Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-14-2024, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erik$ View Post
The wife and I packed up our saddle bags and rode north east into the Dolomites, where we will be staying for a week. We are having Forno di Zoldo as base camp and will be doing a lot of the well known climbs and loops in the area. Today’s ride featured Passo Staulanza - Passo Giau - Passo Falzarego - Passo Staulanza. Picture from the top of Giau:

Awesome! I so miss riding in Italy (and Europe for that matter). When my wife and I did it we had to wait at the top for a classic car tour to pass through. That was a cold descent.

Old 08-14-2024, 08:13 PM

Whiteface Mountain

While visiting friends in the Keene Valley (NY) I grabbed a little time to ride Whiteface Mountain - the highest climb in NY State, something on the recommendation of many on this forum! I left from Whiteface Corners (?) in Wilimington a little later in the day so had to pay the $15 fee at the toll booth, but totally worth it to use this marvelous road (which is in superb condition…consider it my usage fee!). The ride was clear and cloudy until about 3000 feet/a little below the Lake Placid and Wilmington switchbacks/lookouts, and quite socked in at the summit as you can see. I did get a few breaks in the clouds here and there for views down to Lake Placid and the valleys/peaks around. Fabulous riding and my gratitude for those who suggested I bring a bike on this trip. I only wish I had more time to take folks up on their offer to ride in/around the area which looks amazing for biking - maybe next time! Highly, highly recommended.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 36164B29-77A4-435A-AF84-351114B8CF04.jpg (117.2 KB, 281 views)
Old 08-15-2024, 01:00 PM
Vendor

One good Ritchey picture deserves another. Been awhile since I contributed to this thread. Here are a few from today's ride. Sorry about Jose, he has a way of getting in the way of all the nicest scenery.
With the exception of a somewhat trafficky 4 mile climb toward the end of the ride, today's route (and weather!) was just about as perfect as it gets.

[IMG]Untitled by Michael Lock, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old 08-16-2024, 12:02 PM
Vendor

Bearly missed some Skyline Drive kom's on this ride, thanks to a big black bear and two little black bears, and it was well worth it! One of the cutest bear sightings I've ever sighted. Each of the cubs scrambled in different directions, leaving Mamma Bear confused for which way to go. She went left. I started riding away at the same moment that the little bear who went right decided to clamber over the wall to rejoin its family. Little bear got spooked, made an adorable sound, and hid behind the wall until I passed by. As I rode away, I saw Mamma Bear and Other Little Bear frolicking in the woods.
Old 08-16-2024, 12:14 PM

All these photos make me want to quit my job immediately and just go for a ride.
Old 08-16-2024, 03:36 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkle View Post
All these photos make me want to quit my job immediately and just go for a ride.
Well don't buy a cow because you want a glass of milk, but take a day and come ride with me! Here are some more.

The following are from a gravel ride earlier this week. A storm passed through and tore up a lot of the dirt roads, especially the ones on the mountainsides. Gashes and gullies and sand pits and big chunky stones all over the place. It was exciting, and a fortuitous day to be experimenting with lower tire pressures.

Mine Mountain/Woodstock Tower Road, Fort Valley.
Richardson Road, somewhere between Strasburg and Front Royal.
Heaven.
Seven Fountains Road, Fort Valley.
Seven Fountains Road, Fort Valley.
Old 08-16-2024, 03:37 PM

[QUOTE=Baron Blubba;3413360]One good Ritchey picture deserves another. Been awhile since I contributed to this thread. Here are a few from today's ride. Sorry about Jose, he has a way of getting in the way of all the nicest scenery.
With the exception of a somewhat trafficky 4 mile climb toward the end of the ride, today's route (and weather!) was just about as perfect as it gets.

Michael, hope you are having a good summer. My wife and I are riding but nothing long. I am 72 years old and sh*t starts happening. I had total hip replacement in March, 8 (yes, 8) rib fractures in April, and was just diagnosed with supra-ventricular tachycardia (SVT). Yikes. We are still riding though!

Hey, this picture looks like it was taken on the road over near Longbranch Plantation, but I cannot tell for sure - is that it?

Thanks for the pics.
Dave

Last edited by dcama5; 08-16-2024 at 03:51 PM.
Old 08-16-2024, 03:58 PM
Vendor

What the heck, I'm in a sharing mood, and I rode every road/gravel bike currently situated in my house this week.

Professor Plump is my least ridden bike, but also maybe my most happy bike.

Picked up this 1987 Bridgestone 550 for a song (a $200 dollar song) earlier this summer and have been riding it a ton, which is also approximately how much it weighs. The steep 42 x 26 low gearing is so steep that it forces me to go uphill fast, but the limited 52 x 14 high gearing compels me to relax on the the descents. It's a blast to ride because A) the colors make me really happy, B) it's got spiffy down-tube shifters which I very much enjoy interfacing with, C) it's a very different ride than all my other bikes, D) it was born the same year that I was, and E) it's a bike. And it's really good exercise to carry up and down the steps of my house and lift onto and off of my bike rack. Worth at least an extra tablespoon of peanutbutter.

Old 08-16-2024, 04:01 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcama5 View Post

Hey, this picture looks like it was taken on the road over near Longbranch Plantation, but I cannot tell for sure - is that it?

Thanks for the pics.
Dave
Dave, that picture was taken just outside Sperryville, either on Rudasill Mills Road or Fletcher Mills Road. You're speaking of Millwood/Redgate road, I think? Also a good one!

I knew about your hip replacement; I'm glad you're back to riding, that's great news.
Old 08-16-2024, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Blubba View Post
Dave, that picture was taken just outside Sperryville, either on Rudasill Mills Road or Fletcher Mills Road. You're speaking of Millwood/Redgate road, I think? Also a good one!

I knew about your hip replacement; I'm glad you're back to riding, that's great news.
Close - The pic near Longbranch would be have been taken from Nelson road which turns into Redgate after Longranch. It's crazy how close these views are to each other.

Dave
Old 08-16-2024, 06:27 PM
Vendor

Oh! I know exactly the view you're talking about, Dave! Yeah, that's a really great moment on Nelson!
Old 08-16-2024, 07:07 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

2 days, 2 rides, 2 times caught in the rain.

Old 08-17-2024, 06:37 AM

Cowboy/girl Crossing?

Cowboy/girl Crossing?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PXL_20240816_190809534.jpg (130.5 KB, 140 views)
Old 08-17-2024, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Blubba View Post
What the heck, I'm in a sharing mood, and I rode every road/gravel bike currently situated in my house this week.

Professor Plump is my least ridden bike, but also maybe my most happy bike.

Picked up this 1987 Bridgestone 550 for a song (a $200 dollar song) earlier this summer and have been riding it a ton, which is also approximately how much it weighs. The steep 42 x 26 low gearing is so steep that it forces me to go uphill fast, but the limited 52 x 14 high gearing compels me to relax on the the descents. It's a blast to ride because A) the colors make me really happy, B) it's got spiffy down-tube shifters which I very much enjoy interfacing with, C) it's a very different ride than all my other bikes, D) it was born the same year that I was, and E) it's a bike. And it's really good exercise to carry up and down the steps of my house and lift onto and off of my bike rack. Worth at least an extra tablespoon of peanutbutter.

Very cool Bridgestone! I bet that rides amazing. I picked up a 91 Bridgestone last year for about the same price and it’s also the same year I was born. Easily one of the best riding bikes I’ve owned—I don’t plan on ever selling it. Enjoy!
Old 08-17-2024, 03:27 PM

Saturday ride with my wife at Longbranch Plantation and around that area:

Longbranch is a sister plantation to Belle Grove, which is about 10 miles to the west on the Cedar Creek Battlefield. Both were slave-worked plantations before the civil war, but are historical sites today.

On the grounds at Longbranch:

Last edited by dcama5; 08-17-2024 at 03:42 PM.