Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-13-2022, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloydz View Post
This might be the problem here. Initially, I used the classical road cups. When I realized that the crank arm didn't fit with the cups, I've bought Ekar specific cups but the issue is the same.

I think the joint is damaged because of what i've explained just before.

I will go the bicycle store to try to fix this but i'm really pessimistic.

Thanks again for your help.
If you first put them in standard cups, you probably deformed the seals (it looks that way above) to the point where they no longer fit in an Ekar bottom bracket.
Old 03-23-2022, 12:14 PM

I would like to thank all of you guys and especially SpeedyChix who was on the right track!

I went to the cycling store and the bearings are changed.

I put the crankset on the bike and it's working well.

God Bless America !
Old 03-24-2022, 02:02 PM

Been running my Ekar group on a bike since last summer. Ca 4100km.
Experience so far:
Have had to bleed both front and rear brakes - much earlier than expected.
Had a bent hanger on the new bike which I didnt figure out for a while so by the time I replaced the hanger I had stripped the adjustment screw ( barrel adjuster for adjusting wire tension) so cannot adjust the derailleur. Anyone know if it is an Ekar specific adjuster screw? My local bike shop didnt know…
After a muddy gravel distance ride last weekend the chain drops off the chainring on the same tooth when pedaling backwards (dropped during the ride ca 5 times and thought it was due to mud / clogging.) Seems one of teeth is bent now….

So far have not had great luck with the group where I have been able to avoid issues with all my other Campagnolo groups by performing regular maintenance.

Last edited by dpmackey; 03-24-2022 at 03:44 PM.
Old 03-24-2022, 05:03 PM

RD-EK103 is the spare part number if you need to replace the barrel adjuster. Is the adjuster stripped, or the threading in the RD itself?
Old 03-24-2022, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpmackey View Post
Been running my Ekar group on a bike since last summer. Ca 4100km.
Experience so far:
Have had to bleed both front and rear brakes - much earlier than expected.
Had a bent hanger on the new bike which I didnt figure out for a while so by the time I replaced the hanger I had stripped the adjustment screw ( barrel adjuster for adjusting wire tension) so cannot adjust the derailleur. Anyone know if it is an Ekar specific adjuster screw? My local bike shop didnt know…
After a muddy gravel distance ride last weekend the chain drops off the chainring on the same tooth when pedaling backwards (dropped during the ride ca 5 times and thought it was due to mud / clogging.) Seems one of teeth is bent now….

So far have not had great luck with the group where I have been able to avoid issues with all my other Campagnolo groups by performing regular maintenance.
Why did you have to bleed the brakes? And how did you strip the adjustment screw?
Old 03-25-2022, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herb5998 View Post
RD-EK103 is the spare part number if you need to replace the barrel adjuster. Is the adjuster stripped, or the threading in the RD itself?
Thanks for the part number - not sure why my googling skills didnt get me there…
I know the threads are gone on the adjuster screw - will double check this weekend that the derailleur isnt stripped.

“Why did you have to bleed the brakes? And how did you strip the adjustment screw?”
Had to bleed the brakes as they needed to - at different intervals. Front brake after 5-6 months and now rear brake. Brake levers bottoming out.
How I stripped the screw - me being impatient and tightening and un tightening while out on rides. I believe it occurred mainly from backing out the screw all the way without realizing it and riding like that for some time. Wore down the threads that way….
Old 03-25-2022, 04:42 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by herb5998 View Post
And since the RD-EK number is the entire assembly, spring and washer, I wouldn't be surprised if the actual barrel adjuster is the same length and pitch as SR/Record and maybe even Potenza, etc...RD barrel adjusters.
Old 03-25-2022, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the part number - not sure why my googling skills didnt get me there…
I know the threads are gone on the adjuster screw - will double check this weekend that the derailleur isnt stripped.

“Why did you have to bleed the brakes? And how did you strip the adjustment screw?”
Had to bleed the brakes as they needed to - at different intervals. Front brake after 5-6 months and now rear brake. Brake levers bottoming out.
How I stripped the screw - me being impatient and tightening and un tightening while out on rides. I believe it occurred mainly from backing out the screw all the way without realizing it and riding like that for some time. Wore down the threads that way….
If you are loosing lever pressure from either getting air in the system or loosing oil, there is something not hooked up properly.

I have done that with a MTB hanger once as well. You keep thinking it is just an adjustment but it turns out it is more!
Old 03-26-2022, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespasianus View Post
If you are loosing lever pressure from either getting air in the system or loosing oil, there is something not hooked up properly.

I have done that with a MTB hanger once as well. You keep thinking it is just an adjustment but it turns out it is more!
Absolutely - brake setup I assume is an error related to shop installation- as I have not had a reoccurrence since.
Rear derailleur issue is due to user error (frustration).
I am surprised that I was able to bend / barb a tooth on the chainring during a ride.

It is a bit frustrating to not have been able to experience riding the group properly dialed in yet!
Old 03-26-2022, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Absolutely - brake setup I assume is an error related to shop installation- as I have not had a reoccurrence since.
Rear derailleur issue is due to user error (frustration).
I am surprised that I was able to bend / barb a tooth on the chainring during a ride.

It is a bit frustrating to not have been able to experience riding the group properly dialed in yet!
I hear you. I was called by two bikes shops to help with campag disc brakes - both shops did not have a campag specific bleed kit nor the bleed block. One was a Campag authorized shop. The second shop thought it was the same as a Shimano or SRAM system and had jerry rigged a set up but was doomed to fail because they used a smaller block, over filling the system.

When you mentioned you had to re-bleed you brakes I was wondering if you had suffered a similar fate.

On a side note, I don't think people have any understanding of things anymore. I see that everywhere (and on bike forums). They can do something but have no clue why they are doing it or what a certain thing does (like a bleed block). I think that is 100% the reason why people can't get certain things to work well (like disc brakes or tubeless tires).

I make kits for scientific research and I see it there as well, so it is not limited to just bike mechanics!
Old 03-26-2022, 07:45 AM

Indeed. It was a Campagnolo mechanic that setup the bike but also another Campagnolo mechanic close by that sorted the brakes.

I also borrowed the adjustment screw from a pre 2015 Super Record derailleur (spring retained on the Ekar derailleur) and it threaded in. They were the same length and obviously diameter so I will buy a few of these.
Old 03-26-2022, 05:22 PM

170 vs 165 for gravel

Do most people ride shorter cranks on their gravel bikes vs the road bike? I am about to order a groupset and I considering going down to 165, I normally ride 170 on my road bikes.

I am planning on waxing the chain and I see that ekar is offering a chain with C-Link instead of the pins. Is it available to purchase extra C-Links? Are they the same as the mks missing link? would an 11 speed missing link be too wide?
Cheers!
Old 03-26-2022, 05:51 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinarelli View Post
Do most people ride shorter cranks on their gravel bikes vs the road bike? I am about to order a groupset and I considering going down to 165, I normally ride 170 on my road bikes.

I am planning on waxing the chain and I see that ekar is offering a chain with C-Link instead of the pins. Is it available to purchase extra C-Links? Are they the same as the mks missing link? would an 11 speed missing link be too wide?
Cheers!

Yes, many people go with smaller crank arms but it's not necessary. It really come down to fit. If a 170mm crank arm is what's best for fit, use those.

Yes, the Ekar chain comes with a quick link. The hey also offer a chain without it.

Yes, they offer quick links for sale aftermarket.

No, you can't use any one elses quick links.
Old 03-26-2022, 06:22 PM

Thank you! I will def order more quicklinks so I can take the chains off and rotate/wax process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocipede View Post
Yes, many people go with smaller crank arms but it's not necessary. It really come down to fit. If a 170mm crank arm is what's best for fit, use those.

Yes, the Ekar chain comes with a quick link. The hey also offer a chain without it.

Yes, they offer quick links for sale aftermarket.

No, you can't use any one elses quick links.
Old 03-26-2022, 06:52 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinarelli View Post
Thank you! I will def order more quicklinks so I can take the chains off and rotate/wax process.
No worries. Let me know if you have any other questions.