Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-19-2018, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mktng View Post
do they legit leave prescription meds without signatures?

or are you just throwing fuel into this fire :P
Yep, they sure do. In fact about 2 years ago DoD forced all retirees to either take home delivery of their meds or make the drive to a base somewhere to get them. So I know have to take time off work to go get my meds because I'm not about to have them sent through the mail.
Old 12-19-2018, 04:49 PM

I laughed so loud at work people thought i was crazy thats funny
Old 12-19-2018, 06:56 PM

It's strange. The older I get the more understanding and compassionate I get in many areas. I consider that growth and I'm happy when I see the results.

At the same time, when I see this kind of thievery and/or people looting homes and businesses after hurricanes and such...I get even angrier than I used to. I don't think they deserve capital punishment (well maybe) but I think I'm getting tired with just "a slap on the wrist" or worse yet, the cops just not interested in pursuing this stuff.

I applaud this guy and his ingenious technology. But next time, make it "hurt" a little more. Dye that doesn't wash off or odors that take weeks to dissipate.
And get off of my lawn!
Old 12-19-2018, 07:16 PM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker View Post
”...But next time, make it "hurt" a little more. Dye that doesn't wash off or odors that take weeks to dissipate...”
A few too many of the thieves were “laughing along with the prank” in video, so it needs tuning to have more of an educational impact.
Old 12-19-2018, 07:33 PM

I think this video is brilliant in a variety of ways.

Google Mark Rober. Interesting background.
Old 12-19-2018, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtdiggler View Post
scenario : Thief opens package while driving causing an accident and sues the guy that set the trap for a million plus and lives happily ever after.
Only in the US of A..
Old 12-19-2018, 08:26 PM

Indianapolis homeowner facing criminal charges after mistaking undercover IMPD officer for porch pirate: https://fox59.com/2018/12/19/homeown...minal-charges/.

Quote:
...According to the affidavit, Scott Strother used his SUV to block the officer’s car and confronted the officer with his hand on a pistol in his pocket because he “thought the officer was on his street stealing packages that had been delivered.”

“He had no intent on threatening an officer, obviously,” said Strother’s wife.

Prosecutors claim the undercover officer activated the red and blue lights on his visor and ordered the suspect to get back in his car, but Strother’s wife claims the officer didn’t properly identify himself until backup officers arrived, leading to a misunderstanding that turned criminal...
Old 12-19-2018, 08:51 PM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

It is remarkably easy in life to not be a thieving porch pirate.
Simply do not steal items that do not belong to you. That’s it.
Old 12-20-2018, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Jays View Post
It is remarkably easy in life to not be a thieving porch pirate.
Simply do not steal items that do not belong to you. That’s it.
Yup. This type of behavior just drives me crazy. Last week, while walking my dog, I found a wallet next to a car in the driveway. As it was really early I did not want to ring the bell so I just put the wallet inside their storm door. Never even looked to see if there was any money inside. I'm sure most people would do the same. Too bad lots still would not.

Tim
Old 12-20-2018, 07:09 AM

How about this encounter?

He shamed her quite well and kudos to him for not shooting her, but I'll bet you a dime bag she's been to 10 more porches since this video.

https://youtu.be/Xb9bvjz4rBM
Old 12-20-2018, 09:48 AM

The socioeconomics of the original video are puzzling. The area where the packages are being delivered to (North Shore) is some of the richest real estate in the Chicago-land area. None of the thieves looked destitute at all. I live about 10 miles West of there, way more middle-class, package thefts, break-ins, etc are virtually non-existent. Why is that? Do people specifically travel to the North Shore to steal packages because it's a wealthier area, or do these people live nearby and are just not as wealthy?
Old 12-20-2018, 10:34 AM

If I were a package thief, I'd probably pick a relatively affluent neighborhood that doesn't have a ton of daily foot traffic. The kind of people who love to get toys shipped to their doors. Does that description fit the North Shore?

You don't have to be destitute to be a thief. You just have to not care that you are taking someone else's property. This crosses all income brackets.
Old 12-20-2018, 10:41 AM
Administrator

on a more positive note, i live in a small community about 12 miles outside of NYC.

i had some packages stolen last year and our local PD came out to investigate, took a full report and followed up, since it was a few homes in hte area and posted foot patrol officers around the town. the local PD actually "walks the beat"in my town around the holidays now, specifically to increase vigilance and prevent opportunity theft.

fortunately we dont have much real crime here, so i guess they are able to dedicate some manpower to this effort, which i greatly appreciate.
Old 12-20-2018, 10:43 AM

[QUOTE=Jaybee;2472414
You don't have to be destitute to be a thief. You just have to not care that you are taking someone else's property. This crosses all income brackets.[/QUOTE]

This is true.

When I was a military police officer in the Air Force, we caught a retired colonel's wife shoplifting from the BX. She clearly wasn't destitute.

The reason I remember this incident was because we were ordered to release her without charges, because of her husband's rank...
Old 12-21-2018, 08:12 PM
Classics Fan

Just an FYI update... the video is getting some push back for possibly not being 100% real.

https://news.slashdot.org/story/18/1...deo-were-faked

Quote:
A viral video featuring a booby-trapped HomePod box that pranked package thieves with a glitter bomb has been criticized for faking some of the reactions of the would-be "thieves," who were in fact acquaintances of friends of the video's creator. The video, "Package Thief vs. Glitter Bomb Trap" by former NASA engineer Mark Rober, featured the creation of a device constructed inside a HomePod box that spread out glitter once the HomePod box was opened, with four smartphones used to film the event and subsequent reactions from all angles. Clips were shown of people claimed to be package thieves, opening the box and being covered with glitter, before throwing the contraption away.

One thief's vehicle was found to have a number of similar features to one parked near to the house of a friend of Rober, used to film some of the illicit acquisitions, suggesting it was acquired by someone who lived nearby. Another person used Google Street View and Zillow to analyze the third thief's video from inside her home, and determined the side yard and outdoor area bore a striking resemblance to the home next door to the friend's house. Posted to Imgur, the thread of evidence led to others questioning Rober on some of his later edits to the published video, including deletion of small sections and blurring out details. According to Rober, he offered to provide the box to people who were willing to place it on their doorstep, with the offer of financial compensation for successful recoveries of the package, and one "friend of a friend" volunteered to help. Rober has since confirmed that two of the five reactions used in the video were suspicious, and were subsequently removed, but insists the reactions for times when the box was stolen from his doorstep were genuine.
"I'm especially gutted because so much thought, time, money, and effort went into building the device and I hope this doesn't just taint the entire effort as 'fake,'" writes Rober in text placed underneath the video. "It genuinely works (like all the other things I've built on my channel) and we've made all the code and build info public."