Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-27-2024, 11:15 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccardr View Post
Your photography skills are improving.
Also, your butt is shinier.
Well, there's my personal Post of the Year So Far. Thanks Rccardr.

@Purplebikechick, gosh, wow, I need to go ride on the West Coast, asap. Those are incredible shots.
Old 01-28-2024, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Blubba View Post
An incredible morning in the Shenandoah Valley today. The sun and moon in vivid coexistent flourish set my head spinning. You hear the expression 'light of the silvery moon' but not often does the moon actually appear to be made of silver. Today it was shining like freshly polished radioactive sterling.
I didn't get enough sleep last night and was still physically exhausted from yesterday's hard ride, and my mind settled into this really nice peaceful groove. Aware, awake, fully alert, and yet utterly relaxed.
I'd describe this ride as 'entertaining'. A stirring new sight or sense to appreciate around every corner --including a perfect bald eagle which I had disregarding as a plastic lawn statue plopped on a tree stump until it winked at me, nodded, and flew off.
Bikes are great, the world is a great place to ride them, and we're lucky to have them (both).

After the ride, I went with my girlfriend to Ulta Beauty. It was my first time in one of their stores, and I found it almost as entertaining as the bike ride, in a Things You Never Knew Existed sort of way.
Almost makes me want to go back home!

Ultra is one of my go to sites for matching paint (fingernail polish) for the bikes since they have a large selection and let me bring in my bikes.
Old 01-28-2024, 07:49 AM

Quote:

[IMG]Untitled by Michael Lock, on Flickr[/IMG]
What that Ritchey looks sharp. Well done and great photo. Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-28-2024, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkle View Post
I would love to get a Paceline group ride together on Skyline Drive this year. What do you folks think? I've been living in Virginia for a year but I just never managed to get out that way last season. It would be great to get to Skyline Drive with some of you that have some experience riding out that way for a ride together. Drop me a PM if interested and maybe we can set something up?
Sounds like a good idea. Live at the southern end, and sadly never been up on Skyline as the car traffic worries me. Might be mistaken. Have done some of the Parkway going up Montebelo and across and back down to Reids Gap.

Guess I might be wrong about the cars, will have to give it a shot. But a get together not a bad idea.
Old 01-28-2024, 04:26 PM

Got out this morning for a little shakedown ride of the Lemond Poprad I picked up yesterday. Temps in the 30s.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0013.jpg (115.4 KB, 223 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0014.jpg (57.1 KB, 216 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0017.jpg (59.1 KB, 221 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0018.jpg (56.2 KB, 221 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0019.jpg (74.1 KB, 220 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0015.jpg (76.4 KB, 221 views)
Old 01-28-2024, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleBikeChick View Post
A loop from Calabasas up Stunt, down Puima, including Lake Malibou. Temperature reached 79.
Wow!
Old 01-28-2024, 04:35 PM

It was too hard to decide last night so I decided to get it all and have leftovers for the week. Some of the better bbq I’ve had, and in a small town (Payson) in what looked like to be an old large house.

I then woke up today to an elk banging on the tree outside our room.

After a wet and messy ride yesterday I went to Hawes where it was in the upper 70s and sunny with a stiff easterly wind that felt like a cool fan.

Old 01-28-2024, 05:02 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleBikeChick View Post
A loop from Calabasas up Stunt, down Puima, including Lake Malibou. Temperature reached 79.
Funny, I too descended Piuma and climbed Stunt yesterday, though coming from the other side of the mountains I had to climb Rambla first. It was indeed a gorgeous day.
I just never stop to take photos.
Old 01-28-2024, 05:56 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by glepore View Post
Sounds like a good idea. Live at the southern end, and sadly never been up on Skyline as the car traffic worries me. Might be mistaken. Have done some of the Parkway going up Montebelo and across and back down to Reids Gap.

Guess I might be wrong about the cars, will have to give it a shot. But a get together not a bad idea.
Traffic is usually non existent, especially in the mornings. Only a factor on weekends in the summer, and during the fall when leaves are at or approaching peak.
Any other time, you will have less traffic on Skyline Drive than on 99% of the rest of the roads in the US, National Park or otherwise.
Old 01-28-2024, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Traffic is usually non existent, especially in the mornings. Only a factor on weekends in the summer, and during the fall when leaves are at or approaching peak.
Any other time, you will have less traffic on Skyline Drive than on 99% of the rest of the roads in the US, National Park or otherwise.
Yes, my experience as well. It has been many years for me, but I rode the entire 105 mile Skyline Drive from Front Royal to Waynesboro, as well as parts here and there since then, and traffic is slow - everyone is taking in the views. No traffic reason to avoid Skyline Drive.

Last edited by dcama5; 01-29-2024 at 06:38 AM.
Old 01-28-2024, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Good to hear that hasn't changed. I used to go up there when home on leave and a lot of times felt like I had the place all to myself.
Old 01-28-2024, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
Funny, I too descended Piuma and climbed Stunt yesterday,….
I just never stop to take photos.
Maybe you passed me .

I like taking & sharing pictures. So much so that I’m practicing photos of the moon with my iPhone with the aim of taking pictures of the full solar eclipse while riding through Texas Hill country. If successful I’ll post.
Old 01-29-2024, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdak View Post
Got out this morning for a little shakedown ride of the Lemond Poprad I picked up yesterday. Temps in the 30s.
Love seeing your photos from up north. Thanks for sharing.

Nice ride again yesterday--40 miles along the valley and a brief foray up the canyon. Cold again (30's), but not rainy this time (thank goodness).

No bar tape as I was working to get the bars and levers set up properly during this ride. I'll wrap them and take some proper photos this week.

Such a joy to be riding again--amazing how (forced) time off the bike infuses the ride with so much more meaning upon returning.

Old 01-29-2024, 10:11 AM
hoolered

Old 01-29-2024, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdak View Post
Poprads are simply perfectly proportioned bikes - so nice!

Hummus: amazing weather - I could use some of that.

Love the wood tongs and the commentary! Also love a garage sale of nice bike stuff - Ive never seen one which is too bad

Last edited by d_douglas; 01-29-2024 at 12:27 PM.