Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 11-14-2021, 07:24 PM
Everything is connected

I saw a woman spend $12,500 on a custom enclosure, plumbing fixtures and hot water heater so that she could hose off her dogs at the stables, before they went into the house….didn’t blink an eye when presented with the cost. $21k for a bike? The margin helps to pay the shop owner’s rent for a while and hopefully the shop employees and owner earn a fair living.
Old 11-14-2021, 07:40 PM

The watch prices make the price of the Baum pretty good for a one of a kind bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-14-2021, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choke View Post
I wouldn't pay that for either, though I'd be more inclined to pay it for the Grand Seiko. And I have owned both brands.
GS Spring Drive is hands down a better movement than Rolex. I just wish GS' design language were more consistent, but it's getting there.
Old 11-15-2021, 06:19 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by choke View Post
I wouldn't pay that for either, though I'd be more inclined to pay it for the Grand Seiko. And I have owned both brands.

PP = Patek Philippe
AP = Audemars Piguet
VC = Vacheron Constantin
ALS = A. Lange & Söhne
BLNR = black/blue bezel GMT Master
AD = authorized dealer

For the 'Grand Seiko'..you'd think they would make it a little more appealing, looking. As a piece of jewelry...
$72,000
$5000

Attached Images
File Type: png SBGA211G.png (119.2 KB, 213 views)
File Type: jpg rolex-datejust-36-automatic-blue-dial-mens-jubilee-watch-126200blsj--.jpg (42.7 KB, 216 views)

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 11-15-2021 at 06:31 AM.
Old 11-15-2021, 07:18 AM

I love bicycles, I really do. I’m convinced the bicycle will help save the world if we’d just let it.

But not this way. This way makes me both very conflicted and sad. You see, I really like very expensive and shiny things.

But this way is destroying our planet. Unbridled, naked consumerism. Making luxury items with no expense (or precious resources) spared, to be purchased by people with huge amounts of expendable income.

How is it we justify personal greed and vanity by stating that if someone has the money, then the expense and object is not only justified but lauded? In the end, what are we really valuing? Not craftsmanship , nor quality, nor performance, we are celebrating the scarcity of an item based on the extraordinary costs.

How is celebrating this any different then celebrating the purchase of a
https://gothelist.com/gen/hermes-bir...xoC4NoQAvD_BwE

What I see is a celebration of extreme excess and a validation of wanton consumerism. If someone has the money, who cares?
Old 11-15-2021, 07:44 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clancy View Post
I love bicycles, I really do. I’m convinced the bicycle will help save the world if we’d just let it.

But not this way. This way makes me both very conflicted and sad. You see, I really like very expensive and shiny things.

But this way is destroying our planet. Unbridled, naked consumerism. Making luxury items with no expense (or precious resources) spared, to be purchased by people with huge amounts of expendable income.

How is it we justify personal greed and vanity by stating that if someone has the money, then the expense and object is not only justified but lauded? In the end, what are we really valuing? Not craftsmanship , nor quality, nor performance, we are celebrating the scarcity of an item based on the extraordinary costs.

What I see is a celebration of extreme excess and a validation of wanton consumerism. If someone has the money, who cares?
Dejavue all over again..the depression ended it, a world war 'fixed' that with huge loss of blood and treasure.

Today, The '1%' is growing, wealth wise, the 99% 'wealth' shrinking. A crisis would make us come together, right? Wrong.

Just deepened the divide, create more division, more conflict.

I got no answers but very pessimistic, Made more so by these last 4-5 years or so.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51fAhGv-v1L.jpg (19.7 KB, 218 views)
Old 11-15-2021, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Dejavue all over again..the depression ended it, a world war 'fixed' that with huge loss of blood and treasure.

Today, The '1%' is growing, wealth wise, the 99% 'wealth' shrinking. A crisis would make us come together, right? Wrong.

I got no answers but very pessimistic, Made more so by these last 4-5 years or so.
Eventually you will be right but what a freaking waste of time having that attitude.
Old 11-15-2021, 09:31 AM

Quote:

Says the guy who lives in The People Republic. Pot kettle, kettle pot. Hysterical.
Old 11-15-2021, 11:29 AM

Quote:

+1 to all of that.
Old 11-15-2021, 11:53 AM
I need you cool.

Quote:

I hear you, but the "consumerism" spectrum on the bicycle is a lot different than that of the handbag you link....

The bicycle is at least a functional bike, that can be ridden, and has the top tier of "everything" on it (didn't look too closely at specs, but I assume so)....much of it limited production, handmade, scarce, etc...whatever.

For the handbag...geez....I don't even know where to start....it holds stuff...how many different or better ways is there to do that? I guess you can lump it into "art"...I really can't identify with that....not really my thing.

The case studies for economics classes must be incredibly interesting for stuff like this.
Old 11-15-2021, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Rider View Post
The watch prices make the price of the Baum pretty good for a one of a kind bike.

No kidding. I have a phone in my pocket that tells time, why the F do I need a heavy piece of metal on my wrist that gets in the way of typing and rips out hair?

Old 11-15-2021, 12:13 PM
The bass playing cyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by krooj View Post
While we're on the topic of Marin, what's a good coffee shop to ride to up there? For reference, I'd consider Home, Sightglass, or Cat & Cloud to be my kinda jam.
Caffe Acri in Tiburon is pretty nice if you're doing the Paradise Loop:

https://www.caffeacri.com/
Old 11-15-2021, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
No kidding. I have a phone in my pocket that tells time, why the F do I need a heavy piece of metal on my wrist that gets in the way of typing and rips out hair?

Well… you can get a watch that will:

* act as a world timer
* stopwatch
* perpetual calendar
* etc
* not dependent on any electrical power source
* runs forever
* will appreciate with time

What bracelets are you wearing that pull out hair?

Old 11-15-2021, 12:22 PM

Quote:

For the 'Grand Seiko'..you'd think they would make it a little more appealing, looking. As a piece of jewelry...
$72,000
$5000

You gotta see GS in the metal. They're wildly different to GS's really quite bad renderings. I have never managed to take a photo of a GS that makes it look as good as it does in real life. I came close with this video of my old SBGR053 though. Look at the way the light reflects from the hour markers and the seconds hand. Wooooooooof! And this level of finishing is in place from the very bottom of the GS lineup which starts at just over $2k. Great value for money.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/FWwFfEygPYkSDAFi6
Old 11-15-2021, 12:26 PM

Quote:

Thought provoking post. But if you follow this premise to its logical conclusion, wouldn’t it preclude viewing (or celebrating) any new bike in the “custom” thread? And isn’t part of the whole premise of the Paceline Forum to highlight the work of boutique (and expensive) frames and frame builders?

Again, not arguing with the veracity of your post. I’m merely wondering if the fact we’re members of this site indicates we either partake or endorse a certain level of “consumerism.”

I would argue that it does.

Last edited by XXtwindad; 11-15-2021 at 01:22 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
conspicuous consumption, veblen goods