter). Very nice riding tires, I also made a belt of one I ran down to the cords. I plan to try some Corsa Control 30mm this winter but not sure how they'll compare.
Old 08-09-2024, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merckx View Post
Time Equipe Mag
GP4
Diagonal Mod 92
Cables
Elegance
I agree with everything on this list, especially the elegance. As noted in an earlier post, my list is nearly all encompassing for my favorite bits of equipment.It is easier to list my favorite items that remain in production….Veloflex tubulars, Wippermann Connex chains in 8/9/10 configurations, Elite Ciussi Inox bottle cages, Cinelli cork tape, and maybe a few others.
Old 08-09-2024, 08:11 AM

One think I'd forgotten, was gore low friction cable kits.

I know that Sram bought that business/IP from gore, but the sram red cables kits were never as nice. Last year (I think?) I bought a set of NOS cable kits but I think they degraded with time and gummed up with in a few hundred miles.
Old 08-09-2024, 08:46 AM

Regarding those Avocet computers, I once had one and it never worked properly. If I am nostalgic about old wired computers, it’d be the Cateye brand computers, which always worked extremely well for me.

But I now use a first gen Wahoo ELMNT Bolt and it can be configured to be minimalist in its display (I have speed, distance, elapsed time and time of day). I no longer pine for my old Cateyes.
Old 08-09-2024, 08:50 AM
Administrator

I know the Silca is available, and I use one on several bikes, but I miss lighter, more affordable frame pumps being available.

The former Topeak was a favorite.

Oh yea, and Geekhouse, wish they were still around too

Old 08-09-2024, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
How good was/is the altitude gain function? I haven't seen a bike computer, including the GPS enabled ones, come close to the Avocet 50's accuracy for this. I still have two (I believe) functional Avocet 50s but the mounts/wiring failed and I switched to Garmin Edge computers.
The altitude on the Sigma computer is determined using a barometric altimeter, and seems to give me roughly the same gain for a given route. It also usually agrees with riding companions using Garmins, etc. to within a few percent. I prefer the wireless, but they also make a similar wired model if that is your thing.
Old 08-09-2024, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
I know the Silca is available, and I use one on several bikes, but I miss lighter, more affordable frame pumps being available.

There’s always the new Rivendell frame pump if you can get past the silly name.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_0004.jpeg (19.5 KB, 236 views)
Old 08-09-2024, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post

I recently picked up a NOS Topeak frame pump like depicted off of eBay for $32 shipped. My good fortune.

I probably have replied to this thread before but will restate what a shame that the range of Vittoria tubulars is sadly lacking.
Old 08-09-2024, 09:41 AM

Road bike action magazine