Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-22-2022, 09:10 PM

Horse, by Geraldine Brooks.
The Singer’s Gun.
Old 08-22-2022, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbikerider View Post
Longitude by Dava Sobel - a quick read on solving the problem of finding longitude and can can lead to some rabbit holing looking at early mechanical clocks
Thanks for reminding me about this one. I was just completely blown away to think of a wooden clock that could keep time and then he makes a machine that can determine longitude… just so completely far out to my oh so young mind. I’m going to pick this one up again soon.

Right now I’m in the middle of The Life of Sir Alexander Fleming by Andre Marois. You know about his contribution to medicine but the man’s approach to science is truly inspiring.

I’ll be finishing Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World by Haruki Murakami in the next week or so for the 3rd or 4th time. I just finished his What I Talk About When I Talk About Running.

I heard they’re making All the Light We Can Not See by John Doerr into a movie so that’s up next.
Old 08-23-2022, 04:32 PM

Unknown Pleasure By Peter Hook.

Great insight on New Order if you are a fan… I have yet to read Substance though which he released in 2016
Old 08-23-2022, 04:52 PM

as a bday gift, got a copy of Drawn to the Deep. recounts the underwater explorations of Wes Skiles.

Wes was a person of many interests including photography, diving, caving (both dry and fully submerged systems), and natural resource conservation.

as a fellow cave diver, I really appreciate how he approached the sport when it was in its formative state. many of his exploits required the creation of equipment and techniques not previously available.

he was was a pioneer in many aspects of cave diving and much of his self-taught procedures have been incorporated into the current state-of-the-art.
Old 08-23-2022, 09:20 PM

"The Secret Diary of Hendrik Groen", A quick read that recounts the fictional year of Hendrik (83 1/2 yo) in a Danish retirement home. It's funny and full of insights and anecdotes of human social behavior. Of course, it also gives a wide encompassing view into aging.
Old 08-24-2022, 02:22 PM

Land of Second Chances: The Rwandan National Cycling Team

Great insight into modern times, bike culture, and bicycle racing in places as different as one can imagine. Good stuff on Tom Ritchey, and the challenges of getting bicycles and support into landlocked African areas. Also the connections between bicycles, simple as they are, and coffee production, of all things.
Old 08-24-2022, 03:42 PM

The Hemingses of Monticello: An American Family

A Pulitzer prize winning nonfiction history about the long-term sexual relationship between Sally Hemings and Thomas Jefferson which produced four children. Jefferson was not married because his 1st & only wife passed away, but it was a complicated affair because Sally was Jefferson's slave. Annette Gordon-Reed did a perfect job covering every possible take on all the questions about this.

Last edited by dcama5; 09-08-2022 at 02:42 PM.
Old 08-24-2022, 06:32 PM

I've had some good recs from this thread.
Stuff Matters - Mark Miodownik
A History of the World in 6 Glasses - Tom Standage

after reading the above, I picked up and recommend ...
The Disappearing Spoon - Sam Kean
Caesar's Last breath - Sam Kean
Napolean's Buttons - Penny Le Couteur and Jay Burresco
A Short History of Nearly Everything - Bill Bryson

Its amazing how often the same people show up in different fields of discovery.
Old 08-25-2022, 11:50 AM

It's a long story - my life- Willie Nelson.
Real good read - he is a fascinating personality -

Touches upon his:
Religious beliefs
IRS troubles - manager didnt pay taxes
Philosophy - power over thoughts
Hobby - Golf
Fighting Nashville and the music industry
Womanizing - divorces
and of course pot - he was at a bar and received a call that his house was on fire - he asked if the fire had spread to the garage - answer - no but getting close. Willie - well quickly go move the old car into the garage - might as well get insurance money for the old thing. He raced home - ran into the burning house and retrieved two guitar cases - one with his famous guitar (Trigger) and the other with 2 kilos of primo columbian pot.
Old 08-26-2022, 03:44 PM

Old 08-26-2022, 03:58 PM

Trying my best to get through this book . I admire the author after hearing him on a few podcasts, and the Amazon series "The Terminal List" was entertaining

However, i like an adventure book to flow a bit better --- like Clive Cussler.

Carr really doubles down on fine details and i can see where a lot of guys' (guessing his readership is predominately male) like that style, but i'd rather keep it light normally

Old 09-08-2022, 11:21 AM
I need you cool.

Just finished Blake Crouch's lastest fiction: "Upgrade"

The plot is mostly about genetic engineering, but it is set about 50+ years into the future, so has some definite environmental themes as well....seemed especially relevant given the other thread about the CA power & water issues.

It is a pretty light read, but I like Blake Crouch's stuff....."Wayward Pines" was the first I read of his. If you have not read it (or seen the TV mini-series) it is worth it.......
Old 09-08-2022, 12:09 PM

Bought it at the America Criterium Cup finals over Labor Day weekend in St. Louis.
The Midwest was once seriously rockin' in racing.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 09-08-2022 at 12:12 PM.
Old 09-08-2022, 12:18 PM

The End of the world is just the beginning

The End of the World Is Just the Beginning: Mapping the Collapse of Globalization.Peter Zeihan (Author)
A New York Times Bestseller!
2019 was the last great year for the world economy.
For generations, everything has been getting faster, better, and cheaper. Finally, we reached the point that almost anything you could ever want could be sent to your home within days - even hours - of when you decided you wanted it.
America made that happen, but now America has lost interest in keeping it going.
Globe-spanning supply chains are only possible with the protection of the U.S. Navy. The American dollar underpins internationalized energy and financial markets. Complex, innovative industries were created to satisfy American consumers. American security policy forced warring nations to lay down their arms. Billions of people have been fed and educated as the American-led trade system spread across the globe.
All of this was artificial. All this was temporary. All this is ending.
Old 09-08-2022, 02:56 PM

Stars in their Courses: The Gettysburg Campaign

I finished The Hemingses of Monticello: an American Family and started Stars in Their Courses: the Gettysburg Campaign by Shelby Foote. This is my third book on the battle of Gettysburg and it's very good. Shelby Foote wrote the most complete three-volume set on the civil war titled (of course) Civil War. This was taken from that set and covers the build up, the three days of battle, and the southern retreat back into Virginia. Gettysburg is only two hours north of Winchester so my wife and I take cycling vacations there most years.