Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-18-2024, 03:51 PM

This is Washington DC. I mean I really don't know. There probably is some bike industry stats out there but bike racing is a very fringe sport in the US so it seems to me that most of the bikes sold are not racing bikes. I think we here on the Paceline are in our own little silo. Again, I'm shooting from the hip because I don't really know.

Old 09-18-2024, 04:07 PM
Meh

https://www.strongtowns.org/journal/...le-bike-riders

Also - the reason you don't see bike parking like that in the United States is not theft. It's because in the United States, no one builds parking like that for bikes, they build it for cars. Bicycles are an afterthought, at best. In many buildings where I have worked, bicycles were banned from the building and building management would report you to your employer if you dared bring a bike with you into the building.

And yes, I am aware bicycles get stolen here. I have had several stolen from me - always, in cases where secure parking was unavailable.

Last edited by EB; 09-18-2024 at 04:13 PM.
Old 09-18-2024, 04:36 PM
Back At It!

that's obviously a special event happening, you can tell by the temp fencing.. there are certainly lots of non-race bikes sold, and certainly more since the Lance-effect died off.. but I used to work in a shop on the late aughts and we sold a LOT of diamond frame/drop bar bikes (seemingly designed around a 20 y/o Euro Pro).. the other large category was hardtail MTBs.. and this was not a high-end shop, the higher end shops had ton more drop bar bikes.. this was in San Diego, maybe location played a part..

my point is it's hard to critique Grant's claims of racing influencing cycling when all you see is xx% aero gain, xx% stiffness gain, etc as it pertains to cycling from the major manufacturers.. again, I don't buy in to all that from Grant, but I can see where he gets it from when you look at the marketing and where the dollars are spent.. heck, even look at Wal-Mart bikes, you see an awful lot of disc brake bikes with brakes that most certainly worse than a good caliper or V..

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
This is Washington DC. I mean I really don't know. There probably is some bike industry stats out there but bike racing is a very fringe sport in the US so it seems to me that most of the bikes sold are not racing bikes. I think we here on the Paceline are in our own little silo. Again, I'm shooting from the hip because I don't really know.

Old 09-18-2024, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellyho View Post
My problem is that I look at any current long-chainstay Riv and cringe. They don't look like bikes to me, though I know people enjoy them in bike-ish ways.
I have such a crush on The Legolas Riv used to make. I would buy one in a second, but for obvious reasons, they no longer make that model. It hits the sweet spot of LoFi but is not aggressively eccentric, which is how I feel most if the bikes coming out for Rivendell are these days.
Old 09-18-2024, 04:46 PM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by julian3141 View Post
I have such a crush on The Legolas Riv used to make. I would buy one in a second, but for obvious reasons, they no longer make that model. It hits the sweet spot of LoFi but is not aggressively eccentric, which is how I feel most if the bikes coming out for Rivendell are these days.
yep, me too.. people have suggested to just have Mark Nobilette build me one, but not quite the same for some reason.. plus, not even sure if he's still building..
Old 09-18-2024, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post

I also live in a distorted bubble of brownstone Brooklyn, but what I see is maybe 15% spandex-clad nerds like myself. The rest is a mix that falls into three large buckets: delivery guys, families on various E-cargo bikes, and commuters on bikes that range from beat-up old Pugeots to lower-end canyons. Long story short there are a ton of different ways people ride in the city and most of them don't involve 7K+ bikes.
Old 09-18-2024, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourflys View Post
yep, me too.. people have suggested to just have Mark Nobilette build me one, but not quite the same for some reason.. plus, not even sure if he's still building..
yeah I kind of want the OG. Cant really explain why that matters to me.
Old 09-18-2024, 05:11 PM

When my Romulus cracked at the headtube/downtube junction, I was offered the opportunity to get a Roadini at a discount. I decided to get the Romulus repaired and repainted, because I wanted a lugged frame, not a TIG-welded one, and I preferred the more traditional geometry of the Romulus.

The Roadeo (silly name IMHO, but you can always order without decals) is a traditional road frame, fully lugged, built by Mark Nobillette.

https://www.rivbike.com/products/roadeo

Old 09-18-2024, 05:22 PM
ZhugeLiang

I took on the philosophy very early on in my life that I can learn from anyone without the need to pass judgement. Grant pal is one of those people. I took what works for me in advisement and discarded the rest. In fact, what I discovered is he and I shared some degree of commonalities in terms of our biking philosophy without ever communicated or come into contact until much much later in our lives. Great minds think alike!

Every "Masters" worth their salt come with some level of eccentricity. And the reason is simple. They dare to be different and all they wanted to do was to stay true to their beliefs and values instead of being dictated by the rest of world.
Old 09-18-2024, 05:31 PM
send me the twizzlers yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post

Every "Masters" worth their salt come with some level of eccentricity. And the reason is simple. They dare to be different and all they wanted to do was to stay true to their beliefs and values instead of being dictated by the rest of world.
This ^ .

You can walk on water.
Or you can walk on watered down.

ps

arrange disorder

Old 09-18-2024, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiamme red View Post

The Roadeo (silly name IMHO, but you can always order without decals) is a traditional road frame, fully lugged, built by Mark Nobillette.
The silly names, the language and product copy, the photography- he's still doing those hands!?- all part of the brand. Aggressively eccentric, to borrow julien3141's phrase, about describes it.
Old 09-18-2024, 07:06 PM

If Grant is a Master of anything it's persuasion.
Old 09-18-2024, 08:12 PM

…and long chainstays

Last edited by rccardr; 09-18-2024 at 08:16 PM.
Old 09-18-2024, 08:28 PM

Too few bikes in this thread. Here’s one of my Rivendells (carbon cranks, power meter pedals and all). This is the Roadeo, same as Mark’s bike that is pictured above in white and red. Normally ridden in jersey and bibs except when I’m riding with my son to his elementary school, then it’s regular clothes and flip flops. My kids think I look ridiculous in my cycling gear and I swear it’s not because they’ve been reading anything by Grant.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3534.jpg (154.0 KB, 144 views)

Last edited by Xrslug; 09-18-2024 at 08:55 PM.
Old 09-18-2024, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xrslug View Post
Too few bikes in this thread. Here’s one of my Rivendells (carbon cranks, power meter pedals and all). Normally ridden in jersey and bibs except when I’m riding with my son to his elementary school, then it’s regular clothes and flip flops. My kids think I look ridiculous in my cycling gear and I swear it’s not because they’ve been reading anything by Grant.
Wow that bike rips!