Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-07-2022, 01:00 PM
Tired Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripvanrando View Post
I dial in new beans, getting the pressure, amount of grind and times are correct.

Then, I just use time of grinding and my eyeball for the amount. My timed grinds are within 1 gram of the new bean validations.

Would I get better results if I get a scale?
Maybe, maybe not. It depends on whether you want to experiment with your grind setting.

If you want to tinker, a scale will help you be more methodological, but it's not necessary based on what you describe. That said, scales are not expensive.
Old 01-07-2022, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbrwn View Post
That coffee sounds delightful.

I generally like Ethiopian coffee and especially gujis — But this one might be my all-time favorite. As a bonus EXO sponsors a cycling club that I’m a part of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-07-2022, 02:20 PM

Quote:
I dial in new beans, getting the pressure, amount of grind and times are correct.

Then, I just use time of grinding and my eyeball for the amount. My timed grinds are within 1 gram of the new bean validations.

Would I get better results if I get a scale?
The main benefit of scales is repeatability and consistency. Quantifying 'better' is difficult. But I know that if I try to eye-ball everything, I end up with a coffee I enjoy less.
Old 01-07-2022, 02:34 PM

Thanks.

I have been on a tea journey recently and am going back to my espresso. I just remembered, I do have a scale that reads to 0.01 gram. Sounds like a good snowy day batch of fun.
Old 01-07-2022, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Thanks.

I have been on a tea journey recently and am going back to my espresso. I just remembered, I do have a scale that reads to 0.01 gram. Sounds like a good snowy day batch of fun.

And either instant success or no sleep for 3 days!
Old 01-08-2022, 10:15 AM

Late to the game, but a few months ago I finally got the set up I've been wanting for a long time. I've since added a tamp mat and Acaia Lunar scale.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_1388.jpeg (44.3 KB, 178 views)
Old 01-08-2022, 11:24 AM

I’ve upgraded since the last time I posted on this thread. The Versalab and Trifecta are from 10 years ago. The rest is new. Oh yeah, been doing a ton of pour over as well…
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DC9364BF-1D5F-4B5C-9EA3-4C70768BDD10.jpg (77.1 KB, 179 views)
Old 01-08-2022, 07:03 PM

Nice! How’s the Monolith?
Old 01-08-2022, 07:53 PM
shimergo

Beautiful set up! How do you like the R Nine One? Really like the idea of being able to both manually pressure profile and automatic (based on preset or custom profiles). Must be a nice combo with the Monolith.
Old 01-08-2022, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobydrew View Post
Beautiful set up! How do you like the R Nine One? Really like the idea of being able to both manually pressure profile and automatic (based on preset or custom profiles). Must be a nice combo with the Monolith.
R Nine One is amazing! Took a bit to figure out their stupid programming/ software but their customer service is great. Much better then their pathetic owners manual. And yeah, it’s totally upped my espresso game 10 fold. I have to hold myself back from experimenting too much.

The Monolith is their Flat with LM burrs. It will be for sale come July as I’m getting their MC4 dual conical and a Max with coarse burrs for pour over. I’ll also sell the Versalab.

I’m happy with my bikes at this point, have to obsess about something…
Old 01-08-2022, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSteve View Post
The Monolith is their Flat with LM burrs. It will be for sale come July as I’m getting their MC4 dual conical and a Max with coarse burrs for pour over. I’ll also sell the Versalab.
...raises hand...pick me, pick me.

So a Rocket, a versalab, a Kakatek and a ..... nespresso?
Old 01-08-2022, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankles View Post
...raises hand...pick me, pick me.

So a Rocket, a versalab, a Kakatek and a ..... nespresso?
Funny! Yeah, ended up with my sister-in-law. My wife had it at her office until, well, you know…she didn’t go into the office for a year and a half…

As for the Kafatek, I think it’s spoken for already. They are hard to come by, for sure. I’ve gotten really lucky with getting his grinders, most people haven’t been.
Old 01-08-2022, 10:12 PM

Quote:

Funny! Yeah, ended up with my sister-in-law. My wife had it at her office until, well, you know…she didn’t go into the office for a year and a half…

As for the Kafatek, I think it’s spoken for already. They are hard to come by, for sure. I’ve gotten really lucky with getting his grinders, most people haven’t been.
Ha, Figured as much...it begs the question...why the switch. I have my own biases regarding flat vs conical. Borrows a friends Weber for a while. "interesting" to say the least.
Old 01-08-2022, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankles View Post
Ha, Figured as much...it begs the question...why the switch. I have my own biases regarding flat vs conical. Borrows a friends Weber for a while. "interesting" to say the least.
I’m getting a Kafatek MC4 to replace the Versalab ( both conicals ). The Flat will be replaced with a Flat Max with coarse burrs for pour over. I’m just tired of the Versalab after owning it over 10 years. It is a truly great grinder and very forgiving, no puck prep needed. Funny, I believe it’s spoken for as well by someone locally here. Titan grinders are quite the commodity these days.

But it’s time to move on…
Old 01-09-2022, 12:38 AM
shimergo

Quote:
R Nine One is amazing! Took a bit to figure out their stupid programming/ software but their customer service is great. Much better then their pathetic owners manual. And yeah, it’s totally upped my espresso game 10 fold. I have to hold myself back from experimenting too much.

I’m happy with my bikes at this point, have to obsess about something…
Some very nice grinders on the way! I've heard and read over and over that the MC4 is the jam. Very curious to try (read: own) one myself, but I just received my Flat MAX with the SW burrs about 6 months ago.

Tags
coffee, coffee espresso