Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-18-2021, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdude View Post
Because of the post, I went from this to that. Loving my coffee every morning.
Great set-up. Did you make that wooding tamping station yourself or is it available for purchase?

Also, we are all guilty as enablers, of one another

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwynne View Post
Will do! It'll probably be about a month still before I get it. It's been around in various permutations for long enough that I'm not *terribly* concerned. James Hoffman's comparison to the Niche definitely favoured the Niche, but mostly on creature comforts (which usually make a big difference to me, but here price and availability won out).
Btw, just what exactly are Hoffman's credentials?

Also, right after buying the Niche, I learned that Eureka is coming out with its own single-dosing grinder, based on the Mignon Oro. One'd like it to be in the $800-900 range, but given that the regular Mignon Oro is already in that range, and that comparable unit from Caedo is almost $1300 (that's what a good commercial grinder costs), I doubt the Mignon Oro Single-doser will cost less than $1k.
Old 08-18-2021, 11:05 AM
all slow no go

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post

Beyond a great depth of geekery, passion and experience, a smattering of championships, founding Square Mile and other businesses, and I believe consulting on development and design of a number of products https://www.jameshoffmann.co.uk/work
Old 08-18-2021, 11:27 AM

Quote:
One does not simply question Hoffman

I think it also has to be said that he's just very entertaining and engaging to watch - at least I think so anyway.

Still very much enjoying my Robot that was mostly purchased upon his recommendation. It's gonna outlive me for sure and I intend to have it for years and years to come.
Old 08-18-2021, 11:29 AM
all slow no go

Yes, beyond "credentials", I like his attitude, presentation style, etc... He's a fun, engaging follow. A lot of his stuff is way beyond my price/time/knowledge, but I still find it enjoyable to engage with!
Old 08-18-2021, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Great set-up. Did you make that wooding tamping station yourself or is it available for purchase?
The tamping station is all over ebay, Its from China for $30.
Old 08-18-2021, 06:06 PM

I’ve been skipping around this thread and realize I don’t know what I don’t know about this topic. I do know I like drinking good coffee. Setting the hardware aside for a minute, what are some go-to subscription coffee services that folks would recommend? Thanks.

Last edited by Xrslug; 08-18-2021 at 09:34 PM.
Old 08-18-2021, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xrslug View Post
I’ve been skipping around this thread and realize I don’t know what I don’t know. about this topic. I do know I like drinking good coffee. Setting the hardware aside for a minute, what are some go-to subscription coffee services that folks would recommend? Thanks.
Trade offer a nice variety. But I bet your local roaster does too. I don’t like coffee subs because I change my mind on what I want to drink all the time but still have quite specific tastes. I’ve not found one that’s worked for me.
Old 09-13-2021, 08:29 AM

I took advantage of Flair's 20% off sale over the long weekend and upgraded my Flair setup with the pressure gauge and their hand grinder.

I wouldn't have known without the gauge but my shots were way under pressure... the new grinder is shockingly better than my old one and it's a massive upgrade once I got it dialed in. < 30 seconds to hand grind 15g for a shot too, hard to believe it's that fast. I haven't timed it but it may be faster than my electric grinder which of course can't grind that fine.

The lever pressure on the flair is pretty shocking to actually get 9 bars, though it can clearly exceed 9 bars no problem. You do really need to get your body weight behind it.

I also figured out a steaming solution to super heat the brew head with my kettle, I should have done that a LONG time ago. It's actually less work to steam it now and doesn't waste water.

Pretty amazing quality!
Old 09-13-2021, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbrwn View Post
One does not simply question Hoffman
I question him all the time, but the cools thing is... HE REPLIES!. That being said, one should never rely on a single source for info. There are other knowledgeable folks out there doing similar reviews. However, few are nearly as entertaining as James (case in point, the Ember Mug Review...and yes I too shamefully love my ember). He's often not super scientific, but doesn't claim to be...so I'm good with that. There are people out there running double blind cuppings and using refractometers to confirm if that's your thing. Coffee nerdness runs deep.
Old 09-13-2021, 10:57 AM

James is very entertaining and his book is great (I got a signed copy) but sometimes he is doing things that add a ton of effort & time mostly for the show and you need to take that for what it's worth and decide whether it's worth it for you.

The show is an important part of it for some. And maybe you'd do that if you're making coffee for guests but not making something for yourself all alone.

His Moka pot technique for example, a good bit of extra work, not a huge payoff for me.
Old 09-13-2021, 11:06 AM

Heh - only tongue in cheek. I know there are lots of coffee people out there!

Nice work @benb - amazing how much of a difference a grinder makes, huh?
Old 09-13-2021, 11:09 AM

Manual press tastes good, my neighbor is specializing in this method. I'm using a $50 Costco drip machine on timer. Works for me.
Old 09-13-2021, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbrwn View Post
Heh - only tongue in cheek. I know there are lots of coffee people out there!
Oh I know ;-) I love the guy and I value his efforts and insights. I send friends there when they are getting started. I mean really, what's not to like.
Old 09-13-2021, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
but sometimes he is doing things that add a ton of effort & time mostly for the show and you need to take that for what it's worth and decide whether it's worth it for you.
Yeah thats what I hate about people who are making money on youtube. They tack on extra stuff that may be completely unnecessary just to add minutes to their video. So while I dont mind long videos, i suspect a lot of info that youtube stars brush on, may be garbage.
Old 09-13-2021, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmradio516 View Post
Yeah thats what I hate about people who are making money on youtube. They tack on extra stuff that may be completely unnecessary just to add minutes to their video. So while I dont mind long videos, i suspect a lot of info that youtube stars brush on, may be garbage.
I agree - and if James had ten ad-rolls in the middle of his videos, I'd agree with you about him as well, but he doesn't. He has one short ad at the beginning and a sponsor that he has to shout out. Sometimes in 30 minute long videos. He's doing it right.

Tags
coffee, coffee espresso