Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-25-2021, 08:53 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

It's so nice to see all these rescue adoptions.
Old 05-25-2021, 09:58 PM

Hunter

Came to me through Labrador Retriever Rescue of Florida
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hunter 13.jpg (98.0 KB, 262 views)
Old 05-25-2021, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben View Post
Lots of good lookin' dogs here.

Shadow was a good dog.

Shadow, and you, deserved better. Keep the good memories alive and post her often.
Old 05-25-2021, 11:55 PM
Administrator

June, another rescue that has joined our family. She's great with people and other dogs. Cats not so much, squirrels and rabbits beware. She can't jump high enough for the crows...but she tries.

W.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg June copy.jpg (87.5 KB, 249 views)
Old 05-26-2021, 12:51 AM
v a n i l l a

Happy Vibes - Forum Dogs

Our 2yo pandemic rescue Belgian Groenendael: Arya Bark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-26-2021, 07:32 AM

This was one of the Greyhounds we fostered a few years ago before she was adopted out. Such fantastic loving dogs. I -think- she was from one of the Florida tracks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170325_172227.jpg (71.6 KB, 212 views)
Old 05-26-2021, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldguy00 View Post
This was one of the Greyhounds we fostered a few years ago before she was adopted out. Such fantastic loving dogs. I -think- she was from one of the Florida tracks.
What a beauty - I've often suggested to my wife we do similarly, and she's always vetoed because she knows I'd never let the dog go...
Old 05-26-2021, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonconnell View Post
What a beauty - I've often suggested to my wife we do similarly, and she's always vetoed because she knows I'd never let the dog go...
My understanding is that it is getting much harder to get greyhounds now that the tracks are being shut down. I'm in Atlantic Canada, and for years and years the Greyhound adoption place here would get about 25 of them driven up from Florida or Alabama every 3 - 4 months, but they completely shut down a little over a year ago once the tracks closed, not enough dogs to go around.

I wonder with racing being reduced, if you'll now see more people breeding them specifically for pets.

And yes, most people end up being foster fails, lol. We came very close, and in hindsight I wish we had failed with a couple of them. We fostered 6 or 7 in total.
Old 05-26-2021, 07:58 AM

Happy Vibes - Forum Dogs

This is Lucky. He was a stray abuse victim that my daughter found in the neighborhood. Some vile human pile of trash had wrapped a rubber band so tightly around his mouth that he couldn’t eat or drink. It had cut into his jaw. When I realized that he was bleeding from his mouth, we took him to the animal hospital and he eventually wound up at the local animal shelter where we were able to adopt him from. It wound up all over the local news as county animal control wanted to prosecute the crime. One local reporter showed up at the shelter for “an exclusive interview” when we went to adopt him so that was awkward (I’m an introvert so I don’t come off as highly articulate when news cameras are pointed at me). Nearly 8 years later and he’s our constant companion, never leaves our side. Most days he can be found at work with me, sleeping next to me on my desk. All he wants is treats, attention from everyone in the room, and sleep. Best dog ever.

Last edited by B4_Ford; 05-26-2021 at 08:14 AM.
Old 05-26-2021, 08:04 AM

Quote:
That's my wife. We have fostered a few dogs for our local shelter and my wife wanted each one of them. She still talks about Norm (a feisty 12 pounder who loved convertibles and would go after dogs 10 times his size) and Flaquita (a Jamaican rescue who counter-surfed a pork roast).
Old 05-26-2021, 09:17 AM
Shifty Member

A little late to the party, but here is my rescue pup, Sallie. We've had her over 11 years and she's about 13 or 14 years old at this point. Her face used to be all black but now it's a mix of black and grey.

She's lost most of her hearing over the last fall, but the good thing is that we used a lot of hand signals and started teaching her new ones. Like the new signal for a walk is moving our arms up and down like the aliens in Galaxy Quest. She still has plenty of moxie even though walks are down to about 1-2 miles a day from what used to be 6-8 miles a day.

Actually saw a coyote a couple nights ago while we were chilling outside with her on the front lawn and me on the front steps. The coyote came around the corner at full speed chasing down a rabbit and put on the brakes very quickly when it saw my dog who stood up and went into threat mode immediately. No barks or growls, but just confident and raised all of her fur so she looked huuuuge. Coyote turned tail and went back the way it came.

Old 05-26-2021, 09:44 AM

Quote:
If you maintain a strong will at the beginning, it's not too hard to not keep a foster. Of course, it helps if you already have your own dog(s) since you will be better able to let go. Plus, you can then just get another foster when yours is adopted and fall in love all over again.
Old 05-26-2021, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmurph View Post
That's my wife. We have fostered a few dogs for our local shelter and my wife wanted each one of them. She still talks about Norm (a feisty 12 pounder who loved convertibles and would go after dogs 10 times his size) and Flaquita (a Jamaican rescue who counter-surfed a pork roast).
We had a foster dog eat a bag of coffee beans, which earned him a trip to the vet to get his stomach pumped. The vet said it made the place smell like coffee and he get some amusement out of it.
Old 05-26-2021, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Rider View Post
We had a foster dog eat a bag of coffee beans, which earned him a trip to the vet to get his stomach pumped. The vet said it made the place smell like coffee and he get some amusement out of it.
My first black Lab, Abby, got the entire Thanksgiving turkey off the counter about an hour before people started showing up. It's not the same meal without the turkey.
Old 05-26-2021, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Rider View Post
If you maintain a strong will at the beginning, it's not too hard to not keep a foster. Of course, it helps if you already have your own dog(s) since you will be better able to let go. Plus, you can then just get another foster when yours is adopted and fall in love all over again.
You are stronger than me. Literally 24 hours after our foster came home I was smitten.

When the shelter called a month or so later saying: 'Hey Jake, we're gonna put photos on the website, so I just wanted to let you know we may be contacting you about potential adopters', I said: 'it's okay, I have my card details ready. I will adopt him right now'

Admittedly we wanted a second dog to keep our first company anyway. The first has terrible separation anxiety but have another doggo around has meant we can leave them alone, where we couldn't previously, despite working on it with him for over a year.