Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-01-2024, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa63 View Post
What makes you say so conclusively that it was a male who beat a female in that match? The governing body, IBA, that declared her ineligible (without providing any specifics) is led by a Russian and was most recently funded by Gazprom, so I don't think they are exactly the beacon of integrity (not that IOC is either).

Is it not possible for one female to be much much stronger than another female? Would we be having the same conversation if it was two men in the same situation? She might have a genetic mutation that gives her an advantage; does that mean we start banning other athletes who are genetically gifted?
This is what I meant by nuance, and what makes this discussion so fraught. Does the presence of a “y” chromosome constitute “masculinity?” Or, at the very least, an unfair advantage? I don’t know. Apparently, the IBA thinks it does, and they barred her from competing.

I do think testosterone confers advantages when it comes to performing. The science is pretty strong on that.
Old 08-01-2024, 11:51 PM

I would look into the history of the IBA before taking what they have said at face value.

Testosterone is definitely an advantage, but we don't know what this athlete's levels were.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
Apparently, the IBA thinks it does, and they barred her from competing.

Last edited by fa63; 08-01-2024 at 11:58 PM.
Old 08-02-2024, 04:13 AM

Leading up this past week, we watched TV series, both Simone Biles Rising and Sprint on NETFLIX. It really helped understand the people behind the competition. The sprint characters are really something. My wife keeps scratching her head about why athletes who worry about grams of weight continue to wear heavy jewelry, and for the women, extremely long hair, while competing.
Old 08-02-2024, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouDeeter View Post
Leading up this past week, we watched TV series, both Simone Biles Rising and Sprint on NETFLIX. It really helped understand the people behind the competition. The sprint characters are really something. My wife keeps scratching her head about why athletes who worry about grams of weight continue to wear heavy jewelry, and for the women, extremely long hair, while competing.
I think the trend started with FloJo and has continued ever since. Winning is good, but winning in style is great

As for the boxer, if she is some form of XXY, then I feel sorry for her. I watched how international track destroyed Caster Semenya's career over this.

Last edited by verticaldoug; 08-02-2024 at 07:29 AM.
Old 08-02-2024, 08:19 AM
50 bpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouDeeter View Post
I thought her post-gold tweet was priceless.
Old 08-02-2024, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
Wut?

Entire nations have been banned (or not if they pay off the right people) because of doping.
This whole discussion is a comparison of US athletes.

Go look at USADA. There are two pages of sanctions for swimming athletes. About 50% of them seem to be warnings where they had a TUE for asthma inhalers but a new Asthma inhaler came out on the market that wasn't allowed. Seems like all the top swimmers are asthmatics just like cyclists. Hm..

But then you go look at cycling. 18 pages of lifetime bans and 4 years suspensions and repeat violations. Too many to even go look through.

So of course cycling gets suspicion.

The whole discussion was from trying to throw Katie Ledecky under the bus. She doesn't deserve that just cause some communist country doped people mostly before she's born. She's not from one of those countries. And those countries doped all their cyclists too! Does Jan Ulrich ring a bell?

And none of this compares to the way Pro Cycling, which has nothing to do with authoritarian regimes, continuing be run by dopers.
Old 08-02-2024, 08:36 AM

The solution is simple - three classes, two are DNA based and subject to established drug testing

XX = female = women's class

XY = male = men's class

Open = anyone who wants to with no drug tests of any kind. Have fun!

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/q-every...170049052.html

Last edited by Fat Cat; 08-02-2024 at 08:46 AM.
Old 08-02-2024, 09:31 AM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

As for swimmers who are asthmatic - one of the women collapsed getting out of the pool and had to be treated first, on the deck, and then in the changing area before being hospitalized for an attack while competing

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 08-02-2024, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
Olympics...doping...corruption...nationalism...geo politics?
Does he or doesn't he? Only his national anti-doping agency knows for sure.

https://www.sbnation.com/2024/8/1/24...lympics-doping
Old 08-02-2024, 11:31 AM

Badminton
Doubles >>>>>>>>> singles. OMG.

Table tennis
Singles >>>> doubles. Things have changed since I competed (at a much lower level, even when I was at the OTC in Lake Placid).
Men's singles - Not a fan of Sweden's Möregårdh, despite how much I loved the Swedish players back in my day.
Women's singles - Sun reaches the final, having won all of her matches 4-0. That's just crazytown.

Judo
I can't grok the scoring, but I like watching it. I would need to learn the rules to truly appreciate it. My mind has bits of freestyle and greco-roman wrestling in it, which is making it hard for me to understand judo. I understand three yellow cards (ushido?) for stalling leads to disqualification, but I rarely see it. But I'm not knowledgeable or trained like the referees. And yet, I thought that the actions by Georgia's Tushishvili were out of bounds, even to my untrained eye. He's been suspended pending further review, and will not be allowed to compete for the bronze medal.
https://sports.yahoo.com/georgia-jud...162103857.html

Men's triathlon
Another back in the day competition for me. Yee's calculated comeback was great.

Archery
I'm scared to ask how much those bows cost.

Last edited by reuben; 08-02-2024 at 11:54 AM.
Old 08-02-2024, 11:54 AM
what's a little rust?

Since I first watched archery a few Olympics ago, I've become a follower of the target shooting competitions (guns n' bows). Not just the skill and the nerves but the gear and the rituals of the competitors, it's all interesting.
Old 08-02-2024, 12:28 PM

Archery is not that expensive and/or is only as expensive as you want to make it, and it's really fun.

I did a couple rounds of lessons with my son during the pandemic as it is something we could do outside.

It's fun even without all the sights and balancers and stuff (bare bow). If you like watching it go try it.

Just don't let anyone tell you that you don't need finger protection because they're starting you on a light draw bow unless you want numbness in your finger for months.
Old 08-02-2024, 01:02 PM

I'll just leave this here....

to stir up the debate
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 453539761_10232370967240754_6575819405254599903_n.jpg (63.8 KB, 137 views)
Old 08-02-2024, 02:26 PM

Compared to target pistols, rifles, and shotguns the full race target bows and kit are beer money.
Olympic level shotguns start at $10K+ . $20K is pretty easy to reach FWIW. Associated costs amount to astronomical levels for anyone not on a national team.

Last edited by Fat Cat; 08-02-2024 at 02:32 PM.
Old 08-02-2024, 02:33 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Cat View Post
Olympic level shotguns start at $10K+ . $20K is pretty easy to reach FWIW. .
That sounds pretty well in line with Olympic/Pro Peloton level bikes, especially if you add in the shoes/kit/power meter, etc