Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-23-2023, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
Not a ride, but I did finally manage to snag a Half Dome permit this week. I love Yosemite.

So much nicer after the cables are down, your not looking up at 100's of asses in front of you!
Old 07-23-2023, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcama5 View Post
James, are you a retired physical therapist? "PT clinic" sounds like a yes. Our daughter that was doing a two-year post-doc research position at Utah State in Logan (near you), is now on faculty at the University of Houston, so no more visits for me to the Wasatch mountains in Utah, but she and her family are currently baking in Texas heat. Houston has an ideal temperature for about 9 months of the year, but during dead summer, nope! Thanks for the great pics.
Oh, no.....I'm a patient. They worked on me a lot last year trying to keep my knees going and then have been steadily abusing me since the first knee replacement in April.

So how did Cache Valley compare to the Shenandoah Valley for you? I'm a native from south of you in Rockingham County. We had a 66 acre horse farm right beside the southbound rest station on I-81 that's two miles south of New Market.
Old 07-24-2023, 01:21 AM

Late evening ride in the Artemare (F) region, one day after visiting the Grand Columbier stage (which was a blast!).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20230716-WA0008~4.jpg (138.1 KB, 347 views)
Old 07-24-2023, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdak View Post
Oh, no.....I'm a patient. They worked on me a lot last year trying to keep my knees going and then have been steadily abusing me since the first knee replacement in April.

So how did Cache Valley compare to the Shenandoah Valley for you? I'm a native from south of you in Rockingham County. We had a 66 acre horse farm right beside the southbound rest station on I-81 that's two miles south of New Market.
James,
The most obvious difference is the size of the Wasatch mountains compared to the Blue Ridge, but that's mostly about the age of the mountains (tectonic movement).

I liked the Cache Valley, but I prefer the Shenandoah Valley (just my opinion). I like the history here in Virginia, from way back in the early 1600s thru the Civil War. The Shenandoah Valley saw a lot of this Civil War history from Stonewall Jackson's 1862 Valley Campaign forward. There were 5 battles right here near Winchester: 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Winchester, 1st and 2nd Kernstown, and Cedar Creek (or Belle Grove). I can be on a historic battlefield in 5 minutes.

Also, we drove down to Houston to visit our daughter last Christmas time and drove down I-81 through the Shenandoah Valley to the bottom of the state. It's really beautiful all the way down. Lastly, we are about 2 hours from Gettysburg with its national battlefield park - probably my favorite vacation spot.

Last edited by dcama5; 07-24-2023 at 12:06 PM.
Old 07-29-2023, 09:51 AM
Vendor

This morning on Fort Valley Road, which I imagine is one of the most perfect 35 mile stretches of road in the world for bike riding. Located in the northern part of the Shenandoah Valley, it winds and rolls between the Shenandoah range (pictured) and the Massanutten range, punctuated near the southern terminus by a fantastic climb up Massanutten itself (with several ways up, on road and gravel), and Front Royal at the northern tip. This picture was taken just after breaking out of the lush green confines of George Washington National Forest, into the open valley countryside - always a breathtaking experience.

Old 07-29-2023, 03:38 PM

Took out the Merckx this morning to get a feel for how it rode with the Eurus wheels I got from Clean39T. It felt great. All this week I suffered through 24-25 mile rides in the afternoon with the coolest day being 95 degrees. So to get out this morning with temps in the 60's was so nice. Decided to just cruise around taking pictures vs hammering away on the bike.

Old 07-29-2023, 03:55 PM

quick 70 mile ride before the heat set in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4131.jpg (150.9 KB, 268 views)
Old 07-29-2023, 03:58 PM
ZhugeLiang

Old 07-30-2023, 04:40 PM

Nice posts, so far this week.

A short 20-mile ride with my wife on a windy day in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia:

Belle Grove Plantation: the civil war battle of Cedar Creek (or, Belle Grove) was fought on the grounds of Belle Grove in 1864.

The always-great Kirk at Belle Grove:

Last edited by dcama5; 07-30-2023 at 05:03 PM.
Old 07-30-2023, 05:27 PM

Had yardwork to do this morning so I went for a short ride around the little town I live in. All shots probably 3 miles straightline distance from the house at most.

Old 07-30-2023, 05:44 PM
Administrator

After an oppressive few days of heat and humidity, woke up this morning to a beautiful day. Humidity gone and seasonably coolish temps. Beautiful leisurely ride through some of NJ's farmlands...

Old 07-30-2023, 05:44 PM
Vendor

You’ve got a good eye, Jamesdak; and a very nice bike collection.

DCama, I always get a kick out of trying to recognize landmarks in your photos, as we ride a lot of the same roads.
Old 08-02-2023, 06:43 PM

I love seeing these photos!

Here are a few from two recent rides. Rode through some threatening weather this morning, which made for much more comfortable temperatures and some dramatic mountain scenes.

Last weekend a buddy and I rode a route I've been wanting to do for a long time--using a dirt road to connect some of the big climbs on the backside of the Wasatch Mountains. Incredible morning on the bike. Totally underbiked for the gravel section, but that just made it more fun (and much slower).

Old 08-04-2023, 08:40 AM
love2bike

How did that rock get there?
rock.jpg
Old 08-04-2023, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerambler View Post
How did that rock get there?
Attachment 1698068867
Remains of the Old Man in the Mountain