Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 09-26-2019, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeatnik View Post
Mexican food in a former Taco Bell is so meta. What else is good at La Mission?

And isn't it always pozole weather in the Yay Area?
It was 90 degrees on Tuesday. It's our three weeks of summer before the rain returns.

Their fish tacos are solid but not what I think anyone in LA or San Diego would say are life changing. Their enchiladas are also excellent.
Old 09-26-2019, 03:29 PM
mentholated

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottcw2 View Post
Strange days, indeed.
Old 09-26-2019, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTHBROOKS View Post
make sure the papas fritas in your san diego burrito are fried with olestra!
The disaster pants tho

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 09-26-2019, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrider View Post
This thread is so weird
From body weight issues, to burrito spots in the bay area.. Slow times on Paceline.
Old 09-26-2019, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post

There is no rational world where Chris Froome (pictured) is seen as an exemplar of fitness or personifies a healthy body image. I would have the same opinion of extreme bodybuilders. They're both cartoons, and nothing for everyday people to aspire to.

Froome might not be an exemplar of a healthy body image but he is obviously strong where he needs to be. Everybody is different.

I graduated from high school at 6'2" and under 130 lbs. I ate a ridiculous amount of food but could not gain weight. My metabolism changed at around 36 years old. At 40 I was just under 160 lbs and in the best shape of my life. Road my bike, lifted weights 4 days a week, played tennis, skied and ate really healthy food. I was the strongest I have ever been, faster on the bike and was told every day by people that I was too skinny. I had so much energy I would leap out of bed in the morning.

We all have to work with our own bodies and not worry about others.

Jeff
Old 09-26-2019, 04:19 PM

I had oral surgery a week ago, so no carbonated beverages and only liquid or really soft food since then. No chewing where my implant was placed. Lost almost 4 lbs already.

I've been stuck at 139 most of the summer and now I'm at 135. Another pound and I'll be back to my 10 years ago weight. If I was a racer, at 5'-6", I'd probably weigh 127. That would really be skinny.

The best thing is my old jerseys fit me once again.

Last edited by Dave; 09-26-2019 at 06:11 PM.
Old 09-26-2019, 05:38 PM

The fact that so many people are chiming in with their weight/height is certainly a sign that we are keenly aware of the physical condition we keep ourselves in.

Many of you claim you don't know any cyclists with image issues - maybe they are afraid to share their feelings with you because you are in "better" shape than they are. Maybe they are afraid to share their feelings with you because they see you calling other cyclists (including members of this very forum) "fat." Maybe they are afraid to share their feelings with you because you make statements like "I make the decision to be skinny." These are all unhealthy behaviors in their own way. Negative body image can be a result of any of a million sources you may not be aware of - mental health is complex, and some of us have been struggling with this our entire lives.

Maybe some more sensitivity around this issue would be healthy for this forum. I have lost a ton of weight since getting into cycling, but many of the posts in this thread and attitudes of people I have met while participating in this activity have been very discouraging with regards to my own self image. And I know I am not alone in this.

Cycling is already such an exclusionary activity. Let's try to be more welcoming? And have open, honest conversations about feelings with your friends.

TLDR: body shaming is so weird.

Last edited by jtbadge; 09-26-2019 at 06:16 PM.
Old 09-26-2019, 06:28 PM
DELETE ACCNT

Don't know why people keep harping on Froome.
He's probably 70kg, and 75kg off season. Have you seen him in real life? He doesn't look like some cancer patient. He looks like a solid, carved athlete.

benb has said it- stay positive and just do you.
There is not a whole lot of negativity towards the avg cyclist here. Seems biased the other way.

Of course weight and fitness are relevant topics when discussing cycling.
There is a whole industry built on it, and training, etc.
Old 09-26-2019, 06:51 PM

James, that's a positive perspective but you're also a cat who will never be 5 pounds over his high school weight.
Old 09-26-2019, 06:55 PM

Sorry, but the long closed Pizza Heaven in Denver had the best burritos. I'd ride my Peugeot UO8 from Littleton to Denver, snarf a bean and beef burrito smoothered in Hatch pork green chilli stew, the turn laps in Wash Park. Oh, and I was 15, 6', 132lbs and ate everything in sight.

Today, I'm 55, 6' and 156. In my Army active duty days I was 190 and benched 220. Today, I never want to be that big again.
Old 09-26-2019, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeatnik View Post
James, that's a positive perspective but you're also a cat who will never be 5 pounds over his high school weight.
Sure. But I've been struggling with that notion in my head since I was in college.
Old 09-26-2019, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbadge View Post
The fact that so many people are chiming in with their weight/height is certainly a sign that we are keenly aware of the physical condition we keep ourselves in.

Many of you claim you don't know any cyclists with image issues - maybe they are afraid to share their feelings with you because you are in "better" shape than they are. Maybe they are afraid to share their feelings with you because they see you calling other cyclists (including members of this very forum) "fat." Maybe they are afraid to share their feelings with you because you make statements like "I make the decision to be skinny." These are all unhealthy behaviors in their own way. Negative body image can be a result of any of a million sources you may not be aware of - mental health is complex, and some of us have been struggling with this our entire lives.

Maybe some more sensitivity around this issue would be healthy for this forum. I have lost a ton of weight since getting into cycling, but many of the posts in this thread and attitudes of people I have met while participating in this activity have been very discouraging with regards to my own self image. And I know I am not alone in this.

Cycling is already such an exclusionary activity. Let's try to be more welcoming? And have open, honest conversations about feelings with your friends.

TLDR: body shaming is so weird.

x1000

Thanks for writing that
Old 09-26-2019, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbadge View Post
Sure. But I've been struggling with that notion in my head since I was in college.
J, welcome back.

Last edited by beeatnik; 09-27-2019 at 12:09 AM.
Old 09-26-2019, 07:42 PM
v a n i l l a

My wife can still fit her college jeans. Has arm and abdominal definition.
I on the other hand am 5'10 and 172#s and am too chubby to shave time off uphill.

There are no cookies in our house - ever. Occasionally chips and ice cream. But only occasionally. Pitfalls of marrying a nutrition major.

Still, we both drink beer.
Old 09-26-2019, 07:54 PM
mentholated

if ur not fluctuating between 20 lbs every 6 months to a year do u even rly suffer from multiple mental illnesses that u cope thru w drugs and food
Closed Thread