Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-25-2024, 09:06 AM

We were up in the Uintahs this weekend, so instead of a ride, I got a snowshoe adventure. So cold. So still. So beautiful.

Mine were the first human tracks up the draw, but plenty of critter tracks. On the left side of this photo you can see the fox tracks that I chose to follow for the day. I let him choose my path.

Single digits when I started. Chilly.

Hiking these trails as a kid, I remember how magical it felt that the spring was always running and always had greenery growing around it even in deep winter when the rest of the creeks and rivers were frozen over.

This stand of cottonwood has always had special meaning in our family. When my grandpa and grandma were courting and newly married, they often hiked up here with a picnic lunch. Lots of tender memories hiking up here with him after she passed.

Some nice light on the beaver ponds as the day drew to a close.

Old 02-25-2024, 03:39 PM
2Retro4U

In 1973 my friend Steve Wilde (R.I.P.) told me that a photographer wanted photos of bicycle riders. We were joined by Gil de la Roza when we rode behind the photographer, who was sitting backwards on the back of a motorcycle.

I didn't think any more about it, until a year later when we turned up on the cover of Bike World magazine. My bike is an early '70s Colnago with bar-cons. The brake levers had been bent in a crash. In that era, getting replacement Campy parts was complicated.

Out of dozens of photos, the selected image had me in the "pole position." This was long before anyone wore a helmet when they weren't racing.

Old 02-25-2024, 03:48 PM

[QUOTE=exapkib;3355752]We were up in the Uintahs this weekend, so instead of a ride, I got a snowshoe adventure. So cold. So still. So beautiful.

Mine were the first human tracks up the draw, but plenty of critter tracks. On the left side of this photo you can see the fox tracks that I chose to follow for the day. I let him choose my path.

Exapkib,

Those pics are stellar - I wish I had a "like" button! Our daughter did a 2-year post-doc research stint at Utah State in Logan. We visited her there and loved the Wasatch mountains and Cache Valley. She is now on faculty at the University of Houston, so no more visits to Utah for me. Anyway, thanks for the great pics and interesting family history.

Dave
Old 02-25-2024, 03:56 PM

A break in snowstorms gave me a few days of mostly clear roads. Went out this morning on the Poprad for a chilly 24 miles.

Reservoir is frozen over:

I'm sure there were thousands of skiers up at the resort today:

Ice Fishermen:

Downtown Huntsville:

Snowbasin and hay sheds:

The Poprad:

Snowbasin:
Old 02-25-2024, 05:22 PM

Green.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8901.jpg (149.1 KB, 277 views)
Old 02-25-2024, 05:39 PM

Downtown Huntsville:

James,
You guys from Utah are showing the rest of us how ride posts should be done! Just kidding, but those are great pics of the Wasatch mountains and thanks for that.

Dave

Last edited by dcama5; 02-25-2024 at 05:53 PM.
Old 02-25-2024, 06:47 PM

Some shots from the last few days!

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
Old 02-27-2024, 06:46 PM
Vendor

Dehydration was not something I worried about on today's route.

[IMG]Untitled by Michael Lock, on Flickr[/IMG]

(Just kidding, folks. I haven't had that kind of drink since I was a rebellious 9 year old.)
Old 02-27-2024, 08:11 PM

New cockpit on the Bob Jackson! Almost 62 miles around Martha's Vineyard on a mostly sunny day in the low 50Fs! Woohoo!

Ready to ride, before h-bar bag on the Jackson and small frame pack on the Supersix are fastened on, the Jackson is 10 pounds heavier.

And it really doesn't matter one whit to the enjoyment of the ride.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6236.jpg (146.6 KB, 200 views)
Old 02-28-2024, 12:00 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
New cockpit on the Bob Jackson! Almost 62 miles around Martha's Vineyard on a mostly sunny day in the low 50Fs! Woohoo!

Ready to ride, before h-bar bag on the Jackson and small frame pack on the Supersix are fastened on, the Jackson is 10 pounds heavier.

And it really doesn't matter one whit to the enjoyment of the ride.
I've recently come to realize that the difference between 'heavy feel' and 'light feel' has more to do with geometry and tire width/curvature profile than the actual weight of the bike. I mean, the difference between a 14 lbs bike and a 20 lbs bike, yeah, I can feel that. The difference between 13 and 16, or 15 and 18, or 17 and 19? If there's a nice stiff cockpit and a good wheel/tire combo on each bike, nope.
For two months in peak end of summer/early fall riding season last year, I didn't have a carbon road bike, having recently sold my 15 lbs ultra aero super duper Propel to someone who made me a really good offer. For those months, my 'best bike' was a 19ish lbs Norco Section S Reynolds 725 steel disc brake bike. The Propel felt more fun to ride on the road and *was* faster overall, specifically faster/easier at speeds above 22 mph, but on my favorite 80 mile/7500 feet of climbing loop, the final times on hard solo rides were within 5-10 minutes of each other. That's 5-10 minutes over 4 - 4.5 hours. Big difference if you're riding a World Tour. Otherwise negligible.
And I'd say the majority of that time discrepancy was due not to weight, but to, in order of importance, the difference in tire width (28 vs 35), tube shapes (round vs aero optimized, and wheels (Cadex Ultra 50 vs Enve 3.4).
Old 02-28-2024, 12:02 PM
Vendor

I rode my N64 today. The draw distance was awful. Amazing we used to not only tolerate these graphics, we actually thought they couldn't get any better!

Old 02-28-2024, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Blubba View Post
Dehydration was not something I worried about on today's route.

(Just kidding, folks. I haven't had that kind of drink since I was a rebellious 9 year old.)
I would be worrying about the drivers
Old 02-28-2024, 01:33 PM
Vendor

Here's a couple more from today, upgraded to PS2 graphics. (I love videogames but I'm luddite; PS2 is as good as it gets for me.)

Old 02-28-2024, 02:03 PM

Recent picture. I have snowboarded more often recently and have been having a really hard time getting rides in during the week. The last 2 times I've managed to go for a ride it's been mountain biking. I've gone a second winter with a fat bike without really riding any significant snow. I did ride some snow on this ride, and despite not having studs it's amazing how good the bike is in the snow, probably better than my normal MTB was with studs. In any case there has been a lot of mud for February. Rides were cold and windy so the woods are nice.

I think the Strava segment I took this on is called "The longest bridge" or something. Very easy to ride unless it's wet and near freezing and you're on a gravel bike but it's very photogenic.

It killed me to not be able to get out the last couple days due to work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9890.jpg (155.8 KB, 113 views)
Old 02-28-2024, 02:30 PM

Alleghenies…New Year’s Eve

Finally uploaded….New Year’s Eve with the trusty C50 in the Laurel Highlands